New camera...familiar place

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
The first is the one; the clouds (and their reflections) make it. I'm not as bothered about absolute sharpness or still vegetation as you are, but can see that 51 MP will work for you. Do you have a lens longer than 45 mm for it?

The first is the one; the clouds (and their reflections) make it. I'm not as bothered about absolute sharpness or still vegetation as you are, but can see that 51 MP will work for you. Do you have a lens longer than 45 mm for it?
Its quite a jump over the 36mp, and the lens quality is excellent - everywhere on the frame.

I really like the 4:3 aspect ratio of the sensor over the 3:2 of APSC and 35mm.

I have 4 lenses, 28-45, 45-85, 80-160 and 200 prime.

Dynamic range wise its very clean, even cleaner than the Nikons and shadows pull back nicely. Colours etc are all top notch but processing wise, it's DXO pl4, capture one doesn't support the 645z files and arsed with lightroom

And yes, sunrises are rarely that good. It was a very special morning for sure

Last edited:
Finally took the 645z out to play. All with the excellent 28-45.

All shots taken to ensure all small grasses etc tack sharp - at 50mp this sort of stuff shows.

Sunrise

_IMG0054 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Just after sunrise

_IMG0059 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Long after sunrise

_IMG0147 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Over to the famous falls

_IMG0177 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Great shots, I'm looking forward to my first outing in a while tomorrow with my GFX can't wait but I suspect I won't be bringing back any shots as good as these, the weather isn't good for landscapes but I'm out on recces so will take some shots anyway.

Great shots, I'm looking forward to my first outing in a while tomorrow with my GFX can't wait but I suspect I won't be bringing back any shots as good as these, the weather isn't good for landscapes but I'm out on recces so will take some shots anyway.
You'll love the output files from it - our cameras share the same amazing sensor but ultimately for landscapes it's conditions and composition, along with not fluffing the technical stuff that matters most

You'll love the output files from it - our cameras share the same amazing sensor but ultimately for landscapes it's conditions and composition, along with not fluffing the technical stuff that matters most
Agreed, subject, composition and light, the trouble with tomorrow where I am is we are getting sunny cloudless skies so the 3rd element won't be there. I'll work with what I get though as I said I'm on recces so subject and composition are the important ones for now.

lovely shots there
i know where the waterfall shot is taken from
but how do you get to where the reflection in the river shot is ???
cheers

lovely shots there
i know where the waterfall shot is taken from
but how do you get to where the reflection in the river shot is ???
cheers
Its just off the main river. Maybe 300m forward of the bridge over the river near kingshouse

Most take the reflections in the river itself, I prefer two pools just to the side of the msjn river just forward of the bridge, once you're there you'll find it

I'd say that was a good move to the Pentax for you Steve, there's a depth and clarity to these that the D810 just didn't have.
Part of the credit has to go to DXO PL4. As a raw converter its fantastic.

Best camera I've ever had though. To use, the lenses, and the files. Wish I'd gone for this sooner but then again I couldn't have afforded too :(

On the big Eizo they look a lot better, the colours, fine details it really pops out

Last edited:
Lovely Steve - prefer the first as I am all for sunrise colours and to get it doubled with a reflection is the icing on the cake :) Great to see the new camera is all you expected it to be.

Just treated myself to an upgrade to the A7R4.

Dave.

Can't beat a bit of MF pixel popping goodness, good to see.
Yep-its another level:) so clean in the shadows, colours so lovely and natural. Dream machine

Colours may look a tad off. I exported these as aRGB as I use a color managed browser but if you use a smart phone or non aRGB compatible browser they won't look right.

Back