Nec photography show 2019

Will wait and see more detail on who is presenting / attending. Having gone for about 10 years in its various guises sometimes it gets a bit samey. As it stands there no products I really need, and there doesn't seem to be anything majorly new come out. If I do go it would prob be on the first Saturday this year, I have historically gone on the penultimate and last days in the hope that its quieter.

Hope to go to this one missed this years , but I think there might be lots of new stuff worth seeing next year

Just bought tickets for daughter and myself, might as well take advantage of the 30% off early buyer discount.

Yes - I go every year - although I had that nasty flu so didn't buy anything - unusual for me. I will start my list in January :D. I hope they have someone as good as Sebastiao Salgado; missed him last year.

I'm guessing it'll be a bunch of vloggers giving talks this year, or am I being too cynical? I'd love something like that over here all the same

I'm guessing it'll be a bunch of vloggers giving talks this year, or am I being too cynical? I'd love something like that over here all the same
There were a few vloggers last year though I did go to any of the talks. Thomas Heaton was the big name vlogger. There are usual a few well known names doing talks on the stands. For landscape and wildlife photographers there are usually a few talks to go to. Last year there was Chris Packham and Richard Peters on the canon and Nikon stands (can’t remember if Andy Rouse was in the canon lineup). Joe Cornish did a couple of good talks which I went to as I’ve alwayd wanted to see him. My favourite last year was the fotospeed talk stand with the togcast as hosts. It was great to see talks by photographers I had listened to on the togcast and put a face to voices & photos.

Hopefully fotospeed have a larger talk stand this year as their talks were on par or better than some of the big companies. I doubt they would be given it as it’s likely to be x £ per square metre. It’s a shame as the smaller companies can’t compete with the big companies financially when it comes to space. I’ve alwsys felt a ‘community stage’ shared and surrounded by smaller companies would be a great idea.

You’re in Northern Ireland aren’t you? Would you be able to fly in and out for the day? Birmingham airport is literally onsite. Not sure if any budget airline cover that route and make it potentially more cost effective.

There were a few vloggers last year though I did go to any of the talks. Thomas Heaton was the big name vlogger. There are usual a few well known names doing talks on the stands. For landscape and wildlife photographers there are usually a few talks to go to. Last year there was Chris Packham and Richard Peters on the canon and Nikon stands (can’t remember if Andy Rouse was in the canon lineup). Joe Cornish did a couple of good talks which I went to as I’ve alwayd wanted to see him. My favourite last year was the fotospeed talk stand with the togcast as hosts. It was great to see talks by photographers I had listened to on the togcast and put a face to voices & photos.

Hopefully fotospeed have a larger talk stand this year as their talks were on par or better than some of the big companies. I doubt they would be given it as it’s likely to be x £ per square metre. It’s a shame as the smaller companies can’t compete with the big companies financially when it comes to space. I’ve alwsys felt a ‘community stage’ shared and surrounded by smaller companies would be a great idea.

You’re in Northern Ireland aren’t you? Would you be able to fly in and out for the day? Birmingham airport is literally onsite. Not sure if any budget airline cover that route and make it potentially more cost effective.

Nah, I'm down south, it's possible I mean Ryanair do cheap as chips runs - though these days they're trying to clamp down on you taking more than a pack of sandwiches onboard! - I've nothing against vloggers in general, only don't want to see them taking over photography events like this. Many of them are both, vlogger/photographer, and that's fine, but the video-only guys ... not for me.

Just bought tickets for daughter and myself, might as well take advantage of the 30% off early buyer discount.
Just picked up my tickets with that discount offer. At £10.47 thats probably a better price than the manufacturers pre show discount codes will give. It’s also nice that you don’t need to select a day to visit. Seem to remember advanced tickets used to be day specific. Perhaps after all the issues last year with the snow on the Sunday they have removed that limitation. There were quite a few who couldn’t make the Sunday and were trying to see if there tickets could be used on the Monday and Tuesday instead.
I wonder if any day tickets could potentially be problematic. How are they going to know how many are going to turn up each day? Surely there is a maximum visitor capacity for each NEC hall. I wonder if they have ever got close to it?

Nah, I'm down south, it's possible I mean Ryanair do cheap as chips runs - though these days they're trying to clamp down on you taking more than a pack of sandwiches onboard! - I've nothing against vloggers in general, only don't want to see them taking over photography events like this. Many of them are both, vlogger/photographer, and that's fine, but the video-only guys ... not for me.
Its possibly worth looking into one year. I quite like going each year. I’ve definitely changed why I go. The first year I went I got lost looking at equipment I was potentially interested in over the next few years, but now I mainly go for the talks and rarely look at gear.

If you book places like the premier inn early and are not particular about which night you stay prices can be ok and worth making it a 2 day trip. I’ve booked a room for the Sunday night for £40. Sadly for me car parking isn’t going to be far off that price for 2 days and 1 night at the NEC. The only issue booking early is you’re booking blind. You can’t book a specific day depending on who you want to see but many talks cover more than one day so it’s usually ok.

I was there this year, drove three and a half hours across country from Norfolk.
Thank god for the free bus service from the car parks....it would have been an awfully long walk....and it was freezing!!

I went for the talks....wanted to see Chris Packhams talk about the Canon 5DSR, but missed it unfortunately.
I did get to see Gavin Hoey though....he's always entertaining and knowledgeable.

Even though the Sunday is the 'quiet' day, I thought it was still quite busy, but then I have no frame of reference since it was my first visit.

