ND FILTERS WITH STROBES

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I wonder if any you have experience with ND filters.

I am wondering which ND filter would be best for photographing a couple (engagement shoot) against the sun with studio strobes (profoto b1).

Anyone with any experience who can shed some light would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Either 2 stop (0.6) or 3 stop (0.9) lens filter is best, most of the time.
The Profoto B1 doesn't have enough power to need a 4 stop (1.2) and anyway a 4 stop can make it difficult to see what you're doing.

Thank Garry

Would something like this be what would be needed. Main idea is for the subject to lit well without over exposing the background.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-hoya-77mm-pro-nd-8-filter/p1546635
Yes, that one will do the job - but IMO it's a ridiculously high price for it.
There are plenty of cheap ones on fleabay, and it's very hard to see any difference in quality between cheap and expensive. Filters are one of those products with a very high brand premium

What Garry said, I think my 3 stop was less than a tenner.

Yes, that one will do the job - but IMO it's a ridiculously high price for it.
There are plenty of cheap ones on fleabay, and it's very hard to see any difference in quality between cheap and expensive. Filters are one of those products with a very high brand premium

especially if you've got a light source (ie the sun in OP's example) in, or even in the rough direction of the frame, I'd disagree, some of the cheap filters give some truly bizarre flare with all sorts of horrendous colours and edging when there's a source in shot. But OP, yeah I have 2 and 4 stop NDs in my bag, mostly for shooting at super shallow depths in sunlight with flash. 3 would probably be the most practical if you're just getting one - or alternatively get one of the variable ones, they do give you something extra to concentrate on though.

especially if you've got a light source (ie the sun in OP's example) in, or even in the rough direction of the frame, I'd disagree, some of the cheap filters give some truly bizarre flare with all sorts of horrendous colours and edging when there's a source in shot. But OP, yeah I have 2 and 4 stop NDs in my bag, mostly for shooting at super shallow depths in sunlight with flash. 3 would probably be the most practical if you're just getting one - or alternatively get one of the variable ones, they do give you something extra to concentrate on though.

Vari-NDs are the worst of the lot if image quality is important.

Vari-NDs are the worst of the lot if image quality is important.

true, the cheap ones are truly awful. I haven't looked too much into them but I understand there's a few fairly good ones at the £100+ mark.

I haven't seen a single variable ND that produces anywhere near acceptable quality - they are after all just a pair of polarising screens that rotate against each other, unsuccessfully fighting the laws of physics.

But I stick with what I said - cheap ND filters are usually fine. I accept Dave's point though that they aren't OK if the light source is included in the shot (they are mostly uncoated) but for most applications, they're up to the job.

Back