Need Help with Godox ad360 - sony a6000

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all forum members,

I need some help with my new gear setup. Firstly I switched from canon to sony. My gear setup is: Sony a6000 Godox ad360 flash Godox X1t- s transmitter for sony Also 1 receicer ( its from lencarta ) looks just like the godox xtr 16 but its from another brand. Lencarta from the UK. I had it with my lencarta strobe light. thought to try it with the godox. looks the same as the godox xtr 16. I'm having troubles in setting this up for HSS.HSS activated on the godox ad360 flash. When I choose the group and channel on the transmitter and setup the same group and channel on the receiver nothing is happening. I cannot change the shutter speed above 160. (max for sony of course without HSS) But when I put the flash directly on the Hotshoe, it fires but I get the zebra thing on the image, but when stopped down the shutter speed i see the full image without the zebra. I don't understand what to do now. Is it possible that the lencarta receiver just wont work with the x1t transmitter. Strange ting is that when I dont put the transmitter on the Hotshoe I cannot bring the shutter speed higher than 160th. when the transmitter is on the camera it is possible to bring it to the max of 1/4000. But still the godox wont fire. Could it be possible that the lencarta receiver isn't recognized by the x1t. or am I doing something wrong. also another thing s that strange enough the power of the godox 360 isn't going higher than 1/8th..normally it should be possible to go till 1/128th. Can anyone help me with some more info what I can do. I couldn't find any info abouth this through google and youtube. Maybe somebody on this forum can help me.

Thanks members. Hope to have a solution.

Gr danny

By 'zebra thing', do you mean the image has bands of light and dark?
If so, you need to turn off Electronic Shutter on the A6000, as that is the probable cause.

Could you post a picture of the Lencarta receiver?
There are 2 very similar receivers made by Godox (which Lencarta rebadge), the older units are the FT16, which run on 433Mhz, the newer units (which are compatible with the X1T-S) are the XTR-16 which use a frequency of 2.4GHz

If the receiver says Wavesync 2.4 its the newer 2.4 Ghz model, and should work - I think the older models just say Lencarta on them - these won't work with the XT1-S

Link to the newer Lencarta receiver (you can also get the same 2.4 Ghz receiver with the standard Godox branding from Amazon, Ebay, etc, or Essential sell the Pixapro brander version)

https://www.lencarta.com/wavesync-2.4-usb-remote-radio-receiver

I bought this one from a lencarta seller in my country.

Attachments

• lencarta.jpg
    lencarta.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 27
Faldrax, but you think that if I buy the right receiver It should work in HSS mode or not. I hope so! otherwise I'm ....cause I can't return the godox ad360. You'r right, it says lencarta on the receiver...not wavesync. I've already ordered the xtr 16. will get it tommorow.
By the zebra thing I mean, the bands...mostly at the buttom middle and top.
Do you know where to turn the electronic shutter off. I can not find it?
Do you have any experience with the godox 360 and sony combo? hope to get some more advice. thanks for replying.

Last edited:
Faldrax, but you think that if I buy the right receiver It should work in HSS mode or not. I hope so! otherwise I'm ....cause I can't return the godox ad360. You'r right, it says lencarta on the receiver...not wavesync. I've already ordered the xtr 16. will get it tommorow.
By the zebra thing I mean, the bands...mostly at the buttom middle and top.
Do you know where to turn the electronic shutter off. I can not find it?
Do you have any experience with the godox 360 and sony combo? hope to get some more advice. thanks for replying.
DSC_0323.JPG

Edit. I have the AD360, XTR16, X1T-S and Sony A6000 combo and it works. IIRC it will only work in the 1/1 -1/8 power output range with HSS but I haven't been in situations where my shots got blown out by that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Danny.

There’s a lot going off here, let’s break it down a bit.
It looks like you’ve got the wrong receiver, there’s 2 versions of Godox receiver that’s look identical, but they’re different radio wavelengths, you need the newer xtr16 not the older ftr16, the bad news is Lencarta have their own naming convention, the good news is that there’s a simple clue on the new receiver no matter where it’s from. It should sat 2.4g on it. As above, you can buy it from anywhere; ebay, Amazon, Lencarta, Essential, Adorama.

The older AD360 can do HSS, you enable it by pressing 2 buttons simultaneously, there’s an icon on the unit, they’re on the rhs of the unit.

Why do you think you need a higher shutter speed?

I can’t help with the electronic shutter on the Sony, but @soeren has answered that.

Hi Danny.

There’s a lot going off here, let’s break it down a bit.
It looks like you’ve got the wrong receiver, there’s 2 versions of Godox receiver that’s look identical, but they’re different radio wavelengths, you need the newer xtr16 not the older ftr16, the bad news is Lencarta have their own naming convention, the good news is that there’s a simple clue on the new receiver no matter where it’s from. It should sat 2.4g on it. As above, you can buy it from anywhere; ebay, Amazon, Lencarta, Essential, Adorama.

The older AD360 can do HSS, you enable it by pressing 2 buttons simultaneously, there’s an icon on the unit, they’re on the rhs of the unit.

