New Body Or Lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
I always wanted a Canon, for no particular reason other than I think they look nice and my Dad used to shoot with one...however, a couple of years ago when I was looking to buy my first DSLR, a friend offered me a used Nikon D60 for a very reasonable price, so I couldn’t really say no! And to be fair, it’s been great.

Now, a couple of years later just using the stock lens and after alot of abuse the poor Nikon is starting to look a bit tired with a few bits dropping off along the way...and I do sometimes feel I get higher quality, if more flat, images from my phone camera?

I enjoy landscape, architectural and wildlife photography most, and would love to try to shoot more wildlife photos if possible...so my question is, should I upgrade the body first (probably getting a Canon) and look to get a telephoto lens down the line? Or is the stock lens limiting me more than the body and should I invest in a Nikon lens? Or should I stop worrying about getting a Canon, and stick with Nikon because they’re better?

EDIT: Or since I already have a birding spotting scope, should I get an adapter and try digiscoping?

Some example images here: https://flic.kr/p/ZB3AQM

Many thanks and sorry for the ramble!

Last edited:
Watching this thread as looking to update my d40 to a D5300, but not sure whether to go body only and keep my old stock 18-55mm, or get one with the later VR 18-55mm.

I would be glad to welcome you to the dark side… NIKON!
I've been there since 40 years and I am used to — and love
– the Nikon system.

I was assigned a job where I had to use Canon gear and it
was ok. I needed some time to get used to it but I was happy
to return to my own equipment.

If you have always really wanted a Canon my view is that feeling wont just go away. It seems like your in a good position to make the change so why not give it a go. I dont shoot either Canon or Nikon but I dont think there are really any bad cameras these days so im sure you would be pleased with what ever you got.

As above. It’s often easier to stick with the system you know. I had a canon thrust into my hands the other day and I had all manner of problems with it.

The main thing is that you actually do seem to need a new body as opposed to just desiring one. :)

It’s probably a good time to scratch the canon itch with a second hand body, and then you won’t have wasted too much money before you return to nikon.

Normally I would always say buy a lens as opposed to a body, but I do think you are ready for a new one. Let us know what you decide on.

Just to throw you a bit of a curved ball, why not buy an old 35mm Canon SLR and a suitable mid-range zoom lens and shoot some film? You could perhaps buy the same model as your Dad used to have (unless of course you have access to the one he owned), or maybe a later/more advanced one? Have a look in the Film and Conventional section of this forum and you'll find there are quite a few of us into using film cameras and enjoying every minute of it. Good quality 35mm film SLRs in full working order can still be bought fairly cheaply, although prices for the more desirable, high-quality stuff have been on the rise lately.

This might give you the Canon experience without breaking the bank, open up another direction and skill set to your photography, and allow you some more time to consider your options on a digital SLR system upgrade. Hope this suggestion is helpful, and perhaps I'll see you in the F&C section in due course? (y)

Last edited:
If you have always really wanted a Canon my view is that feeling wont just go away. It seems like your in a good position to make the change so why not give it a go. I dont shoot either Canon or Nikon but I dont think there are really any bad cameras these days so im sure you would be pleased with what ever you got.

Thanks Morph, I was thinking of the Canon 1300D, does this seem like a reasonable choice?

As above. It’s often easier to stick with the system you know. I had a canon thrust into my hands the other day and I had all manner of problems with it.

The main thing is that you actually do seem to need a new body as opposed to just desiring one. :)

It’s probably a good time to scratch the canon itch with a second hand body, and then you won’t have wasted too much money before you return to nikon.

Normally I would always say buy a lens as opposed to a body, but I do think you are ready for a new one. Let us know what you decide on.

Thanks Gremlin, thats reassuring that you agree a new body would make a difference, and not just a whim on my part! I’m considering the Canon 1300D, if you have an opinion on that model? Or should I get a second hand body?

Just to throw you a bit of a curved ball, why not buy an old 35mm Canon SLR and a suitable mid-range zoom lens and shoot some film? You could perhaps buy the same model as your Dad used to have (unless of course you have access to the one he owned), or maybe a later/more advanced one? Have a look in the Film and Conventional section of this forum and you'll find there are quite a few of us into using film cameras and enjoying every minute of it. Good quality 35mm film SLRs in full working order can still be bought fairly cheaply, although prices for the more desirable, high-quality stuff have been on the rise lately.

This might give you the Canon experience without breaking the bank, open up another direction and skill set to your photography, and allow you some more time to consider your options on a digital SLR system upgrade. Hope this suggestion is helpful, and perhaps I'll see you in the F&C section in due course? (y)

Thanks Badger, I would like to trial a film camera at some stage, but whilst I’m learning and taking alot of poor images :whistle:, I worry about the high processing cost when the majority of my images are practise shots. Many thanks for your input though

I know nothing about Canon @Kyuss so i am unable to advise you. I would always go for a better spec second hand model (in great condition) rather than a cheaper new model. You tend to find that people who have better quality bodies, generally look after them better, so unless it has 1000000000 shots on the clock you should be ok.

Back