Negative cutting

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
How do you guys cut your home developed negatives, both 35mm and MF.
Years ago I had a small battery lit cutting device, Kaiser I think, but I have searched for something similar without success. I have seen some quite expensive devices and I don't want to use scissors, something middle priced is what I need.
Matt

Check out this eBay listing

I'm sure I've got one somewhere. Didn't come from the States though.

That's the sort of thing I had previously but it was 35mm only so it would do nicely except the postage is going to make it rather pricey.

That's the sort of thing I had previously but it was 35mm only so it would do nicely except the postage is going to make it rather pricey.

Keep looking. Sure I got mine on eBay used. Probably only paid a few quid. Mostly use scissors now.

Well I always used to use scissors erm but could never guarantee I got equidistant in the space between the frames :rolleyes: But if you don't have young children one of the handiest things to have is a guillotine..useful for trimming photos, strips for camera seals and would think great for negs (never tried it as I get mine already cut from labs etc).

I do have a paper cutter and I did think about using it, just a bit large. It would do until I get the other thing.
I am 62, so no young children at home, occasional grand child though :)

I never use a negative cutter as a pro. I just used scissors.
I tried a paper guillotine once but scratched the negatives, never tried again.
I would take them out of the drying cabinet, hang them up, and cut them to length from the bottom up. and put them into sleeves at once.
I never ever put them down on a surface unprotected.

This ^....by miles
Fancy cutting gear adds significant potential to introduce shlte to your negs
My negs from tank to sleeve never touch anything, shlte on negs is a pita, get some glasses or an angle poise lit magnifying glass or something

I never use a negative cutter as a pro. I just used scissors.
I tried a paper guillotine once but scratched the negatives, never tried again.
I would take them out of the drying cabinet, hang them up, and cut them to length from the bottom up. and put them into sleeves at once.
I never ever put them down on a surface unprotected.
Used to do the same myself, but fed the film into the sleeve before cutting that section to length...helps save stray fingerprints too.

Last edited:
Used to do the same myself, but fed the film into the sleeve before cutting that section to length...helps save stray fingerprints too.

I always hold negs by the edges never the surface.

I'm another scissors user. I don't like the idea of negatives sliding around on a surface while being positioned for the cut; I use a paper cutter for prints and the paper always has to be moved by a small amount to line up.

My aim is always to get the strips cut and into sleeves as soon as possible when they are dry - and never touch the surfaces deliberately, only the edges.

I'm another scissors user. I don't like the idea of negatives sliding around on a surface while being positioned for the cut

h'mm surely just put the neg on a clean piece of paper and cut thru' both........AFAIK all fixers have hardeners in now (well for B\W) so the negs are not as soft as in the old days....but not sure if a hardener goes in the fixer for colour negs.

Last edited:
Get a new pair of glasses... :)

h'mm surely just put the neg on a clean piece of paper and cut thru' both.

It should work if the paper is totally smooth and can't produce dust and fibres (unlike the paper I use for letters and documents) and acid free (assuming you want archival negatives/slides).

My cutter has the paper slide under a pressure plate that you then clamp down to prevent movement, so protecting both sides of the negative would require two sheets of paper and cutting blind.

Honestly, a pair of scissors is safer (for the negatives) and a lot less bother than getting out a special cutting machine. Open the darkroom drawer, take out the scissors and go...

Cut and go

nice catchphrase :)

I use this one and find it very good. There's markings that enables you to position the film critically. Particularly useful for cameras that imprint data between frames. The only issues I have with it is to cut effectively you sort of need to push the lever in towards the edge it cuts with as you cut, or it occasionally doesn't cut correctly - and occasionally dropping the film on the floor after cutting.

For 120 film at 6x6 I find scissors good enough as there's a big enough gap.

Last edited:
Back