Why do you think you need a higher shutter speed?

I can’t help with the electronic shutter on the Sony, but @soeren has answered that.
Yes the Godox branded looks like this
DSC_0322.JPG

Phil and soeren thanks for youre replies. Oke so I got the receiver just now delivered and tested it, you were right, the receiver wasn't the right one. Now I can control it with my x1t. yes power cannot go higher than 8 max. Now when I make the images it works fine, flash is going also off at HSS. but got another problem, when making the image, I got a weird white band at the top. I hope that its not a problem with the cam, cause I got it second hand and can not return it. Hope you can help Soeren

new 1.jpg new2.jpg

Last edited:
Phil and garry thanks for youre replies. Oke so I got the receiver just now delivered and tested it, you were right, the receiver wasn't the right one. Now I can control it with my x1t. yes power cannot go higher than 8 max. Now when I make the images it works fine, flash is going also off at HSS. but got another problem, when making the image, I got a weird white band at the top. I hope that its not a problem with the cam, cause I got it second hand and can not return it. Hope you can help faldrax.

First 1/8 is a low setting, 1/1 is highest and 1/128 is lowest (it’s a fraction)
What are you shooting?

phil, in hss mode power is at max 1/8th, now I was testing at 1/8th and saw the white banding at the top..and the aperture at f13 as in the picture and tried on 1.8 same thing,as I put the power on hss higher to 1/4 its getting a little darker but the white banding at the top still appears.

Soeren I did turn off the electronic shutter off and tried it also. is it possible that it has something to do with the, flash option where I can choose, as Fill flash or WL flash or rear ...

phil, in hss mode power is at max 1/8th, now I was testing at 1/8th and saw the white banding at the top..and the aperture at f13 as in the picture and tried on 1.8 same thing,as I put the power on hss higher to 1/4 its getting a little darker but the white banding at the top still appears.
Why are you in HSS mode?

It strikes me you don’t understand the advantages and limitations of HSS, and have you switched the AD360 into HSS mode or just raised the SS?

I’m sounding like a stuck record, but it’s easier to help if we know what you’re trying to achieve rather than try to help with random questions about modes.

The ‘white band’ is the flash lit part of the image, which suggests the flash isn’t in HSS mode. But again, why HSS?

HSS isn’t necessary 99% of the time, I can’t unfpderstand why it would be your first priority,

Oke phil, the reason why I'm testing in hss mode is because I will do portraits outside, and want to use hss mode. for faster shutter speed to use. and that I can darken the background,without darkening my subject. I don't have a studio so my basi work will be outside, And when situations are that I want to keep the details of the sky. I'm testing it now at home and looking if everything works as it suppose to be.

Oke phil, the reason why I'm testing in hss mode is because I will do portraits outside, and want to use hss mode. for faster shutter speed to use. and that I can darken the background,without darkening my subject. I don't have a studio so my basi work will be outside, And when situations are that I want to keep the details of the sky. I'm testing it now at home and looking if everything works as it suppose to be.

Better to get ND filters as that is the better solution if only shooting portraits

Mike

Have you put the flash in HSS mode?

As Mike says, an ND might be better, there are other considerations, the AD360 isn’t really bright enough for fighting midday sun, and once you’ve accepted you need to limit your shooting times, then HSS is no longer necessary, you might as well pick your times more accurately.

Ie: 600Ws for ‘anytime you like’
A speedlight will do the golden hour, the AD360 will do 3 hours before sunset, or after sunrise (ish).

And as Mike says, an ND squeezes more power out of the flash than HSS.
Also IIRC the AD360 only does reliable HSS at full power.

However you view the above, testing requires real world conditions, you can’t test at 1/8 power indoors when you’re trying to figure out how 1/1 power in sunlight will look.

[post: 8034218, member: 86849"]Phil and soeren thanks for youre replies. Oke so I got the receiver just now delivered and tested it, you were right, the receiver wasn't the right one. Now I can control it with my x1t. yes power cannot go higher than 8 max. Now when I make the images it works fine, flash is going also off at HSS. but got another problem, when making the image, I got a weird white band at the top. I hope that its not a problem with the cam, cause I got it second hand and can not return it. Hope you can help Soeren

View attachment 116727 View attachment 116728[/QUOTE]
Thats wird. Your camera needs to be in fill flash mode, not wireless.
DSC_0329.JPG 1/2power (24mm f1,8 approx 1m distance) flash handholded just left of camera

phil thanks for youre advise and reply, and soeren many thanks also. I'v fixed and found the issue what was happening with the white banding. It has to fixed in the x1t function menu. There i found out that the sync time with the transmitter and the ad360 has to set, I found out that for me on 18 it synced good without any banding. sometimes for others it will work om 23-25 and sometimes at 42. For me I was fixed at 18. No banding and perfect shots.....at 1/8th and tested at 1/4th. Only thing to find out is....how to change the exposure value in manual mode in menu or dial. Changing shutter speed and aperture is possible with the wheel and dial.