I enjoyed it, but I probably won't be going next year....the drive was very tiring, and although it's to be expected, the food was incredibly over priced!
Over £8 for a toasted cheese sandwich....should have brought a packed lunch!

Its possibly worth looking into one year. I quite like going each year. I’ve definitely changed why I go. The first year I went I got lost looking at equipment I was potentially interested in over the next few years, but now I mainly go for the talks and rarely look at gear.

If you book places like the premier inn early and are not particular about which night you stay prices can be ok and worth making it a 2 day trip. I’ve booked a room for the Sunday night for £40. Sadly for me car parking isn’t going to be far off that price for 2 days and 1 night at the NEC. The only issue booking early is you’re booking blind. You can’t book a specific day depending on who you want to see but many talks cover more than one day so it’s usually ok.

Cheers, I will actually look into it, as I've never been to anything like this, only local exhibitions and talks. It would be nice to expand the horizons.

How did you get 30% off?
Had an email from the show promoters with a code, think I expressed an interest at a trade show I attended in London couple of years ago.

My daughter went to Photokina and her first comments were about how many were there videoing it.
Some doing numerous retakes, presumably they make a few quid from this sort of thing

My daughter went to Photokina and her first comments were about how many were there videoing it.
Some doing numerous retakes, presumably they make a few quid from this sort of thing

I’ve noticed the number of people doing that at the NEC has grown too. There are usually a few walking about videoing it. Haven’t seen anyone doing a ‘walk pass the camera’ take yet though! I guess we can add vloggers to the list that includes people carrying huge lenses that at totally inappropriate for the venue.

Going over from northern Ireland on the Monday morning and attending Monday and Tuesday, flying back Tuesday night. Flights were £66 return when I booked in the spring and monday night in Travelodge was £49 inc breakfast so not too bad. Enjoy the speakers. This year Gavin Hoey, Tommy Reynolds and Glenn Norwood were great. Frank Doorhof had an equipment failure when I saw his presentation on the Tuesday! His missus cheaped out on the speed light batteries and they failed... and he wasn't best pleased!

Talks - some outstanding, some not so much, some deals - although not as good as they used to be because partly the £ is so weak, and just generally being immersed in matters photographic. all the big names are there to get hands on if you are having a GAS attack,. lots of album sellers. Tripod people: Manfrotto, Gitzo, 3LT and others. Gear names that spring to mind: speed graphic, Think tank at Snapperstuff, Rohan, some travel firms, expensive food. Maybe a chance for a sensor clean - some paid for, occasionally one brand does them. Printer paper people - all of them I think. Labs: DSCL Whitewall and a couple of others. A couple of unis I think have a stall. Magazines. Books. On a couple of days I think Comicon is in on the hall next door and they parade through. If you are a professional, you can go in for free. CPS lounge. Check out their website which must be live now as the registration e mail has come.

Never been. What am I missing?
from a manufacturers point of view
all the manufacturers there so for example if you wanted to see what a benro v manfrotto v sirui v 3 legged thing v all the others were like to actually hold and go compare. Same for bags etc. Not often you get to have hands on on such a wide range from all the manufacturers. Same with bags etc. Often small startups will be there too with products you didn't know you needed.

As far as learning, loads of big stage talks and little stand with lighting setup. Lots of models on these stands that sometimes you can practice. It does however sometimes get samey after a number of years going as its unlikely that lighting configurations will change much. And speakers will update you as to what they got up to since the last one.

I see tickets are being sold not for a specific day but if you buy a one day ticket you can chose which day you go,

Going over from northern Ireland on the Monday morning and attending Monday and Tuesday, flying back Tuesday night. Flights were £66 return when I booked in the spring and monday night in Travelodge was £49 inc breakfast so not too bad. Enjoy the speakers. This year Gavin Hoey, Tommy Reynolds and Glenn Norwood were great. Frank Doorhof had an equipment failure when I saw his presentation on the Tuesday! His missus cheaped out on the speed light batteries and they failed... and he wasn't best pleased!
I’ll be there mon,I get free pass for all 4 days so if anyone wants it for tues can meet Monday and can have it

I’ll be there mon,I get free pass for all 4 days so if anyone wants it for tues can meet Monday and can have it
Very generous offer. I've already got tickets for my 2 days otherwise I would have taken you up on it. I'm sure that someone will snap it up! Cheers.

Does any one know of any promo codes that allow you to get cheaper tickets as in previous years?

I see they're now splitting the branding in to the Photography Show and the Video Show. It doesn't seem like it's an expansion of floor space; hopefully they're not trying to cram even more in to an already full space.

I see they're now splitting the branding in to the Photography Show and the Video Show. It doesn't seem like it's an expansion of floor space; hopefully they're not trying to cram even more in to an already full space.

Not a bad idea me thinks, went for the first time last year, and must admit due to I wasn't driving, and the driver decided they wanted to be back home by 3pm, meant I spent only a couple of hours there not good when you've driven all the way from Somerset. So this year I'm driving and will be staying longer.

Not sure what I'm going to be looking at yet

I think the code EZPTPS19 gives 20% off regular one day entry.

here's another …
SPKTPS19
Gives 20% off standard adult tickets

I prefer Photokina as most of the new kit is actually on the stands, but it's very taxing as my technical German isn't good enough for some of the conferences and seminars so I have to really concentrate.

The NEC Show is OK, but the best stuff is off stand, but at least it's free.

NPhoto has the following code NPHOTPS19 25% off

Back