New backpack camera bag suggestions?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using a Lowpro flipside 500 for years, and a good bag it is. Trouble is I've ran out of space in it. Now Ideally I'd like the same bag only bigger, but they dont make one. So any ideas? I love the internal layout in the LP bag
It needs to hold 2 gripped FF bodies with 24-105 size lens on them, 2 flashes, and at least 6 extra lens plus video light, microphone and all the other bits and bobs.
I like the look of the new tactical version but it's smaller than the one I have now so a non starter. Any suggestions folks?
Thanks.

I was going to suggest this but not sure if its any bigger than you have, if it is then its an excellent bag!

Otherwise take a look at the Action or Explore version :

I was going to suggest this but not sure if its any bigger than you have, if it is then its an excellent bag!

Otherwise take a look at the Action or Explore version :

The backlight looks smaller, hard to say but theAction and explore range look promising. Thanks mate.

I bought one of these and love it

The backlight looks smaller, hard to say but theAction and explore range look promising. Thanks mate.

Mindshift make a 40L bag called the Firstlight and it's about the size of a carry on rollerbag except in backpack form. I use mine for my 8x10 setup and I see they've updated the bags to 35L and 46L.

I've been using a Lowpro flipside 500 for years, and a good bag it is. Trouble is I've ran out of space in it.
The answer is clearly an AW400 but worn on your front :coat:

I used to carry "everything" now I may have a bag on me and a second (AW500) (or third (another AW500)) in the car with the "just in case" stuff in it. Typically an AW400 actually with me.

Have you looked at the Lowe pro protactic 450?

I use one off these, but looking at the spec on yours I don't think there's much differance, except for the little bag that can be clipped to the top for extra storage space.

I bought one of these and love it
A few interesting bags there, I'll to have a proper look. Thank you.

The answer is clearly an AW400 but worn on your front :coat:

I used to carry "everything" now I may have a bag on me and a second (AW500) (or third (another AW500)) in the car with the "just in case" stuff in it. Typically an AW400 actually with me.
I actually considered a front bag.... Really I need a transit van with shoulder straps.. :)

Never got on with 'traditional' types of camera backpack as I come from a hiking background. They're generally too bulky and heavy and have little or no space for anything non-photo related. That's why I adopted a using a number of F-Stop bags early on, and more recently switched to Shimoda (Action X) which have a more innovative design. I have a 30 litre and a 70 litre and can swap the modules inside to suit whatever I am doing. If I had to chose a single bag solution, I'd go for the halfway house of the 50 litre, which I think is the most versatile size. Not cheap though, but not a lot more than the higher end models from the likes of LowePro and Vanguard, etc.

I use one off these, but looking at the spec on yours I don't think there's much differance, except for the little bag that can be clipped to the top for extra storage space.

I was going to suggest this one too. I have the protactic 450 and a friend as this and it's considerably larger.

I fairly quickly gave up trying to carry ‘everything’ in one bag, as soon as the bag was big enough it was too much to carry.

I ended up with a reasonably sized ‘lens bag’ which was perfect for carrying about once I was wearing my cameras.

As an ‘enthusiast’ I’m now struggling between the amount of gear I’m happy to carry and what I might want with me ‘just in case’.

But bluntly, I’m too lazy to behave like a pack horse, so I’d rather pare down the kit.

I was going to suggest this one too. I have the protactic 450 and a friend as this and it's considerably larger.
This looks a possible, I need to check a few out properly. I'll look up videos or see if my local camera shop has them for a proper nose around. Thanks.

I fairly quickly gave up trying to carry ‘everything’ in one bag, as soon as the bag was big enough it was too much to carry.

I ended up with a reasonably sized ‘lens bag’ which was perfect for carrying about once I was wearing my cameras.

As an ‘enthusiast’ I’m now struggling between the amount of gear I’m happy to carry and what I might want with me ‘just in case’.

