Need helpful tips for party photography

Name
erik
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I’m relatively new to photography but have an understanding of the basics such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure, etc. I will soon get my first job as a photographer at a party/get-together. It’s an unpaid job and really being done as a favor for the hosts. It will be my first time doing this sort of photography and I need some tips on how to get good pictures (they realize I’m new to this but want a cheaper option than a pro photographer). I don’t yet know the details of the party but I might be working inside with little light. I have a Nikon D3100 with an 18-300mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens but I’ve heard from others that I will need a faster lens and maybe an external flash. Am I going to need any other equipment? Also, as it’s my first time using a flash, are there any helpful tips for using one? Tips on photography technique and composition would greatly be appreciated as well. Would the rule of thirds be applicable here? I realize I’m asking a lot here but I want to learn as much as possible to be able to get good photos for the hosts of the party.

if you have a hot shoe flash stick it on, put the camera in P mode and enjoy the night. Too many other variables so thats the best advice I can give.

I've done a few parties (and got paid for them :) ). I second what Phil said, use an external flash if you can. You can get away with the on-camera flash but an external will give you more range and flexibility, and if you've got a shorter lens use it. The 18-300 will be okay but you'll be at the short end, your flash won't reach the long end. Don't worry about rule of thirds or any other "rules". Try and capture the atmosphere, people enjoying themselves, being silly etc. They will pose for you quite readily but you'll have to be quick 'cause they'll want be on their way to the dance floor or bar. That means being ready - all the time. And look for some interesting background lighting you might be able to use. If your lucky and careful you might be able to do some available light stuff.

I could go on about off-camera flash, dragging the shutter, 2nd curtain sync etc - save all that for your next event.

Shoot loads, you'll get a lot of rubbish but in there should be some cracking shots.

Above all else, enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
Hi, I’m relatively new to photography but have an understanding of the basics such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure, etc. I will soon get my first job as a photographer at a party/get-together. It’s an unpaid job and really being done as a favor for the hosts. It will be my first time doing this sort of photography and I need some tips on how to get good pictures (they realize I’m new to this but want a cheaper option than a pro photographer). I don’t yet know the details of the party but I might be working inside with little light. I have a Nikon D3100 with an 18-300mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens but I’ve heard from others that I will need a faster lens and maybe an external flash. Am I going to need any other equipment? Also, as it’s my first time using a flash, are there any helpful tips for using one? Tips on photography technique and composition would greatly be appreciated as well. Would the rule of thirds be applicable here? I realize I’m asking a lot here but I want to learn as much as possible to be able to get good photos for the hosts of the party.

Pick up a 35mm f/1.8 for just over £150 (cheaper second hand), and it'll be the perfect party lens for you. Nice out-of-focus backgrounds without it being too long. A cheap hotshoe flash will do wonders as well - angle the flash to use the walls/roof to bounce the light off to make it more flattering.

I realise they both cost money - here's a free tip! Try using a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil to bounce the on-camera flash upwards onto the roof. It'll soften the light, and provide more even illumination.

Another thumbs up for the 35mm f1.8. I took this at my nephew's party on Saturday, he was surrounded by 80 friends so I didn't have time or space to stand and compose the shot, but its not too bad all things considered..

cake by damianmkv, on Flickr

I similar at the weekend. I have the same camera too! I have an SB-400 flash, added that and set in P mode.

Lots of rubbish but some crackers too!

I also shot with a combination of 50mm and the 18-55 kit lens.

Another tip is to keep your ISO set to about 800, this brings in more of the ambient light and avoids the 'shot in a cave' look that you often get when using flash.

Obviously you'll have a little more noise, but in my opinion the better overall quality of background light usually outweighs that, here's an example

100th sec F4 ISO 100
LoISOithFlash.jpg

100th sec F4 ISO 800
HighISOWithFlash.jpg

Cheers,
Bernie
www.greatphotographytips.co.uk

How about a rental lens from one of the online rental companies, or even Calumet? This'll give you the chance to experiment and decide if it works for you without the big upfront cost? Depending on the date of the party some do good wknd rates?

I'd also recommend using flash, perhaps not the pop up, but if you could find/ borrow a hotshoe flash it should let you bounce the light for a nicer look.

Back