Beginner Need someone to help me use the Nikon D50 I got this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
I asked Wallace on my course yesterday and it's not a camera she's familiar with.

I have the battery charged up and a 2 Gig SD card plugged in, I just need to know how to tape snaps and record videos.

I found a PDF manual but I don't have enough Printer paper to print out over 169 pages.

I asked Wallace on my course yesterday and it's not a camera she's familiar with.

I have the battery charged up and a 2 Gig SD card plugged in, I just need to know how to tape snaps and record videos.

I found a PDF manual but I don't have enough Printer paper to print out over 169 pages.

Why print it? Just read the relevant sections online surely? There won't be that much to read through if you are using it in Auto mode i'd imagine. If you are using it in Manual or either of the Priority modes then you'll probably find plenty of videos online too.

Also, you know that the D50 doesn't do video, don't you? https://nikonmag.com/talk/dx/nikon-d50-video-mode.html

Last edited:
One of the first things you should do is Reset the camera because you do not know what the previous owner has changed. On the top of the camera, near the On/Off switch there is a button with a green dot next to it, on the top left hand back of the camera there is another button with a green dot next to it.
Press both buttons near the green dots and hold them both down until the camera resets.
Have fun.

Last edited:
A thought I should have added before.
Put in the battery and the SD card format the card in the camera ( instructions should be in the manual), put the camera on A (usually the green box on the mode dial) and take pictures ( half press the shutter button to focus) it will probably beep when it has achieved focus then fully press the shutter and voila you have a picture, take loads and get used to handling the camera

What they said, just take photos and play with it.

It doesn't do video.

Put card and battery in. Format card in camera. Put in auto mode. Go out and take pictures. Review and decide what worked and what doesn't and the reasons. Eventually progress to the semi-auto modes such as shutter priority or aperture priority.

I’m sure a series of small beginner challenges could be set - eg take a photograph of a phone box or a post box, a front door, before moving onto people. Idea being to consider backgrounds, composition and so on.
You know what? It's not a bad idea that! You're not as daft as you look lol!

Hope you get a lot out of you're zoom thing. I'd say the first steps are where you make the biggest jumps in photography.
I don't know if it's possible with Zoom but worth recording the meeting so you can refer back.

Hope you get a lot out of you're zoom thing. I'd say the first steps are where you make the biggest jumps in photography.
I don't know if it's possible with Zoom but worth recording the meeting so you can refer back.
I've "attended" loads of recorded Zoom meetings so it is possible.

This will be the first one where it's me as the Host though so it's bit of a learning curve.

Last edited:
IIRC, YOU (as the host) have to do the recording. Mrs Nod would know for sure but she's at work (which involves her using and sometimes recording Zoom).

Pretty well, until the Webcam died so we had to do it via audio only, he's trying again at 14.00 tomorrow (I'll be on a better Webcam at the Flat then) and also the battery for the camera should have a full charge.
Get some photos up then.

Just to update everyone here. We had another zoom today and sadly, it looks like there is a problem with the lens. The camera keeps flashing the FEE icon on the top LCD which means the aperture typically is open on the older lens. I have an old 35-70 on mine and exactly the same is shown if I alter the aperture from auto to manual selection. But we took the lens of Richards D50 and reattached it but sadly we had no luck. Annoying we don’t have another lens to try but educated guesswork suggests it’s the lens that has the issues..

Just to update everyone here. We had another zoom today and sadly, it looks like there is a problem with the lens. The camera keeps flashing the FEE icon on the top LCD which means the aperture typically is open on the older lens. I have an old 35-70 on mine and exactly the same is shown if I alter the aperture from auto to manual selection. But we took the lens of Richards D50 and reattached it but sadly we had no luck. Annoying we don’t have another lens to try but educated guesswork suggests it’s the lens that has the issues..

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Well I contacted the original seller of the D50 on eBay, as far as I know they're yet to get back to me (and it's somebody on here I think)

Well I contacted the original seller of the D50 on eBay, as far as I know they're yet to get back to me (and it's somebody on here I think)
Hope you get it sorted and get snapping soon :)

I’m not sure you are right about that. It was linked by someone on here but I think it’s against the rules to specifically advertise your eBay sales here (other than just saying one will put it on ebay)

Just request a refund/return via PayPal, you have so much power as the buyer.

But he's already bought another lens I think.... If the return is accepted he'll just have the new lens he's ordered & still need a Nikon body anyway.
The camera actually works, it just needed a new lens.

Although why the seller failed to mention that I'd have to spend a further £24 on a new lens after paying 50 quid for his camera is anyone's guess.

The camera actually works, it just needed a new lens.

Although why the seller failed to mention that I'd have to spend a further £24 on a new lens after paying 50 quid for his camera is anyone's guess.

Yes. I know.

But there's talk above of you contacting the eBay seller & there's talk of getting a return/refund via PayPal. If that happens, you'd have to return the whole camera/lens package so you'd just be left with the (new) lens that you've just purchased......

Yes. I know.

But there's talk above of you contacting the eBay seller & there's talk of getting a return/refund via PayPal. If that happens, you'd have to return the whole camera/lens package so you'd just be left with the (new) lens that you've just purchased......
I can't be bothered plus it'd cost me a small fortune in recorded delivery postage because I don't trust the normal post to not lose stuff.

When you return an item by the official route, ebay generates a label you can print out, which gets scanned at the post office and is proof of postage. After that, it's not your problem. If the item is faulty or not as described, the label is free to you.

I can't be bothered plus it'd cost me a small fortune in recorded delivery postage because I don't trust the normal post to not lose stuff.
I get you. It may be an idea to ask for a partial refund on condition you don’t give the seller a poor rating.

I get you. It may be an idea to ask for a partial refund on condition you don’t give the seller a poor rating.

I think this is the way forward but if the seller wont give a partial refund have a check what you can get another camera body for and if you can get one at a reasonable price, send the duff lens and the camera back for a full refund and move on.

There are quite a few D50's on ebay from £40 and from £30 at used dealers.

Here's one for £30 with a 12 month warranty.

Last edited:
I think this is the way forward but if the seller wont give a partial refund have a check what you can get another camera body for and if you can get one at a reasonable price, send the duff lens and the camera back for a full refund and move on.

There are quite a few D50's on ebay from £40 and from £30 at used dealers.

Here's one for £30 with a 12 month warranty.

That’s actually in his local store! Well done.

At that price I'm actually tempted by that myself as I have some film era Nikon lenses that'd look lovely on it, if they'd fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back