Beginner ND filter vignetting

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

My first foray into using ND filters hasn't gone so well!

I've bought 3 and 6 stop Hoya circular screw-in ND filters for my 18-105vr Nikon kit lens. Both the lens and filters are 67mm. I've taken a few test shots and there is vignetting in the corners. Should I be using a bigger filter with an adapter or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Si

Last edited:
Have you stacked them on top of each other?

If so does it have vignetting when you only have one attached to the lens?

Is there vignetting on the lens when these filters aren't attached at the same focal lengths and settings?

What focal lengths are showing vignetting?

Have you stacked them on top of each other?

If so does it have vignetting when you only have one attached to the lens?

Is there vignetting on the lens when these filters aren't attached at the same focal lengths and settings?

What focal lengths are showing vignetting?

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me - I'll have a play around with this when I get chance to narrow it down...

Cheers

Si

So the issue was with stacking filters. On my first attempt I had a UV filter, polariser and ND filter on the lens in that order.. Single ND filter, either 3 or 6 stop is fine at all focal lengths. 3 and 6 stop ND together results in slight vignetting at 18mm, but is gone before 30mm. Time to get out and about and put them to proper use! : )

If that's the case and you want the wider angles without the vignetting then you should purchase bigger filters like 82mm ones and stack them. To fit them onto your lens simply just get a cheap step-up adapter ring from Ebay for buttons :).

For example something like this - This is just an example and might not be exactly what you need so check it first before you buy, if you do buy.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Sounds like a decent option - it'll allow me to buy big enough filters and just buy a different adapter ring if/when I change lenses...

If your using stacked filters remove the UV first* it won't be helping and it's removal may just solve the problem.

* I would also say remove it and never refit it unless you have a very specific reason to. (But that's a different matter. :))

Thanks Graham, it was a bit of a beginners error really - the UV filter is on as a lens protector at all times.. (agreed, another discussion altogether! :)). It'll be off from now on when using other filters!

Back