need some quick replies.

Edit My Images
Yes
Okay guys, i have a scenario for your.

your in year 7, so you've been in "big school" :p for about 1 month. Theres a disco, your going with all your old and new friends. Your told theres a photographer going to be there doing friendship photos, it will all be in non-school uniform and the shots will be printed and framed in strut frames on the night for you.

how much do you exspect to pay for this? what would be reasonable?

cheers guys.

Most event photographers I know charge between £6.50-£10.00 per photo - but I doubt that kids could afford that at a school disco.

thats what im thinking, ive got my mind set on 5 pounds atm.. but i cant decide, cause if i get more people on 4 pounds i could make more than less people on 5... :| dialema, and i cant market research because the people that are hiring me are my ex school classmates. i left to start thisphotography busieness, and now there using my busiess for there "young enterprises" lol. a joke really. but anyway.

thing is, im thinking, if i were in year 7, my first year, my parents would be thrilled to pay for a pic of me and my mates at my first disco etc.. but i was always brought up where money wasnt realy an issue.. and i know for alot of people that is more money than it seems to me.

i dont mean to sound a **** with that comment but it is true.

OK, parental question, will the parents be warned before hand that the kids will be having these pics done and that they might have to fork out for them?

Next question - if they are friendship photos, pressumably there will be more than one kid in each pic, so one pic might get 2 or more sales...and so on....so you might want to factor that into you costs.

Finally, when you say strut frames? Not sure what you mean... is it worth framing them as most will want to add their own frame [if they are going to frame them at all] that matches the 'decor of placement' ;)

Take a deposit to cover the print cost then give them a receipt to collect the picture later when they have twisted mums arm for the balance.

Crazy world, but also, would you need parental permission to be taking the photos in the first place, seeing as the subjects are under 16?

yeah, na luckily i dont, because of the way school does it its a different system. but yeah apprently these "young budding entrepreneurs" are going to advertise it etc, but what im questioning is how much to charge. I can hire a mitsubushi dye sub event printer for very cheap because of where i work part time.. so my costs are minimal (but dont tell them that) hehe.

and in answere to the framiming issue, a strut frame is like a hard, card frame that u normaly get school photos in, there about 50 if you bulk order.

there are 130 kinds that when servayed said they were going.. and im working on 50 percent buy figures.. hopefuly more, because with friendship photos, more people always get roped in to it.. so i will charge individuals to be in the photo, but they get there copy of the print.. so that way,i dont get people in photos when only 1 person buys it, cause then he will perswade them to buy.

But, my main concern, is what price to set it at.

my costs are covered by the young enterprises anyway so im covered there as well.. i cant loose money, but i want to make as much as i can obvsly.

thanks so far. x

Year 7 is 11-12 year olds?

I'm not sure I'd want a photo of my child at a school disco.
First 'big school' uniform yes, but not sure about a disco...

I suppose at the end of the day it depends on the schools catchment area and the quality size of the prints. i.e. no good charging £5 for a small print if you're in a deprived area where the kids are all on free school lunches.

If however you're at a posh private school...

I suppose it also depends on when you think you're getting paid. You really need to be selling to the parents not the kids?

heres an idea - as all these kids are so web savvy do you have a website where they can order from? maybe leaving behind some cool looking business type cards will enhance later sales? just thinking maybe one kid buys and others wish they had...

I wouldn't have been able to afford £5 for a photo but then again kids seem to have more money than us oldies these days!

and how are you going to present these photos? will you have an Alton Towers style board with photos on that they can pick up as they leave the disco?

you've probably considered all these things but can't offer any more ideas sorry!

yeah ill shoot strait to laptop and they can see it there, assistant will then print them with a numbered code, and they get it after the disco..

and yeah, due to such a growth in GDP it seems they all have alot of money..

I hadnt actualy considered after sales..but yeah my website can sell them, thats how i did the school prom photos.

hmm :)

just cant decide on a price.. 4 or 5 :| :bang:

3.99 or 4.99 is probably better for psychological pricing? If you charge less you will get more sales, that may be better for a wider audience for word of mouth in the future. But then again it would be easier to lower prices in the future rather than raise them if you made a mistake overcharging.

Personally I would do it at cost ... or if it's feasible I would do them for free :eek:

But I would get some business cards printed off and tape one to the back of each print. So if you have done a good job, Christmas is coming and grandparents love being given portrait shots of the grandkids ....... ;)

Cut out the frame, reduce the costs appopriately and I bet you'll sell more. I'd expect the frame to get chucked anyway as the photo gets put in an album or a different frame, so why waste the money - at the end of the day its the frame supplier who benefits...

Quite a lot of them may well have camera phones so can take their own pictures. OK may be crummy, but they'll regard them as free whereas yours would be a billion squillion percent more expensive than free.

lol andrewc thats alot of percent more ;)

erm all good comments, accept doing them for free... but a suggestion non the less i guess.

my school isnt private, but it is in a reasonably prosporous area.

4.5 is a sensible compramise, and i actualy think you might be right but in the wrong way about the frames..

I dont think they add value to what there getting, so in that sence, are pointless, but if they got them , they would all use them to bop on there computer screen desk.

Again, at cost is pointless as im supposed to be making money for young enterprises.. so the idea, is to make money..

but yeah. keep things coming ;)

I'd stick to a fiver, less hassle with change, etc.

But I'd also be worried that the kids wouldn't have enough money on them to buy a photo, they'll probably bring some cash for drinks, food, etc. but given the choice between a photo and a snack I think the snack will win.

Also be prepared for the odd "angry parent" who's not happy that little Johnny has, in their opinion, wasted a fiver on a photo and wanting a refund.

I'm not saying don't do it, just thinking of the possible problems with the job...

Think you better check about permission, in my kids school they have to send a permission slip to allow any photos to be taken. They also have to take into account some kids are not allowed to be photographed by law. They get taken out of any group photos. At recent event the photographer had to show before he left no pictures were even accidently taken. He also need updated full disclosure. Apparently its quite common now.

cheers all. Guess what, the jack *** that was "incharge" has changed his mind, he now wants me to shoot proper candid friendship photos for all the years at the school!!! potentialy more money, but hes mucked me about more than a football. And now more of the points made about legality are important. But luckily at my school they have a signed thing when you join, so you can have ur pics taken etc but they can sign and say no... so its covered for any company that come and do the normal school photos wich is why its alright.

Also legality is up the the young entreprenuers.. who are more like young idiots but dont get me started on how there running it.

Cheers for all help and suggestions guys/girls x

Back