New 80D vs Used 7D2

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm getting back into photography and two of the areas I'm interested in are birds in flight and motor sports. I'm looking at lens options like a used Canon 100-400 mark 1, used Canon 400 F5.6, new Sigma 100-400 or new Tamron 150-600. I currently have a Canon 500D which I don't think has the autofocus capability to keep up with birds in flight (or do any of these lenses justice). So for the same sort of money I can get a nice used 7D2 or a new 80D. It seems to me that the 80D is a bit lighter, has the articulating screen and maybe has better IQ and noise suppression than the 7D2. The 7D2 on the other hand has better autofocus and frame rate but is heavier and older.

Anyone have any thoughts on how these two compare please? :)

I've borrowed both fairly recently as I'm still deciding which to jump to from my 7D - depends what you want from the camera really, they both have strengths and weaknesses.

80D was nicer at lower ISO, and the ability to bring back shadow detail was almost spooky. Get to higher ISO though and the 7D2 wins on noise by quite a decent margin, which was very unexpected.

Autofocus and general usability was definitely nicer on the 7, and build quality just feels like a step up from the 80. Came away actually slightly preferring my 7D1 to the 80D, which was completely not what I was expecting at all!

For long lenses and birds, the 7D2 is the way I'd go without a doubt, personally. I think the 80D is a slightly better general purpose camera, but for wildlife it's just not quite as good as the 7D2.

Of course, both would be a huge leap up from a 500D. :D

Having extensively researched the 7d2 - I would agree with the above.

If it's going to be used for action - 7d2

If you are using for action shooting then my vote is 7d2 and look at a sigma 150-600c to keep the weight down. I use this very combination and the results are very good

Thanks @Fuzzdog @Rake & @wave01

I guessed from the specs that the 7D2 would be better for birds/motorsports, I just wondered how things like IQ & noise control had moved on with newer cameras like the 80D. Having said that, everyone who has a 7D2 seems to love it!

I've borrowed both fairly recently as I'm still deciding which to jump to from my 7D - depends what you want from the camera really, they both have strengths and weaknesses.

80D was nicer at lower ISO, and the ability to bring back shadow detail was almost spooky. Get to higher ISO though and the 7D2 wins on noise by quite a decent margin, which was very unexpected.

Autofocus and general usability was definitely nicer on the 7, and build quality just feels like a step up from the 80. Came away actually slightly preferring my 7D1 to the 80D, which was completely not what I was expecting at all!

For long lenses and birds, the 7D2 is the way I'd go without a doubt, personally. I think the 80D is a slightly better general purpose camera, but for wildlife it's just not quite as good as the 7D2.

Of course, both would be a huge leap up from a 500D. :D

i agree with previous comments on this thread 7D2 is best sports & wildlife were the 80 is a better all round everyday DSLR
I have tried out the 7D2 and it is a great DSLR and compared to my 7D1 it is a good improvement.

Thanks @Fuzzdog @Rake & @wave01

I guessed from the specs that the 7D2 would be better for birds/motorsports, I just wondered how things like IQ & noise control had moved on with newer cameras like the 80D. Having said that, everyone who has a 7D2 seems to love it!

What I remember reading about both these camera`s was, if you want a great everyday camera go for the 80D. If you want a great camera for any sports or wildlife the 7D Mk ii wins hands down.

Thanks @Tysonator I looked at a used 7D1 so interesting to hear from someone that has one how much better the 7D2 is

Thanks @Dave70D That confirms what I've read - shame it's so flippin heavy!

Thanks @LC2 Nice shot! What lens were you using?

Back