New camera phone?? Huawie P30??

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
My phone is on the way out, it's getting tatty and the batterys not as good as it was, I fancy a decent new one, I've been eying up the Huawie P30 pro, mainly for the camera. Anybody here have one? I'm wondering if it's as good as the reviews I've seen.
I don't fancy an Iphone, her indoors has gone through three and my brother 4 while my old samsung is still kicking and taking a licking as they say (thats without the two new batteries shes had as well) not imperssed.

They are really good phones with really good cameras; and with all the Huawei cuffuffle they are now cheap as chips. Extraordinary value on buying, none on reselling.

I've looked at the P30 pro as a replacement to my Samsung note 9 (bad customer service).

If you like the photography, the P30 pro is amazing with its optical zoom.

What do you intend to shoot with your phone? The Google Pixel series has a brilliant camera and native Android so makes for a great experience. I have an older Pixel 2 and I thought it produced better results than the P20 Pro of it's time.

The Huawei phones seem to apply too much processing and files don't look natural at best of times. The P40 Pro is out next month and should drop prices. The Samsung S20 is also out next month. With all that said the Pixel produces some brilliant results via Google's post processing that is way more natrual than others.

Take look at P3a XL, P3 XL or the P4 XL.

What do you intend to shoot with your phone? The Google Pixel series has a brilliant camera and native Android so makes for a great experience. I have an older Pixel 2 and I thought it produced better results than the P20 Pro of it's time.

The Huawei phones seem to apply too much processing and files don't look natural at best of times. The P40 Pro is out next month and should drop prices. The Samsung S20 is also out next month. With all that said the Pixel produces some brilliant results via Google's post processing that is way more natrual than others.

Take look at P3a XL, P3 XL or the P4 XL.

I suppose it's mostly sort of abstract stuff, bit's of building, the odd normal record shot when I dont have my camera with me, bit of video. Pretty much normal phone stuff. If I'm going out properly I take a camera and kit.

I suppose it's mostly sort of abstract stuff, bit's of building, the odd normal record shot when I dont have my camera with me, bit of video. Pretty much normal phone stuff. If I'm going out properly I take a camera and kit.
I have the P30 Pro and can confirm that the camera is excellent. You wont be disappointed If you get one.

I would not touch a Huawei with someone else's barge pole - have a look at the Samsung Galaxy s20 Plus

I have one the camera on this phone is excellent, cannot fault its low light capability with little or no noise

Les :)

My missus was going to go for the P30 but after watching some reviews she opted for the Mi Note 10, similar specs but she got it a lot cheaper from the Orient [it did take about 3 weeks to arrive] - It's got a bit of a mental camera, 64mp with various reduced MP options for macro etc, it shoots 4K video I believe and has digi image stab - I had a quick try of this and it is really smooth if video is your thing. Images seem crisp and clear, not really pushed it but for a phone cam seems about as good as it gets to me

Last edited:
But can you install Google play?
So the normal app store?

yes you can but not officially

How to get Google Play Store on your Huawei phone

To execute this 'hack', you need to get an app called 'Chat Partner'. This isn't available on Huawei's App Gallery, but you can install it via an APK here. When this is downloaded and installed, open the app.

In the Chat Partner app you'll be prompted to log in, but below this is an option to 'Detect device'. Select this, and you'll be brought to a new menu.

This menu will scan your phone, and inform you that there are no Google apps (which you should already know at this point). Select 'Repair now', then in the next menu 'Activate', and the app should install the Google Play Store for you.

Some have reported needing to restart their handset to see the Google Play Store on the home page, but we didn't need to do this. You'll need to sign in as normal with your Google account to see the apps, and it's worth pointing out we found the Play Store crashed the first two times we tried using it, but after that it did work.

When the Google Play Store is working, you can download all the apps you want, as well as update apps you already have. You can also use the store to download other Google apps, and it also allows you to sign in to the Google apps you have.

This is important, because you could already import a select few Google apps when you set up your Huawei phone, but these were useless as you couldn't sign in.

With this workaround, your Huawei or Honor phone should work just as it would have done if the Huawei ban had never happened. Saying that, there may be unforeseen side-effects to this (namely, the Google Play Store might stop working, or Google or Huawei might detect and stop this 'hack'), so do it at your own risk.

Must be only certain models then as my ol' Honor P smart came with play store pre-installed

Back