need a few reminders about various settings

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. Currently in Agra using my Nikon D5100. Love it so far (the camera I mean) although my photos look a bit newbie-ish :) but then they probably would as the camera is fresh out of the box.
A few questions for you if you have time.
How do I turn off that horrible focus assistor light?
I don't think my silent shutter release works, it still makes an awful 'oh look at me everybody, I'm taking photos' sound. Maybe it's not meant to be quiet?

Cheers

PS. Love the roaming charges :(
PPS. Taj tomorrow, sunrise, hopefully sunset from the back.

The AF assist light can be turned off on option A2 in the menu. Alternatively, if it is like other nikons it will also not illuminate if you are using AFC focussing or using any focussing point other than the centre one.

I'm surprised you find the shutter loud. I think it is pretty quiet compared to most DSLR though bear in mind that 'quiet' mode does not mean silent.

Hi Graham, Raptors :)
I have indeed been using centre point focusing as I was under the impression that this is maybe a good place to start for a newbie (focus then recompose etc), along with Aperture priority.
I guess I shouldn't have expected the quiet mode to be totally silent, I'm getting used to it though and haven't really had anyone giving me dirty looks - apart from a group of Japanese people who were taking some strange panaramic(?) photos of the Taj using 4 twin lens (3D?) cameras all linked up.

Back