New camera woes

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
As much as I like my new camera, relearning is a right pain in the behind.
I had my old camera for 6yrs, it had become an extension of me. I new it inside and out (well, all the bit I needed to know), the button positions were second nature, the focus system was fairly simple (DSLR), I'd set up my custom features\buttons to suit me.
Now, even though the new camera is by the same manufacturer, it's a lot newer, with many more features and a fairly different button and dial layout. On the plus side, the menu system is the same, all be it with the added new bits and pieces.
Anyway onwards and upwards, I know I'll get there in the end. I will just have to learn to put up with the wrong button press or dial turn until it's all become second nature again.

I am in the same boat - just gone from Fuji X-T2 to Fuji X-H2s, which shouldn't be too much of a change, but even remembering all the things I set up originally and how I did it.

The only consolation that I can offer, is that despite using my Canon 5D for 8 years before I swapped to Fuji, when I borrowed the same model I used to have 6 months after switching, it felt completely alien to me. Once you (we) are over the initial bump it will be fine.

I am fortunate enough to have several different "systems" from Fuji X-T2, X100T, X-Pro1, GFX 50S to Leica M9s, M2 & M4P (film) Leica D-Lux Typ 109, Canon Fin (film) and Bronica SQ-Ai and SQ-B (film). All work slightly different but because I have so many different ones I seem to be able to swap between them seamlessly.

I’m guessing you’ve upgraded to an R something.

For me there’s 2 stages of setting up a new camera, the first is to take advantage of the reason for the upgrade*. The second is to copy across other settings from my previous camera **.

*for me that was the eye focus; and I watched a setup video on YouTube to set it up. I have always used BBF so I set the AF ON button to single point focus, and the * for eye focus.

** then I put the old and new side by side, to transfer all my usual settings, this means that the muscle memory I already have kicks in. That includes the mfn button, and C1 for use with flash.

Last edited:
I've found that reading the manual is a good place to start learning about any new kit. Either on the throne or with the camera in the hand.

I’m guessing you’ve upgraded to an R something.

For me there’s 2 stages of setting up a new camera, the first is to take advantage of the reason for the upgrade*. The second is to copy across other settings from my previous camera **.

*for me that was the eye focus; and I watched a setup video on YouTube to set it up. I have always used BBF so I set the AF ON button to single point focus, and the * for eye focus.

** then I put the old and new side by side, to transfer all my usual settings, this means that the muscle memory I already have kicks in. That includes the mfn button, and C1 for use with flash.
Yes Phil, I've gone from an 80d to a r7.
I've watched a few YouTube videos on how best to set up the auto focus and have gone the opposite way to you in regards to bbf and * buttons. That's just because I take a lot of action shots of the dogs playing in water and fields.
I've set C1, C2 and C3 up for action, street and macro.
I'm really liking the r7, I just need to use it a bit more to get used to the layout.

I'm fairly lucky, I use several makes and models of cameras a lot, yes the Lumix throws me a curve every now and again, but normally I've figured out the bits I need to know on them all. And I suspect thats the secret, learn the bits you need.
I'm never going to wifi pics from my camera, dont need that for example, so I dont need to know how it works.

I used to have a Fuji X and Nikon F as my main systems. But I never quite gelled with the Fuji menus and controls despite having them for over ten years, whereas the Nikons just seemed (for me) more intuitive. I’ve now sold all my Nikon F and Fuji X and consolidated to Nikon Z to get the best of both worlds (the size and weight of mirrorless in a full frame body), and it’s so much easier!
Other than the increasing amount of functionality, the Nikon’s fundamentally work the same way my Nikon D70 did back in 2005 so I was up to speed with the Z’s more or less straight away once I’d spent a few minutes setting them up.

Back