But bluntly, I’m too lazy to behave like a pack horse, so I’d rather pare down the kit.
The weight is an issue. What I've been doing recently is taking a second shoulder type bag with a body and lens and it's flash, wearing that camera after I park and leaving the empty bag in the car. Trouble is I'm not really happy as people see me getting a camera out and leaving a bag in my car and may think theres more gear there to pinch.
A mate converted a wheeled suitcase to a MASSIVE camera bag. That worked a treat till he did a venue upstairs, he had to mug someone into helping him in and out. That was the end of that bag.
I considered switching systems to something smaller and lighter, but I have a load of kit, it would cost too much to replace it all with new.

Never got on with 'traditional' types of camera backpack as I come from a hiking background. They're generally too bulky and heavy and have little or no space for anything non-photo related. That's why I adopted a using a number of F-Stop bags early on, and more recently switched to Shimoda (Action X) which have a more innovative design. I have a 30 litre and a 70 litre and can swap the modules inside to suit whatever I am doing. If I had to chose a single bag solution, I'd go for the halfway house of the 50 litre, which I think is the most versatile size. Not cheap though, but not a lot more than the higher end models from the likes of LowePro and Vanguard, etc.
I've not had much luck with hiking camera bags, I never liked the idea of the hiking kit being above my cameras. Wet kit and your brew kit just wating to leak into my cameras. Plus most I tried seemed badly designed, the camera gear was either too hard to get at or too easy for someone to take while you were wearing it. Not tried the ones you've linked though. I'll check them out thanks.

I've been using a Lowpro flipside 500 for years, and a good bag it is. Trouble is I've ran out of space in it. Now Ideally I'd like the same bag only bigger, but they dont make one. So any ideas? I love the internal layout in the LP bag
It needs to hold 2 gripped FF bodies with 24-105 size lens on them, 2 flashes, and at least 6 extra lens plus video light, microphone and all the other bits and bobs.
I like the look of the new tactical version but it's smaller than the one I have now so a non starter. Any suggestions folks?
Thanks.
I have to ask the question, why do you need all that gear with you? seems a hell of a lot to lug about. on my Iceland trip

All I took was my panasonic DC-TZ95 and the camcorder together with spare batteries and chargers also an extrnl microphone. all fitted into a old Tamrac system 6 bag. Gave up taking a heavy DSLR and a couple of lenses for it
you mentioned about cost of replacement, surely you have it all insured ?

Last edited:
I have to ask the question, why do you need all that gear with you? seems a hell of a lot to lug about. on my Iceland trip

All I took was my panasonic DC-TZ95 and the camcorder together with spare batteries and chargers also an extrnl microphone. all fitted into a old Tamrac system 6 bag. Gave up taking a heavy DSLR and a couple of lenses for it
you mentioned about cost of replacement, surely you have it all insured ?
When I'm on a job I often have changes to what I'm expecting so I carry a range of kit to cover most situations. That and back-up gear. Having once had three bodies die on the same day, same job in fact (they were used a LOT) I was lucky to have a flourth body in the car which saved me a lot of hassle.
I used to be a press photographer, every time I went out I never knew what I'd end up shooting, a golden wedding could end up as a cricket match or a seige as they'd phone me a new job on the way. Habit now is to be prepared
The cost isnt insurance related, it's the cost of starting up a new system, several pro bodies and a fair range of lens from around 10mm to 600mm-ish. (the range I have now) Thats serious wallet damage ;) Do I really need that range? Probably not if I'm honest. 16mm to 300mm would cover most of my daily stuff , but thats still a fair chunk of money for less weight.... and I'm tight. :)

The weight is an issue. What I've been doing recently is taking a second shoulder type bag with a body and lens and it's flash, wearing that camera after I park and leaving the empty bag in the car. Trouble is I'm not really happy as people see me getting a camera out and leaving a bag in my car and may think theres more gear there to pinch.
A mate converted a wheeled suitcase to a MASSIVE camera bag. That worked a treat till he did a venue upstairs, he had to mug someone into helping him in and out. That was the end of that bag.
I considered switching systems to something smaller and lighter, but I have a load of kit, it would cost too much to replace it all with new.
I used to carry my ‘std’ cameras and lenses in a box that stayed in the boot. I’ll be honest, there were occasions I got nervous taking stuff out of the boot. But that’s the same whether I’d be leaving a case behind it not.

Back