Nest Thermostat and OpenTherm wiring connection

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone fitted a Nest 3rd Gen Thermostat, to a boiler that has OpenTherm? Does it matter which way round the OpenTherm wires are connected?

The Nest wiring diagram shows that OT1 from the Nest Heatlink connects to OT1 on the boiler, OT2 connects to OT2. But, with my new boiler (an Ideal Vogue C32 currently being installed by our Plumber), the OT terminals are not individually marked.

I have asked the question on another site and the reply was that it doesn'tr matter which way round the wires are connected. I just need to make sure! :)

Our boiler terminals

Ideal Vogue C32 Gen2
by Andy Aveyard, on Flickr

Nest wiring diagram

OpenTherm-NestDiagram
by Andy Aveyard, on Flickr

Thanks for taking a look.

Excellent, thanks Jerry!

However, after reading a reply to a comment I made on a Youtube video, I'm wondering if I should even attempt the Nest install :/

"Your plumber will need to install controls to comply with building regulations and also to be able to commission the boiler. if he doesn't know how to install the nest then I would advise you have someone install the boiler that does. From the 6.4.2018 the controls will also need to comply with boiler plus, home owners could be fined £5000 if there plumber doesn't install it to the standards. Hope this was helpful , Thank you"

When I was planning on fitting a wireless thermostat to my boiler I was told that it was an offence for someone that isn't Gas Safe registered to do any work that involves opening up the boiler.
Although that was from a British Gas engineer who had just quoted me £200 ish for installing Hive........ [emoji848][emoji848]

I suppose legally it makes sense, but it does look like a fairly quick job. I've already emailed several local electricians and only one sent me a reply. He quoted me £144 for the fitting alone.

Yeah - that was the annoying thing - I could point out the wire jumper across the terminals that would be removed and replaced with the feed from the receiver - but no - no touchy!!! It was like that little bit of wire was taunting me [emoji23][emoji23]

When I was planning on fitting a wireless thermostat to my boiler I was told that it was an offence for someone that isn't Gas Safe registered to do any work that involves opening up the boiler.
Although that was from a British Gas engineer who had just quoted me £200 ish for installing Hive........ [emoji848][emoji848]

Electricians aren’t gas safe registered.

Nest themselves offer to sell the equipment for £219 or with ‘professional install’ for £279. (there’s currently £40 off of those prices in their Easter sale). At £60 it indicates to me the lack of complexity in installation of the system.

My boiler engineer recently fitted Nest to my system at no extra charge whilst carrying out the annual service.

Excellent, thanks Jerry!

However, after reading a reply to a comment I made on a Youtube video, I'm wondering if I should even attempt the Nest install :/

"Your plumber will need to install controls to comply with building regulations and also to be able to commission the boiler. if he doesn't know how to install the nest then I would advise you have someone install the boiler that does. From the 6.4.2018 the controls will also need to comply with boiler plus, home owners could be fined £5000 if there plumber doesn't install it to the standards. Hope this was helpful , Thank you"

That only applies for a NEW boiler install not to additional smart controls to an existing boiler

I installed a Netatmo smart thermostat to my system , just a matter of replacing the stat on the wall & connecting to wifi :)

Last edited:
Also, boiler plus only applies in England at present. Your installer can, up until next week fit a timer/stat o

You can open up the controls section of the boiler, you cannot open the combustion section of it. So,in reality ,you could wire up the controls, but you cannot alter or open any gas carrying component or seal,unless you are competent to do so.

I have the nest and opted for the installer this was last year think I paid £210 all in with discounts etc.. anyway. The guy turned up 20-30mins later he was done, think he would of done it faster but I ask a lot of questions lol, he gets £50 for every install he can do ontop of his normal work so its not overly difficult but then if your doing lots of them it'll be quicker so maybe an hour for the average Jo.

Hi, we’ve got a nest 3rd gen and just had an ideal vogue c32 boiler fitted. Our plumber couldn’t get the nest to work. Would you be able to upload a photo please so we know which wires go between the heat link and boiler (we have an electrician to do it but they still don’t know what they’re doing either). We were quoted £150 but don’t really want to pay that much just for the installation and noone seems to know what they’re doing...

Hi, we’ve got a nest 3rd gen and just had an ideal vogue c32 boiler fitted. Our plumber couldn’t get the nest to work. Would you be able to upload a photo please so we know which wires go between the heat link and boiler (we have an electrician to do it but they still don’t know what they’re doing either). We were quoted £150 but don’t really want to pay that much just for the installation and noone seems to know what they’re doing...

Just in case this might be of help?

I found this video for such a connection.......though maybe a question as to the exact boiler model to yours???

View: https://youtu.be/DBsK5p7FKD8

Back