Need help (again)

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
No
Alright gang, I need some help!

I've put my PC back together following a faulty motherboard, done a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit and things seemed to be okay, but it takes an age to boot and a long time to open programs. Now I'm running an OCZ Agility III as my OS disk. My HDD LED is constantly lit during the first 15 mins or so of up time where it settles down. Also, from my resource monitor page my OS disk is reading 100% highest activity time but no single process seems to be leaping out as the cause.

I've already tried a clean install of W7 with no success.
I've had a look online and many people suggest it's some kind of virus, given that it's all clean formatted media I think that's particularly unlikely, a common solution appears to be setting the SATA controller to IDE instead of AHCI, I've already tried that but it didn't even boot (did POST though).

Any thoughts, I have way too much to be doing to be faffing about with my computer and I need it working to do what I should be doing and as it stands it's not really usable :(

Try a fresh sata cable. You'd be suprised how easily they can become damaged and fail.

You'll need it in achi mode for starters. You need to Tweek the registry before you change it in the bios if you're changing it after installing windows otherwise it'll blue screen when booting.

You'll also need to run the windows experience rating ASAP so windows knows there is an ssd in there and turns off features that may cause issues.

I suppose it might be sorting out the index but should still boot-up quick, how slow is "ages"?

Are all your slow-opening programmes also on the SSD?

SATA cable was secured at both ends replaced it to check for faulty cable - no improvement.

Running WEI just now (I had done this when I installed W7 but my primary hard disk was rated 5.9 which seems a bit low for a SATA3 SSD)...
I've had a look at the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters) and I've noticed that the values for superfetch and prefetch aren't 0 (3) should I change them to 0 as they (apparently) should be for an SSD?

I turned off indexing to see if that was the problem (it wasn't). Shut down and start up can take up to 2-3 minutes and opening programs like Chrome takes maybe 30s to a minute and even then the program is slow to respond though my internet connection is fine.
Get achi enabled as the first port of call. My old vertex ran like a dog in anything else.

It's back in ACHI mode in the BIOS but I'm not sure if I need to do anything else with respect to that (like in the registry etc)

Last edited:
6b300cc8f9335244092810966e29fa87.png

Still have the 5.9 rating for primary hard drive but also troubling me is the low score for my graphics (2x7950 in CF) shouldn't be as low as that... Can't help but feel I've done something wrong at some point as these are really weird problems :confused:

do you have a dedicated graphics card?

If so whip that out and re-boot and see if there is an improvement

Removed gpus no improvement :( I'll maybe try a fresh install on a current ssd and see if there's any change in performance?

i take it you have multiple hard drives in there.. try taking out all the other hdd and leave the SSD in there on it's own. I had a hard drive fail on me, and the months leading up to it had a stupendess slowness in the performance. After removing it, everything was back to normal.

I've already tried a clean install of W7 with no success.
....a common solution appears to be setting the SATA controller to IDE instead of AHCI, I've already tried that but it didn't even boot (did POST though).
(

I found that on my PC if I installed XP in AHCI and formatted the partition when installing the it would only run in AHCI.

It appeared that I had to format the disk to IDE to run in IDE and AHCI to run in AHCI.

Have you tried that?

I found that on my PC if I installed XP in AHCI and formatted the partition when installing the it would only run in AHCI.

It appeared that I had to format the disk to IDE to run in IDE and AHCI to run in AHCI.

Have you tried that?

if you switch the bios to AHCI post windows install you have to make a registry change, that's all you should need to do..

otherwise like I say windows will most likely blue screen at boot.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...82-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

Okay seem to have some progress, I tried running the computer with just the OS SSD connected and powered - still had the same problem, I've now reinstalled W7 as a clean install and before I hit install I cleaned the drive (probably shortened the life of it by doing this :confused:) using DiskPart. Install took ages but it's lightning quick again (and hopefully will remain this way for some time!). You'll be the first to know if things go awry! Thanks again :)

If it's a clean install.. it could be indexing. Windows spends forever indexing the drive after a new install. You should have indexing turned off with a SSD though... so try that.

Back