Nec photography show 2019

The NEC have a captive audience, yes its expensive, but you know it will be and same applies to food and drink.
In some respects its good they have that much parking, many venues have none or very little
Excel is twenty quid a day and NEC is nearly a tenner cheaper than parking for the day in central Cambridge.

Last edited:
I'll also add that you can't get Express parking, I enquired a little while back and was told there isn't any available for The Photography Show, something to do with it being used as disabled parking..?

I'll also add that you can't get Express parking, I enquired a little while back and was told there isn't any available for The Photography Show, something to do with it being used as disabled parking..?

If camera clubs are anything to go by many visitors to the Photography Show will want those spaces

The cost of parking takes the mick at the NEC
Park at Birmingham International station, £9 all day at weekends. Or park at Coventry station, £5 all day at weekends, and a Coventry - Birmingham international day return ticket is £2.20, total £7.20.

The cost of parking takes the mick at the NEC

It's not the NEC that sets the price, it's the show.

As mentioned above if your going to the Caravan, Camping and Motorhome show this week, parking is free.

What we have done recently is stay til the very end, make our way out very slowly, go to Costa for a long coffee, then by the time you get to the car around 6:30, the staff have gone home and the gates are left open. Done this for the last 3 years, would rather spend £12 on Coffee and Cake!

Ill be there again, went two years ago and enjoyed it, only going for two days this time. Got my trade passes through the door last week.

Having been to the motorhome show at the weekend, we did get the impression that they might be installing automatic machines at the gates in the car parks, which would mean that our usual plan is out the window.

New plan for parking..... park in Resort World, £15 for up to 12 hours, discounted to £2 if you spend over £20 in the resort, so we're having dinner before we leave. If you gonna have to spend that much on parking, I'd rather spend it on food instead!

I'm going Sunday for the first time and hopefully not the last time

I'll be there on the Monday - mainly shopping for a drone / training / insurance for work.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if coaches from London stop at the NEC ?
I drive for a living and want a day off :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know it coaches from London stop at the NEC ?
I drive for a living and want a day off :)

Go by train, they definitely stop there.
The slower service from Marylebone to New St is a lot cheaper, quite often about thirty quid return.

New plan for parking..... park in Resort World, £15 for up to 12 hours, discounted to £2 if you spend over £20 in the resort, so we're having dinner before we leave. If you gonna have to spend that much on parking, I'd rather spend it on food instead!

I like the sound of your idea. The cost of NEC and premier inn parking (2 days & 1 night) will be more than our premier inn room for the night! We were thinking of going for a meal at resort world too and it will save a little on parking too. Hopefully it will be better than the takeaway pizza we had last year :)

Any idea how far the walk will be and how long it will take?

I'll be there on Monday! I normally go on Saturday but everyone I know seems to go on a Monday so perhaps I'll bump into some familiar faces.

I know :banana:. I am just hoping that my surgeon doesn't ban me from going [just had knee op]. We are delaying until the Monday. I really wanted to see Pete Souza. Hey ho.

from a manufacturers point of view
all the manufacturers there so for example if you wanted to see what a benro v manfrotto v sirui v 3 legged thing v all the others were like to actually hold and go compare. Same for bags etc. Not often you get to have hands on on such a wide range from all the manufacturers. Same with bags etc. Often small startups will be there too with products you didn't know you needed.

As far as learning, loads of big stage talks and little stand with lighting setup. Lots of models on these stands that sometimes you can practice. It does however sometimes get samey after a number of years going as its unlikely that lighting configurations will change much. And speakers will update you as to what they got up to since the last one.

I see tickets are being sold not for a specific day but if you buy a one day ticket you can chose which day you go,

Thanks for that. I ought to go one day.

At the moment I don't need any gear or opportunities to photograph models though!

Received an email from the photography show (actually seems to be from the NEC) today stating

Please arrive as early as possible to allow time for enhanced security checks and we encourage you to only bring essential items. Bags the size of a small laptop bag or handbag are advisable, but small portable empty hand carry trolleys may be allowed into the event.”

I was looking to consider a new camera bag. Therefore ideally wanted to take my current bag with my camera etc so I could check any bags I think are suitable will hold what I want it to. I know previously you could take in your own equipment to try either lens or bags etc. I’llprobably contact them directly to confirm but I assume it’s still going to be ok to bring stuff to trial products.

Any thoughts?

Received an email from the photography show (actually seems to be from the NEC) today stating

Please arrive as early as possible to allow time for enhanced security checks and we encourage you to only bring essential items. Bags the size of a small laptop bag or handbag are advisable, but small portable empty hand carry trolleys may be allowed into the event.”

I was looking to consider a new camera bag. Therefore ideally wanted to take my current bag with my camera etc so I could check any bags I think are suitable will hold what I want it to. I know previously you could take in your own equipment to try either lens or bags etc. I’llprobably contact them directly to confirm but I assume it’s still going to be ok to bring stuff to trial products.

Any thoughts?
Daft as the number of people that walk round with their cameras the 70-200 seems to be the favourite and camera bags you’d need a clicker to count.

Daft as the number of people that walk round with their cameras the 70-200 seems to be the favourite and camera bags you’d need a clicker to count.

Lots of people seem to bring every bit of gear that they own, which I’ve never understood at this show... with the exception of testing your kit in a new bag, but even then, I don’t think I would bother.

Just heard Mike Browne is doing a talk on monday at the behind the lens stage 12.12-40,i love his youtube presentations and his enthusiasm,will be good to meet him

Any thoughts?
NEC didn't fully answer my question but said that the Photography Show FAQs say you can bring your camera. So I'm taking that means I can take my bag with stuff that I want to try in my quest for a new bag.

Any thoughts?

NEC didn't fully answer my question but said that the Photography Show FAQs say you can bring your camera. So I'm taking that means I can take my bag with stuff that I want to try in my quest for a new bag.

It's a generic security statement from the NEC, so what ever event you attend you will see this added to the email. So depending on the event you attending will depend what you're allowed to take in with you. Don't think that the organisers/security of a Concert would take too kindly a punter turning up with Camera kit :)

I'm going just take my camera and one lens, but this is only because I want to take a look at the Canon R, but want to see about using my Sigma lenses via the mount is like. Could be the deal breaker or maker.

I like the sound of your idea. The cost of NEC and premier inn parking (2 days & 1 night) will be more than our premier inn room for the night! We were thinking of going for a meal at resort world too and it will save a little on parking too. Hopefully it will be better than the takeaway pizza we had last year :)

Any idea how far the walk will be and how long it will take?
what day you going Rob?

Back