New 20D firmware (2.0.0)

S

Steve

Canon has released a new firmware update for the 20D which now incorporates support for the wireless file transmitter WFT-E1.

More information and firmware version 2.0.0 is available for free from here

ONE OF OUR MEMBERS HAS HAD AN ISSUE WHILST UPDATING HIS 20D WITH THIS FIRMWARE, PLEASE BE SURE THAT YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE RISKS INVOLVED. AT THIS TIME WE ARE NOT SURE IF THE FIRMWARE IS TO BLAME OR SOMETHING ELSE

:LOL:

Maybe you should email Canon and point out their error, they might send you something as a thank you for bringing it to their attention (most likely just be an email though) :p :wink:

Err nope, I have not upgraded as I don't have a wireless transmitter and will wait until they improve or fix something that will help.

You are joking about the upgrade sticking though? Is everything ok? :shock:

Steve said:
Err nope, I have not upgraded as I don't have a wireless transmitter and will wait until they improve or fix something that will help.

You are joking about the upgrade sticking though? Is everything ok? :shock:

Er NO im not joking ! lol

Been stuck at 94% for about 5 minutes at the mo, going to leave it for a while if not will be looking for Canon service centre ! lol

DONT apply this patch just yet !

Thats not good, although in the instructions they are saying it can take approx 8 minutes...I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you :shock:

IanC_UK said:
Still on 94% getting worried now ! lol

Jeees, hope that works out Ian, just like flashing the bios on a mother board, you're always scared it's not going to work

dod said:
IanC_UK said:
Still on 94% getting worried now ! lol

Jeees, hope that works out Ian, just like flashing the bios on a mother board, you're always scared it's not going to work

Yeah, being in IT as well doesnt help ! we ALWAYS firmware update everything even if it doesnt seem worth it, the issues we get with servers not likeing silly little things due to a stupid firmware problem are endless ! Must remember, this doesnt apply to cameras ! lol

Cant recommend anybody does this firmware update at the moment !

How long do i leave it before giving up and switching the flipping thing off ! now thats my next question ! lol

I have just checked the instructions again and found this..

The update will take approximately 2 minutes.
Do not turn the power off, open the CF card slot cover, or press any of the camera’s buttons during the update.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look good at all. Is it still stuck on 94% and showing no signs of activity?

Steve said:
I have just checked the instructions again and found this..

The update will take approximately 2 minutes.
Do not turn the power off, open the CF card slot cover, or press any of the camera’s buttons during the update.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look good at all. Is it still stuck on 94% and showing no signs of activity?

Yeah thats what i thought ! I have had firmwares succesfully complete and show errors before, but whether that will be the case here i dont know ! am going toleave it until 8pm then swithc off and see what i have done to it ! lol

Still 94% no movement, nothing, if i hadnt lent my old digicam to my brother would take a pic and post it !

keep us informed mate as I would hate this update to catch anyone else out. As a precaution I will add a big warning to my initial post.

I am now crossing my fingers, toes and my legs for you, hopefully after the switch off and restart everything will be ok.

Hmmmm switched the camera off, nothing happened ! it didnt switch off !

Took battery out, lights out !
Took out the cf card with the firmware on, and put the battery back, and a clean cf card, camera requesting cf with update !
Power off again (removing battery as power switch doesnt work anymore)
Put the CF back in and battery.
Asks if i want to update 2.0.0 to 2.0.0 say yes why not, cant get any worse ! lol
Update completed succesfully !
Switch off, remove battery, and swap back to blank cf, battery back in, tremble, breathe, count to 10 !!!!
Switch on (eyes closed) lol lights camera ACTION ! :)
Just put lens back on seems to be fine, and takes pics, shows 2.0.0 in the firmware section !

Breathes a sigh of relief !

:roll: :shock: :? 8) :D

Ah good, delay is obviously a "feature" then, try it again , just to confirm :wink:

Seriously though, glad it worked out :)

IanC_UK said:
Hmmmm switched the camera off, nothing happened ! it didnt switch off !

Breathes a sigh of relief !

:roll: :shock: :? 8) :D

That makes two of us!!! I am really glad everything has turned out ok :)

Steve said:
That makes two of us!!! I am really glad everything has turned out ok :)

Thanks Steve !

I would seriously leave that disclaimer/warning up there ! As i have said i am used to firmware flashing stuff and having it fail, and have a very enquiring mind if it goes wrong ! lol and if necessary isnt a major problem for me to take to Canon and get them to put it right !

IanC_UK said:
Me too mate ! me too ! How did you get on with your issues ? any joy as yet ?

Nah, just using it on manual focus, I'll get round to sending it off eventually.

For the record, 20D was version 1.1.0 firmware before flashing, took lens off and put the cap on the body, battery was fully charged !

It sat at 94% for at least 40 minutes, and didnt move at all, when attempting to switch the camera off, the power switch failed to work ! only removing the battery stopped power !

Re-starting the process seems to have fixed it ! and it completed in about 2 to 3 minutes !

(just in case)

IanC_UK said:
I would seriously leave that disclaimer/warning up there ! As i have said i am used to firmware flashing stuff and having it fail, and have a very enquiring mind if it goes wrong ! lol and if necessary isnt a major problem for me to take to Canon and get them to put it right !

Don't worry it is staying there!!! :LOL:

:shock:

I'll be giving that a miss I think.

CT said:
:shock:

I'll be giving that a miss I think.

Me too! too risky by the sound of it. (I am a coward! :eek:ops: )

AndyD

Theres always the possibility it was just a glitch on my camera, but can totally understand you being reluctant !

All is fine now though, it wont scare me off doing another one, im quite happy to be the boards guinea pig ! lol

Unless the firmware fixes something important I wouldn't upgrade it.

Back