Nec photography show 2019

Am I right in thinking the Adobe theatre won’t be at the show this year and it’s been replaced with the editing suite? It’s nice the show will have more accessibility for other software manufacturers but it’s a shame if the Adobe theatre isn’t there. I always found a few of the talks useful for specific editing techniques I wanted to know more about.

A request if I may of those going today, could you check if the car park exits are automated or still manned by a real person? We were planning to park in the Resort World but unfortunately the car suffered some damage on a pot hole so we've got to take the Campervan and that won't fit in a multi-storey car park and I need to work out my options!

10% off Godox flashes? Got an AD200 for £239.

Is the AD200 Pro there?

PS Lencarta are also doing 10% off for the duration of the show for those who can't make it!

Pete Souza talked through his time at the white house, with a very good selection of photos and lots of anecdotes. Some of was laugh out loud, and some tear jerking moments.

It seemed that he was quite attached to President Obama and they had a very strong bond and understanding.

Well worth it in my opinion.

I’m home now and was there from 10am up to 3:30 and managed to do barely anything. After a talk from the guy who did some Top Gear stuff, Pete Souza and Lara Jade, you’d think that leaves hours to check out the stands...shop around and stuff. I looked at 3 legged thing, Benro, Gitzo, Manfrotto and then went to Wex to buy a tripod. Godox to buy a flash and that’s it. Didn’t go to Sony, Canon or Nikon stand. Walked into the Pro lounge for 5 mins, sat down and eat something for 30 and that’s 5 and a half hours gone.

Pete Souza

FfBLcDH.jpg

Lara Jade

7clM9qu.jpg

Last edited:
Martin Parr took us through a selection of his photographs from when he took up photography, inspired by his grandfather. There was some discussion about what photography was and its ethics, but mostly it was about what he was trying to achieve with each photo he showed (which were largely corralled into projects, and spoken about in the context of the project aim).

There was brief discussion on technique, and how the saturated style he has came from flash and colour film, and digital allows him to keep that style. (That’s what I understood, anyway).

He has produced a lot of books, so I bought one and got him to sign it. I wish I’d done the same for Pete Souza, but I was running out of time. Plus I can always buy a book anytime...

Last year it fell in the middle of a snow period which probably kept the numbers down a bit. That said, we found absolutely zero traffic to get in yesterday. We assumed it was comic-con not being on the same weekend.

Enjoy. I was impressed by the show (first time going).

Saw 3 talks. They were all pretty good but one was excellent. Only point I would make is that if you go to a talk sponsored by a brand - it ends up being a bit of a sales pitch at times for their kit (understandably if they're paying for it).

Some good deals.

I didn't manage to get round everything and would happily go back for a second day.

Last year it fell in the middle of a snow period which probably kept the numbers down a bit. That said, we found absolutely zero traffic to get in yesterday. We assumed it was comic-con not being on the same weekend.
The snow last year diffinetely affected numbers. There was a wink emoji added to my tongue in cheek comment but it hasn’t appeared in the text.

Traffic for me was excellent none at all and straight in. You could be right about comic-con reducing traffic volume. There’s usually a lot around outside.

Wasn’t as impressed this year compared to previous years. Missed the Adobe theatre and the things I was after weren’t any cheaper than Amazon even when they were on offer.

The deal on the 5dMkiv was good, £1999 after cashback and may have been almost enough to keep me from going grey if I’d realised a couple of weeks ago. (It was about £300 cheaper than I’d guessed but still over £300 more than I paid)

Enjoyed Amy Shore’s talk on the Nikon stand in the morning, got to check out a few bags and monopods and learnt a bit from a couple of Canon and Social sessions.

Station parking a piece of cake as usual. Arrived at 9:57 left at 16:48. Only £9.

Enjoy. I was impressed by the show (first time going).

Saw 3 talks. They were all pretty good but one was excellent. Only point I would make is that if you go to a talk sponsored by a brand - it ends up being a bit of a sales pitch at times for their kit (understandably if they're paying for it).

Some good deals.

I didn't manage to get round everything and would happily go back for a second day.
I quite like going. Been going since it was ‘focus on imaging’ (probably about 6-7 years). Talks are usually good. I tend to stay away from the sponsored talks for the reason you say. Last year was our first 2 day visit. Done the same this year as there is so much to see and do.

Wasn’t as impressed this year compared to previous years. Missed the Adobe theatre and the things I was after weren’t any cheaper than Amazon even when they were on offer.

The deal on the 5dMkiv was good, £1999 after cashback and may have been almost enough to keep me from going grey if I’d realised a couple of weeks ago. (It was about £300 cheaper than I’d guessed but still over £300 more than I paid)

Enjoyed Amy Shore’s talk on the Nikon stand in the morning, got to check out a few bags and monopods and learnt a bit from a couple of Canon and Social sessions.

Station parking a piece of cake as usual. Arrived at 9:57 left at 16:48. Only £9.
hi there, how close is the state parking to the main NEC do you reckon? sounds interesting. That, or coming back really late to NEC car park and 'forgetting to pay'

We’re here, if anyone wants to say hello, look for a fat bloke with a toddler in a blue pushchair!

hi there, how close is the state parking to the main NEC do you reckon? sounds interesting. That, or coming back really late to NEC car park and 'forgetting to pay'

I’m probably not great at estimating but I’d say 5minutes maybe. Basically into the station, maybe 100m (200max) across the bridge from station to NEC. That brings you in on the NEC plaza on the opposite corner to the entrance of Hall 5. All under cover except about 10metres between station and multi-storey.

If you’ve not got any mobility issues I’d think it was a no brainier.

For me it’s quicker (no waiting for buses) cheaper and more comfortable (not fond of sweaty cramped buses if you hit the rush)

Last edited:
I think I’m going to miss that too. Just found out the editing suite is outside of the main hall so that’s s pain.im guessing they have done it to make more room for everything else.

Yeah, I use the Adobe photography suite, so the Adobe bias suited me as well. Think there was only one talk on colour toning I liked the look of this year and it wasn’t on yesterday unfortunately.

I'm not going up until Tuesday, only day I could get up there if I was going to go, not great as most of the interesting talks are done and dusted.

But am interested in a couple of things, hubby's decided that he wants to up grade his Nikon D3200 to something newer, so will be looking at some of the Nikon's, and I going to be looking at the Canon R, still in two minds if I like it, I do want a bargain if not, then probably come home with nothing, but saying that a couple of Lenses I considering upgrading, if I don't go down the mirrorless route..

Back