Need a new camera - Fuji X-T20 or something else?

bes

Edit My Images
No
HI All

I hope I am posting in the right place!

I am after a new camera as all my stuff was stolen in a burglary recently :( (Nikon D80, about half a dozen lenses and a load of accessories - old stuff I know but I liked it)

The insurance I had has not really covered all that much of my loss, so I don't have a huge amount to spend, however, I have to say I did find the D80 and all the lenses a bit bulky, so would definitely welcome something more compact and lighter to carry around.

Having asked/ researched a bit already, the Fuji X-T20 seems to get good feedback from pretty much everyone/ everywhere. Before I embark on looking for a second hand one, is there anything else I should perhaps consider, or a reason why this might not be the best choice?
I am not a super serious photographer or anything, but do like to have a good camera available for when the moment calls.

Thanks

MOD EDIT: have a short forum holiday for your fifth attempt at trading outside of the classifieds...

you really should have realised by now we don't like it, we don't allow it, and we act upon it whenever we notice it, or it's reported to us...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about the burglary and insurance woes.

Not much wrong with the X-T20. Must admit I prefer the EVF and joystick on the X-T2 but I assume they're a fair bit more expensive? I certainly wouldn't feel disappointed with an X-T20 though! I guess you could also look at the X-E3 which uses the same sensor but in a rangefinder style body. Some people prefer that. The Fuji system generally is fantastic with bodies and lenses for everyone. Would be well worth picking up an 18-55 if you can. Really nicely built and good optics for not a lot of money. Unless you have your eye on something else very specific, it's almost no brainier.

The XT30 is on the way, which will see the used prices on XT20 drop, though they are already great value. Combined with the excellent 18-55 lens makes for a tidy but very capable little kit.

Try it out first, its a very small camera and doesn't suit everybody, I have a X-T10 (identical body) as a back up, but not keen on using it.
Fine as far as the output is concerned, but personally don't like the feel or function in the hand.

*edit* Thinking about it could let my X-T10 with a spare battery go at a reasonable price if it helps you out after the theft of your gear.
Stick a wanted thread up and let me know if you are interested

Last edited:
If you are used to a DSLR then the EVF(electronic viewfinder) May take some getting used to esp if it’s a low quality one. If you process RAW files you will find that you will have to process them (Fuji RAF)slightly differently. My suggestion would be to try one one out before you buy.

Thanks all- I will definitely try and get my hands on an X-T20 first.
I am off to Tasmania to do some hiking/ driving in a couple of weeks so would love to have something decent before that so holding out for price drops when the X-T30 is launched may not be an option sadly.

Thanks for the offer @tijuana taxi - appreciated - I cannot post in the classifieds yet but will think about it regardless. I know the X-T10 is getting on a little bit now (however still a very capable body) but assuming all the lenses etc will work on newer Fuji models it would probably do nicely as a solution for a while until I can pull some more funds together and start to build a new system with lenses, filters, etc.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for a Fuji, look at their refurb store (google ‘Fuji refurb’) as they are very well priced and you still get the Fuji warranty.

Yes I've just checked it out - There are a couple of X-T20's on there with lenses - one has the XC 15-45 and the other the XF 18-55 lens. Reading the XF can be a bit soft at the 50+ range? I am tempted by the one with the XC15-45 to get me started, and see how I go from there..... (I am also balancing this with waiting for a settlement figure from my insurance co. which could affect things!)

Another vote for the XF lens - it is way better than a typical kit lens.

Well talk about good timing - I just confirmation of a settlement on contents - much quicker than expected too - and it doesn't make up for my losses but gives me enough for my nicked computers and enough spare change for the X-T20 with the XF 18-55 @ £719. By the sounds of things this would be a good buy?!
(I will go and have a look at one in the flesh tonight but if its similar to my mate's Olympus M43 then I will like it)

Last edited:
Order placed - I actually decided to go for the XC16-50 lens in the end as I thought it looked like a great price. Its arriving tomorrow. The setup seems to get very good reviews and it seems all Fuji's lenses are amazing. I am on a budget still and I want to try as much of the Fuji system out as I can.
At the price I paid I won't really lose anything on buying/ selling through the range of lenses if I go second hand. My upcoming trip in 2 weeks is going to be quite 'outdoorsy' and sunny (Australia!) so I am happy to sacrifice the extra stop the XF's would give me for now. I'll re-evaluate after my holiday and maybe pick up another lens or 2 or trade the 16-50 for something better.

Can't wait to give it a try!

Last edited:
Back