Beginner Need someone to help me use the Nikon D50 I got this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFS, it was advertised as a lens!
This is the important bit.

"This Lens fits at the front of your standard Nikon Lens and won't fit on the camera body directly."

Would this fit Rich's D50 and autofocus properly? Its in stock at Sheffield CEX.

Thanks Andy, unfortunately I don't have £55 otherwise I'd pop down to CEX this week.

Methinks I trip up to Harrison's is in order and see if they can help.

I used the £25 voucher I had from CEX last week :crying:

FFS, it was advertised as a lens!

it is a lens, in such that it has precision ground glass optics which deliberatley alter the path of the light passing through it, in the same way that a pair of spectacles or contact lenses do, but its not a "primary" camera lens in the recognised sense of the term. Its more of a "secondary" lens requiring a primary lens to work.

it is a lens, in such that it has precision ground glass optics which deliberatley alter the path of the light passing through it, in the same way that a pair of spectacles or contact lenses do, but its not a "primary" camera lens in the recognised sense of the term. Its more of a "secondary" lens requiring a primary lens to work.
I've just set up a return request on eBay for the item, the original seller of the D50 still hasn't responded to my return message from last week (and probably won't) though.

Unfortunately you can't use that lens on its own. It's an adapter for taking close-up shots that screws into the filter thread of another lens. You can return that one, but you may have to pay return postage. Or maybe use it if you later buy a compatible lens (must have a 52mm filter thread, as at least some versions of the 18-55 do). I'd suggest asking someone here (or get advice from Harrisons) before ordering anything else. You probably want something like an 18-55 AF-S (not AF-P, which won't work on a D50).

Last edited:
Unfortunately you can't use that lens on its own. It's an adapter for taking close-up shots that screws into the filter thread of another lens. You can return that one, but you may have to pay return postage. Or maybe use it if you later buy a compatible lens (must have a 52mm filter thread). I'd suggest asking someone here (or get advice from Harrisons) before ordering anything else.
I just had a look on Harrisons' website, prices start at £600, I don't have that kind of money! :crying:

Can anyone just please tell me what to order and I'll do it?

Last edited:
I just had a look on Harrisons' website, prices start at £600, I don't have that kind of money! :crying:

Can anyone just please tell me what to order and I'll do it?
I'd suggest you start from scratch and device what you want first. Slow down, device what features you want right now and what you'd like to achieve in the future and a budget. Then people can help better.

I think it sounds like a bridge camera of some sort would be best. (Basically SLR style with a fixed lens)

I'd suggest you start from scratch and device what you want first. Slow down, device what features you want right now and what you'd like to achieve in the future and a budget. Then people can help better.

I think it sounds like a bridge camera of some sort would be best. (Basically SLR style with a fixed lens)
I bought a compact Sony DSC-W800 last year, I posted some examples of shots taken on it and everyone complained and said I'd wasted my money, I buy a decent camera, I get sold one with a duff lens! I officially give up.

I bought a compact Sony DSC-W800 last year, I posted some examples of shots taken on it and everyone complained and said I'd wasted my money, I buy a decent camera, I get sold one with a duff lens! I officially give up.
Your rushing into the decisions though I feel.
No one can help if we don't know what your trying to achieve. You can't just buy the first camera someone recommends.
I'd take a step back and start from the beginning after sending everything you have back.

What's your budget? What is your goal, photography wise?

My advice, for what it's worth.

Return everything you've bought so far except the Sony.

Practice photography with the Sony. It's perfectly capable.

Your rushing into the decisions though I feel.
No one can help if we don't know what your trying to achieve. You can't just buy the first camera someone recommends.
I'd take a step back and start from the beginning after sending everything you have back.

What's your budget? What is your goal, photography wise?
Budget? £20-30, and I already know I won't get much for that :crying:

Goals? Video footage good enough for my YouTube channel, and photographs I'd be willing to make public on my Google Photos and/or Flickr accounts, and a website I'm working on.

Budget? £20-30, and I already know I won't get much for that :crying:

Goals? Video footage good enough for my YouTube channel, and photographs I'd be willing to make public on my Google Photos and/or Flickr accounts, and a website I'm working on.
You say £30 but you seem to be spending that almost weekly?
I'm not hugely familiar with the D50 for instance but does it even do video?

I was pretty sure Richard had ordered a 18-55mm...

I was pretty sure Richard had ordered a 18-55mm...
I did but I had to set up a return request because someone on here told me it's not an actual lens, just a converter.

The cheapest actual lens I've found is £55 from CEX in Town, I'll have a word with Dad and see if he'll let me spend that kind of money on it.

Would this one be any good? £43 on eBay "Buy It Now"
I don't like the sound of the scratches and chips. Better to spend a bit more for an unblemished one. The macro adapter you ordered was probably confusing because it was advertised as compatible with an 18-55. But it isn't an 18-55 itself.

