Need advice on Astro photography Equipment

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
i am looking at purchasing Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT) Computerised Telescope and was wondering what other equipment I need to take photos with this telescope.

I have Nikon D810 and needing to know what attachments I require to take photos of the planets and sky?

I was also considering purchasing a Altair Hypercam 183C USB3.0 Colour Deepsky Camera but not found any reviews on if it's worth the large price tag and how easy it is to use.

Also if anyone can recommend any other equipment that would be great.

Before you invest in any equipment, buy a copy of Steve Richards' excellent "Making Every Photon Count". It'll help you to understand what you need and why. I'd always recommend a decent mono camera and filter wheel rather than a one shot colour - use of a filter wheel will let you experiment with narrow band photography and different palettes. Atik cameras are well thought of and reasonably priced (for astrophotography cameras that is :D ). Have a look on a reputable supplier's website to get an idea of what's available and for prices. First Light Optics are very helpful as are Modern Astronomy and 365 Astronomy. I'd also recommend joining a good astronomy forum to pick up hints and tips - stargazers lounge for example.

I really can't overemphasise the need to research carefully before you buy!

Definitely get the book recommended above.... Its something of an imagers bible.

Now the question...... What do you want to image? Planets? Moon? Deep sky objects (such as nebula or galaxies)? I ask as these things each have different requirements and one set up doesn't fit all sadly.

For DSO's you will benefit HUGELY from a German Equatorial mount.... This will enable you to take long exposures as it moves in both axis and so allows for the rotation and elevation of the target. Do not get an alt/azi mount if your goal is deep space.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the most important thing is the scope..... It isn't.... And neither is bigger better. Astro flies in the face if conventional wisdom!!

I'd be looking at a nice ED80 scope on an HEQ5 mount.... Many nebulas are big and this is a great combination.

In addition you need a dark location and if that is not in your garden you will need to transport your setup so weight and size become important. Conventional wisdom is as Sara says start with high quality medium priced stuff and move on to bigger more expensive as your needs/abilities improve. Have a look at Sarah's website, it is full of terrific information and charts her journey, plus her images are quite literally out of this world and inspirational.
Matt

Last edited:
Some idea of your experience would help, ie are you new to astronomy and astrophotography or have you done some and are looking at either buying your own kit or upgrading from what you have? Astro kit these days is so readily available and (relatively) affordable that a beginner can fall for the hype and think astrophotography (or even astronomy) is easy. It isn't, and the kit ends up on ebay. On the other hand if you have some experience you know all this. My bit of advice fwiw is learn to walk before you run, ie get some experience with a dslr before you leap into ccd. Oh, and listen to Sara.

There are 2 people whose advice I'd ask for on this subject - both have posted above!

Luckily (for my bank balance!) I don't have the patience for either taking or processing multi exposure images but equally luckily (for my viewing pleasure) Sara shares her shots with us!!!

Some idea of your experience would help, ie are you new to astronomy and astrophotography or have you done some and are looking at either buying your own kit or upgrading from what you have? Astro kit these days is so readily available and (relatively) affordable that a beginner can fall for the hype and think astrophotography (or even astronomy) is easy. It isn't, and the kit ends up on ebay. On the other hand if you have some experience you know all this. My bit of advice fwiw is learn to walk before you run, ie get some experience with a dslr before you leap into ccd. Oh, and listen to Sara.
I am new when it comes to telescopes and Astro photography. I just want to get the right equipment

Definitely get the book recommended above.... Its something of an imagers bible.

Now the question...... What do you want to image? Planets? Moon? Deep sky objects (such as nebula or galaxies)? I ask as these things each have different requirements and one set up doesn't fit all sadly.

For DSO's you will benefit HUGELY from a German Equatorial mount.... This will enable you to take long exposures as it moves in both axis and so allows for the rotation and elevation of the target. Do not get an alt/azi mount if your goal is deep space.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the most important thing is the scope..... It isn't.... And neither is bigger better. Astro flies in the face if conventional wisdom!!

I'd be looking at a nice ED80 scope on an HEQ5 mount.... Many nebulas are big and this is a great combination.
I would like to do deep sky mainly Sara

Would the Sky-Watcher Esprit-80ED Professional Super APO Triplet Refractor OTA be something I am looking for with the HEQ5 mount.?

I am new when it comes to telescopes and Astro photography. I just want to get the right equipment

In that case one step at a time. Get a scope - learn to use it. The alt az mount is great for visual observing and a doddle to use but for photography you need an equatorial mount which moves in the same plane as the stars etc. When you start with photography use the Nikon first. There will be adaptors you need to get to attach the camera to the scope. I can't tell you what they are as I've only used Newtonian reflectors. For deep sky you'll be attaching your camera (without lens) to the eyepiece tube, ie using the scope as a long lens. To start with I would choose large bright objects, polar align the mount as accurately as you can and take short exposures. I sometimes use a 200mm reflecting scope and can get 60sec exposures without guiding. I will take 60 or 70 and combine (stack) them. I use something called PixInsight, there's also Maxim DL. Neither of these are cheap but will do the processing as well. It's better to start with Deep Sky Stacker, which is free, and use your usual pp software.For longer exposures you'll need to autoguide as the drive on the scope won't be accurate enough, but that's a whole other frustating can of worms. I use a 200mm scope when I have access to it and a 150-600mm camera lens when I don't, all unguided. I don't have the patience or the skill to do anything else. If you look on my flickr you'll find stuff I've done with both. Not in the same league as Sara but it's fairly easy to do and a good starting point.
Another bit of advice - find out if you have an astronomy club/society in your area and join it, because there'll almost certainly be someone who can advise and give you practical help. It's one of those things which is much better learned from someone who's been there, done that, in person - especially when you move on to guided exposures and CCD.

Would the Sky-Watcher Esprit-80ED Professional Super APO Triplet Refractor OTA be something I am looking for with the HEQ5 mount.?

This is a decent 80mm scope for sure - Do buy from a reputable dealer such as First LIght Optics, who have an excellent returns policy. Sadly nothing in Astro seems without its QC issues at times and a good retailer is worth their weight in gold. You will probably need a field flattener to go with that as well - Meanwhile check out the FOV calculators such as this one http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ where you can put in any number of scopes and camera combos, put in a target and see how you feel :)

Shame your not near Manchester, I've got a scmitt cassagrain celestron motorised scope in my loft. I bought it a few years ago but couldn't get into astro photography. It's never going to get used so you could have had it for nowt. Can't remember the make but I could have a look and maybe send it you for the cost of the post. If I remember correctly it's about 110 or 150mm, originally bought for moon photography. It's nothing special but would get you started.

Shame your not near Manchester, I've got a scmitt cassagrain celestron motorised scope in my loft. I bought it a few years ago but couldn't get into astro photography. It's never going to get used so you could have had it for nowt. Can't remember the make but I could have a look and maybe send it you for the cost of the post. If I remember correctly it's about 110 or 150mm, originally bought for moon photography. It's nothing special but would get you started.
Thanks for the kind thought

Back