Last edited:
Im not sure what you mean by that last paragraph. Are you asking how to designate aperture and shutterspeed to wheel and dial?

1513879609043-1248611237.jpg
Press and youre in the box where it can be changed

oke soeren, i can change the aperture with the dial on the top right. changing the shutterspeedwith the wheel, but I'm stuck in finding where I can change the exposure. Is see the option for metering mode. In the A and S mode i can change the exposure from -1,-2,3 or +1,+2,+3...but in the Manual mode I can't change the exposure.

phil thanks for youre advise and reply, and soeren many thanks also. I'v fixed and found the issue what was happening with the white banding. It has to fixed in the x1t function menu. There i found out that the sync time with the transmitter and the ad360 has to set, I found out that for me on 18 it synced good without any banding. sometimes for others it will work om 23-25 and sometimes at 42. For me I was fixed at 18. No banding and perfect shots.....at 1/8th and tested at 1/4th. Only thing to find out is....how to change the exposure value in manual mode in menu or dial. Changing shutter speed and aperture is possible with the wheel and dial.

This screams at me that the flash is NOT in HSS, sync timing is not required for HSS, if this ia the original AD360 you have to do the 2 button press on the back to put it into HSS mode

Mike

Mike as far as i know, when holding the mode and set button together the hss mode is activated and I see the....# something like this sign, suppose to be hss. Rarely I saw some tutorials on youtube, when flashing the ad360 in hss mode, i saw the bulb going on and off twice...but very fast....when I do this...it goes only one time off, I see no difference in flashing in hss mode ore normal mode. but when in normal mode of the ad360 i cant go abobe SS 1/160 and in hss ...above that is possible. after changing in the function option.....the banding thing is solved.

One point that may be worth mentioning is that the 360 can only do HSS when used with this power doubler, which charges the unit from both sides of the battery
https://www.lencarta.com/atom-combine-power-doubler-adapter-cable
I don't think so. I'm 99.99% certain it's doing the flash pulse off of a single capacitor charge, that's why the max power is limited. I did upgrade to the lithium pack with the Y-cable, but it worked fine before that (first non-ttl model).

oke soeren, i can change the aperture with the dial on the top right. changing the shutterspeedwith the wheel, but I'm stuck in finding where I can change the exposure. Is see the option for metering mode. In the A and S mode i can change the exposure from -1,-2,3 or +1,+2,+3...but in the Manual mode I can't change the exposure.

Are you talking about exposure compensation in manual mode?

This screams at me that the flash is NOT in HSS, sync timing is not required for HSS, if this ia the original AD360 you have to do the 2 button press on the back to put it into HSS mode

Mike
The stripe and the fix both sound like tail sync and not proper HSS... which model of the AD360 do you have? It kind of sounds to me like you have the first non-TTL version and there is some convolution of TTL trigger/receiver with a manual flash confusing things.

Mike as far as i know, when holding the mode and set button together the hss mode is activated and I see the....# something like this sign, suppose to be hss. Rarely I saw some tutorials on youtube, when flashing the ad360 in hss mode, i saw the bulb going on and off twice...but very fast....when I do this...it goes only one time off, I see no difference in flashing in hss mode ore normal mode. but when in normal mode of the ad360 i cant go abobe SS 1/160 and in hss ...above that is possible. after changing in the function option.....the banding thing is solved.

Take a photograph of the rear screen and post here of what you think is HSS mode

Mike

Last edited:
. IMG_20171221_230421.jpg

Mike its correct that it should be working on hss with the single power cable. the Y cable should be able to make recycle time faster. for HSS is activated with the mode and set button together. and the godox is the non ttl version the first one.

TJG, yes im talking about the exposure compensation in manual mode?
For flash power? Doesn't work that way.

With the X1t on the camera it should allow you to set SS's higher than 1/160... that means the camera is in HSS mode for flash timing. On the X1t set group A to manual mode and the power level to anything 1/4 or less (IIRC 1/4 is the max in HSS). On the AD360 if it is the second TTL version it should automatically switch into HSS mode when the trigger transmits. If it is the first non-ttl version you have to manually switch it into HSS mode and it will not come out of it until you manually deactivate it. My best guess is that the camera and transmitter are both acting as if the flash is working in TTL but it can't because it's the first version.

Nonsense, it only needs a single power to do HSS

Mike
The 180 is fine without it, the 360 needs it. Don't your sponsors keep you in the loop?

Mike its correct that it should be working on hss with the single power cable. the Y cable should be able to make recycle time faster. for HSS is activated with the mode and set button together. and the godox is the non ttl version the first one.

Yes that looks like the correct mode but will only fire HSS from an HSS trigger, only powers available in HSS are 1/1, 1/2, 1.4 and 1/8 with this model flash (1/128 is much lower power)

Mike

The 180 is fine without it, the 360 needs it. Don't your sponsors keep you in the loop?

A. I am not sponsored
B. I bought my own and it worked just fine on a single connection
C. I have bought the updated version since then and it works fine HSS on a single connection as well

Mike

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back