Neat Lightroom tip for sport shooters

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
For any of you that are using Lightroom to process images pitch side here's a nice little tip that may help speed up your workflow.

Instead of exporting images to a folder on your hard drive in preparation to attach to an email, you can actually set Lightroom to export your selected images directly into your chosen email application.

All you have to do is go to the export menu and under post processing select
'Open in another application'. This then opens your apps, just select your email client i.e Mail.

Then next time you export an image it will put it straight into a blank email ready for you to insert the address of your agency's picture desk.

Should save a few seconds (y)

You can take it one step further and email directly from LR via Gmail with this plugin:

http://photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrgmail.php

Worth looking at, especially as it's donationware.

As it remembers the field contents from your last email, you can effectively prewrite all the data into it and just hit send!

Edit:

There's another version here as freeware, which doesn't restrict you to using Gmail, but you have to know how to enter your SMTP Server details:

http://www.philbertphotos.com/my-projects.html

The second seems a bit more robust, as I'm getting SMTP Auth errors on the first at the moment, but it doesn't save a copy of the sent file which LRGmail does.

Last edited:
I've had problems with the "open in other application" facility, and use a plugin called "MapiMailer" instead which works 100% of the time. I've asked the guy who wrote it if he can enable presetting the recipients and subject line as well which will save a bit more typing.

Another big helper I've just discovered for Lightroom (via Tobers' blog!) is using a Text Expander software when captioning. That is always what slows me down most compared to PhotoMechanic users who have code replacement. The software he recommended wasn't available for Mac but I found a brilliant one that was called simply Text Expander. You set up sentences and abbreviations (codes) for them, so now when captioning, instead of typing "Gloucester prop (#1) Joe Bloggs passes to lock (#5) blah blah" I type "gl1 p ,gl5" and the software expands it to the full sentence. I've set up codes for all the players in each squad, the ref, and common passages of play, as well as m1, m2 etc for "in the 2nd minute of the game."

Sure you guys already do this but it was a revelation to me.... looking forward to using it for the first time this afternoon. It will make me SO much quicker!

I've had problems with the "open in other application" facility, and use a plugin called "MapiMailer" instead which works 100% of the time. I've asked the guy who wrote it if he can enable presetting the recipients and subject line as well which will save a bit more typing.

Tobers, have a look at the plugin detailed on the second link that I've posted. It takes MapiMailer one step further by emailing from directly within LR, rather than firing up your Email programme, thus cutting out the extra step.

If you set it up properly, you will only have to type the details in once for each match, as it remembers the settings from the previous export; ie email address (To and From), subject line, Body text, Sig Block etc etc.

Back