Beginner new born help

aja

Name
tony
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all ,my daughter gives birth to our first grandson in 2 weeks ,and has asked me to take a couple of photos soon as baby is born ,i have a eos50d,,,,,70/300 lens.....any advice on setting or any tips would be great thankyou

Deleted! Cos apparently it's bull sh1t even though I wouldn't take the chance anyway! Would you if it was you're child and a chance it might anyway......

(Coat on)

Last edited:

I though of doing the same at the birth of my 4 kids.
I setup like this…
ƒ8, — min. 1/100 s. — Auto ISO.

Don't think of using a flash, there should be plenty of light,
make yourself very small! … and stay calm! ;-)

keep-calm-and-carry-a-camera.jpg

That's total nonsense.
+1

…though I would not have said it that way!

The non usage of the flash is more for everybody else
than the baby as there may be a bit of stress then.

+1

…though I would not have said it that way!

The non usage of the flash is more for everybody else
than the baby as there may be a bit of stress then.
Sorry but sometimes you just have to be frank on here especially when a potential newbie is asking a question. This forum is often the source of some really good and really bad advice and it can be difficult to filter it all.

The Daily Mail once ran a story of how a baby had been blinded by flash, it later turned out to be total B/S (as if you wan't able to tell by the fact that it was only the Daily Mail anyway) and turned out that the flash uncovered a medial condition or something along those lines.

If you're going to quote that it affects a newborns retina development, post a decent source along with your claims!

Sorry but sometimes…

I am not saying or suggesting that you are wrong but, though
I was not targeted by your reply, I felt it was hard… only me.

You are right about the really good and really bad advices and
I admit it is not always easy but a forum has the
ability, through
the different replies, to correct and to come to useable inputs.

Very best regards,

Hi Tony, and congrats on your forthcoming grandson!!!

There are lots of lovely baby shots around where they're in that cute 'frog' pose, with lovely hats etc... but be warned, some of those shots are composite images - and by attempting to put baby in certain poses, it can be dangerous for them (frog pose with their head balanced on their fists with elbows on the floor) all of those shots are posed and held in place by parents, and then sections from each shot are merged to make the final image.

Stick to natural light and 'baby in the basket' style, maybe with some soft toys or the bootees or hat granny knitted, and don't forget to hide their modesty, or they'll never forgive you when you haul out those photos to show their new girlfriends ;)

Reactions: aja
thankyou for the help every one ,,,,just used to the grasstrack bikes lol ,,,,,just want these to be as near perfect as possible :runaway:

Sorry but sometimes you just have to be frank on here especially when a potential newbie is asking a question. This forum is often the source of some really good and really bad advice and it can be difficult to filter it all.

The Daily Mail once ran a story of how a baby had been blinded by flash, it later turned out to be total B/S (as if you wan't able to tell by the fact that it was only the Daily Mail anyway) and turned out that the flash uncovered a medial condition or something along those lines.

If you're going to quote that it affects a newborns retina development, post a decent source along with your claims!
I've probably of quoted that article actually! But didn't see it was not actually the case.....

Reactions: aja
Deleted! Cos apparently it's bull sh1t even though I wouldn't take the chance anyway! Would you if it was you're child and a chance it might anyway......

(Coat on)
Yes I would, just like people always have since flashes have been available.

Disclaimer: I've never photographed babies. But a couple of times at exhibitions I've been next to companies selling props etc for baby photography, and in the process I've talked to a lot of people who do it professionally.

The thing that struck me was the emphasis they all placed on posing. As has been mentioned here already, newborn babies don't have the strength to support any parts of their bodies, especially their heads, so you need to be *very* careful when playing them. I think everything else - camera settings, lighting, etc - is a very distant second.

Maybe this would have been obvious to me if I'd ever had children myself. Maybe not. I don't know. But it can't hurt to emphasise it, just in case.

Disclaimer: I've never photographed babies. But a couple of times at exhibitions I've been next to companies selling props etc for baby photography, and in the process I've talked to a lot of people who do it professionally.

The thing that struck me was the emphasis they all placed on posing. As has been mentioned here already, newborn babies don't have the strength to support any parts of their bodies, especially their heads, so you need to be *very* careful when playing them. I think everything else - camera settings, lighting, etc - is a very distant second.

Maybe this would have been obvious to me if I'd ever had children myself. Maybe not. I don't know. But it can't hurt to emphasise it, just in case.
I've also spoken to a lot of people who do it professionally and the difference is that they usually work out of a single studio with their lighting already setup and ready to go, therefore it's mostly about posing.

There are lot's of safe poses you can use though. If it were me I would be trying to inject a bit of originality into the mix as I'm getting a bit bored of the American style of wrapping up babies in cheese cloths and sticking them in buckets and on beanbags. I'm almost as bored of them as I am cake-smash photos.

thankyou for the input ,

I say capture the moment and the memories. I mean a close up of baby wrapped in a blanket, which is being held by mum. Mum gazing into babies eyes, taken over her shoulder. Baby in cot, with teddy bears etc. The room full of cards. It's an important time, and these shots will be looked back on fondly.

Why don't you get a 50mm as this would give you a wider choice and I reckon better focus. Shouldn't be that expensive and you'll use it quite a lot in the next few years.

As above, I think you would need a 50 or 35mm to be more practical and get more intimate shots. Good luck and enjoy...congratulations on your impending grandadness!

Back