But now that you mention video, the D50 isn't suitable anyway. Any NIkon that does video and works with a lens like the 18-55 will be a more recent and more expensive camera. You'd be better off having a go with that Sony if you already have a media card for it, then decide later if you need something better.

I would suggest, Richard, that since Harrisons is easy for you to get to, you set aside some time, go into Harrisons, tell them what you want to achieve and what your budget is, and listen to them. Asking on here is fine, everyone will try to help, but it’s like a dozen people all talking at once.

OK Roxy :LOL:

I did see your advice, I set up a return request for the latest purchase on eBay, which I'll send back when it comes on Wednesday.
I think you need a reset — maybe NOT start yet another thread but stick with this one!

I think you stil have several cameras. Make a list of them and post it here — plus any other photo stuff you have, like flash or a tripod (unlikely I know).

Then discuss what you want to do. I think you should leave video until you’ve sorted the stills.

At any rate, you need a plan — written down I think.

I think you need a reset — maybe NOT start yet another thread but stick with this one!

I think you stil have several cameras. Make a list of them and post it here — plus any other photo stuff you have, like flash or a tripod (unlikely I know).

Then discuss what you want to do. I think you should leave video until you’ve sorted the stills.

At any rate, you need a plan — written down I think.
Here's all my cameras,

Canon SX IS20
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-W800
5.1 MP HD camera on Moto G5 Plus phone

I did have an unbranded camera I bought on eBay last year which was advertised as an HD video camera, it turned out to be no good but nowhere would take it to trade in or sell as it was unbranded and had cosmetic flaws.

I also traded in a Nikon Coolpix L20 I bought from CEX last year recently.

Here's all my cameras,

Canon SX IS20
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-W800
5.1 MP HD camera on Moto G5 Plus phone

I did have an unbranded camera I bought on eBay last year which was advertised as an HD video camera, it turned out to be no good but nowhere would take it to trade in or sell as it was unbranded and had cosmetic flaws.

I also traded in a Nikon Coolpix L20 I bought from CEX last year recently.
You’ve got a fair coverage of the various types of camera there. I know the D50 is probably going back but at least you’ve handled it.

You’ve mentioned some difficulty handling the D50 at least and some other physical difficulty.

Which of those types do you feel you can handle best. The Nikon and Canon have eyepiece finders as well as screens, is a viewfinder you put your eye to better than a screen like the phone or vice versa?

You’ve got a fair coverage of the various types of camera there. I know the D50 is probably going back but at least you’ve handled it.

You’ve mentioned some difficulty handling the D50 at least and some other physical difficulty.

Which of those types do you feel you can handle best. The Nikon and Canon have eyepiece finders as well as screens, is a viewfinder you put your eye to better than a screen like the phone or vice versa?
I'm hoping to be able to keep the Nikon D50, as apart from the duff lens all the menus etc work on it with a fully charged battery.

Dad wouldn't let me purchase the £55 lens from CEX but I've seen one on eBay for £43, seller's got perfect feedback, so I asked a question before I clicked buy to see if it's compatible with the D50 and he says yes so I went ahead and bought it.

Dad wouldn't let me purchase the £55 lens from CEX but I've seen one on eBay for £43, seller's got perfect feedback, so I asked a question before I clicked buy to see if it's compatible with the D50 and he says yes so I went ahead and bought it.
Obviously I don’t know the eBay seller but how do you know he is truthful or even knows. It’s often quite difficult to establish the compatibility of various lenses/cameras!

You’ve jumped into another purchase! But you are still referring to “a lens” without giving the name and specifications. As you’ve just found with that “macro lens adapter” the word “lens” covers a multitude of kinds :(.

If that’s it the seller seems very guinefrom the description he gives.

Richardks problem now is that he may not have a camera to put it on :(. He wants his original seller to refund on the lens but even if he agrees there isn’t an agreed value for the lens so he should really return both via eBay and buy the one advertised by Harrisons of its still available (likely).

If that’s it the seller seems very guinefrom the description he gives.

Richardks problem now is that he may not have a camera to put it on :(. He wants his original seller to refund on the lens but even if he agrees there isn’t an agreed value for the lens so he should really return both via eBay and buy the one advertised by Harrisons of its still available (likely).
I looked at Harrisons last night, starting prices £600! I don't have that kind of money! :crying:

I still can't send the original camera back, the seller hasn't got back to me! *waves fist angrily*
Because you haven’t gone the eBay returns route. The seller told you he “doesn’t do returns” before you bought it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I still need to know where to send it, which requires a response from him.
Earlier in the thread I think someone wrote that eBay “sends” you a label for returns.

Depending on the seller's return policy, we may put you in touch with them directly.

Ship it back
You’ll be issued a packing slip and shipping label. Pack the item and ship it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back