• Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Name
Chazz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

So I've been researching some options for an upgrade as I have a pair of D7100's but one of them is getting a bit old and battered now. I have been looking at the following:

D500
D750
D850

If possible I'd like some feedback from actual users on performance.. specifically low light as I do weddings and I find the D7100 struggles sometimes in low light. I may not post much but I am a (very) long time lurker and always come here to see whats new and value your opinions...

Hi

If you mainly do weddings then I would say for the D750/850, the D500 is good for wildlife.

The D850 is one of the best cameras available at the moment and is very versatile. I would certainly recommend it if you can handle the high MP and subsequent file sizes.

The D850 is one of the best cameras available at the moment and is very versatile. I would certainly recommend it if you can handle the high MP and subsequent file sizes.

Yes something I have to consider, I have a late 2015 iMac 4ghz i7 with 32gb RAM - That should be good enough to process the images I would have thought?

another vote for the D810 against the D850 for 3 reasons. First cost- second don't need all those mega pixels- third no built in flash.

I’ve owned all three and imo the best overall is the D850. However, the D750 trumps it in noise handling (although after downsampling the D850 it’s fairly close), and the D500 trumps it in frame rate. I do prefer having the record button assignable to ISO on the D750 rather than having a dedicated ISO button like on the D850. The reason being is that I prefer having metering on the right a la the D750 and you can’t assign metering to the record button on the D850. In fact for me you can’t assign anything overly useful to the record button in the D850 so for me it’s kind of redundant.

The D850’s shutter is a bit quieter than the D750’s, and of course the D850 does have silent shutter in live view, but we all know how bad AF is in live view :rolleyes:

So why is the D850 better? Well for me it has the best colour rendition, images are more detailed, it has a better frame rate (especially with grip) and bigger buffer than the D750, the light up buttons are surprisingly useful, it’s more solidly built and has a gloriously big viewfinder. Also it is a FF and DX camera all in one (you still get 19mp in DX mode). AF is marginally better than the D750, but from memory not quite as good as the D500 by a hair. The AF spread on the D850 is noticably better than the D750.

All this being said it could be overkill for weddings. Files are big, it’s noticably heavier than the D750, and much more expensive. Customers are not going to see the difference between the D500 and D750, let alone any difference between the D750 and D850. In fact, I doubt most would see a difference between the D500 and D850.

Don't rule out the D810 they can be had at bargain prices both New and used :) I'm very impressed with what i have seen of the D500 if you want DX longer reach and a endless buffer :) :)

Back