New Canon R5 cost

Edit My Images
No
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I've just watched the 'all singing, all dancing' launch of the new Canon R5 (hell of a camera) and checked out the price - over in the states it retails for $3,899 in Adorama and over here in Blighty it is £4,199 in Wex. This equates to over 25% increase in price in the UK. I just have to ask myself are Canon just ripping off British photographers because they can, it can't be transport costs or taxes because they are similar, so why the stab in the wallet?

It's not just Canon, all electrical goods are pricier in the UK vs US - might be they don't include tax which you would pay at the counter/check out. I was in the States a few year back and visited B&H, was like a kid in a sweet shop looking around at all the prices ... bought a lens and smile dropped a bit when I got to the till where they did indeed add on taxes.

Consider yourself lucky though, here in Ireland expect another good 10% on top of UK prices, reckon we're one of the priciest countries in Europe for electronics

Last edited:
In the States you have to add sales tax on to the price, over here it's already included

Sales tax is often below 5% and doesn’t apply if you order from another state which most people do.

Interesting, Adarama will ship to the UK for $100 and the recipient has to pay 20% VAT and what ever the import duty is - yet to be discovered.

Suspect the US one is advertised without local sales taxes which vary state by state, whereas the Wex pre-order price is inclusive of VAT.

Adding sales tax, carriage, import duty (3.7%) and VAT (20%) will bring it significantly closer to the 'early adopter' UK price which tends to drop rapidly.

Last edited:
2020-State-and-Local-Sales-Tax-Rates1.png

Just checked B&H, when VAT is added before payment, the R6 jumps to $3127 which is about £2400

I'll wait for the inevitable price drop a few months later and HDEW pricing. I bet I'll get mine for A LOT less than these early adopter + total rip off prices. It's OK if they don't go far enough quickly enough too. There should be plenty of rock bottom priced 5DIV, 5Ds or even EOS Rs to pick from, perhaps even a Sony.

The video spec may be over the top and IBIS is nice to have, but personally I just need 40+MP body with dual cards to stick onto the tripod.

I'll wait for the inevitable price drop a few months later and HDEW pricing. I bet I'll get mine for A LOT less than these early adopter + total rip off prices. It's OK if they don't go far enough quickly enough too. There should be plenty of rock bottom priced 5DIV, 5Ds or even EOS Rs to pick from, perhaps even a Sony.

The video spec may be over the top and IBIS is nice to have, but personally I just need 40+MP body with dual cards to stick onto the tripod.

Buy an A7RIV then, it's been out there a while now. MP count is way down on my priority list but we're all different, if that's top of your list, it's already there.

Don’t forget to factor in a possible computer upgrade to handle the larger file sizes

Apple used to add 10% when they set prices in the U.K. to cover currency fluctuations, so they do not have to constantly readjust them. It is not something I monitor — because, why would I? — but I have definitely seen times that the base price for their products have been cheaper in the U.K. than in the U.S. because of this.

Notwithstanding that Canon may be fixing their prices to the Yen, but if they applied the same principle then:

$3899 at today's exchange rate = £3,088.92
+10% for fluctuations = £3,397.81
+3.7% import duty for video capable cameras = £3,523.53
+20% VAT = £4228.24

Note that import duty is not charged in the U.S. for video capable cameras (commodity code 9007100000), so the U.S. price will not have any additional charge included.

Notwithstanding that U.S. published prices are before sales tax whilst U.K. ones include VAT, you also have to accept that the net prices in the U.S. will always be cheaper than here because of the different social attitudes. A lot of what we pay for collectively through taxes, Americans instead pay for or make up individually.

Regardless of whether you prefer cheaper cameras and iPhones or free at the point of use healthcare and paid leave, until something changes on one side of the Atlantic it is impossible to make like-for-like comparisons.

I have just checked the B&H site and unless I am missing something it appears that the R5 can be bought for $4733 inclusive of shipping costs and UK taxes paid for by them. If you pay by Paypal this equates to £3785 which is a saving of around £400. That's fine but I am not sure how Canon would view it if you needed any repairs in the first year, would they honour the guarantee?

I have just checked the B&H site and unless I am missing something it appears that the R5 can be bought for $4733 inclusive of shipping costs and UK taxes paid for by them. If you pay by Paypal this equates to £3785 which is a saving of around £400. That's fine but I am not sure how Canon would view it if you needed any repairs in the first year, would they honour the guarantee?
Warranty is usually only valid in the region the camera comes from unless b&h pay canon UK for a repair.

Apple used to add 10% when they set prices in the U.K. to cover currency fluctuations, so they do not have to constantly readjust them. It is not something I monitor — because, why would I? — but I have definitely seen times that the base price for their products have been cheaper in the U.K. than in the U.S. because of this.

Notwithstanding that Canon may be fixing their prices to the Yen, but if they applied the same principle then:

$3899 at today's exchange rate = £3,088.92
+10% for fluctuations = £3,397.81
+3.7% import duty for video capable cameras = £3,523.53
+20% VAT = £4228.24

Note that import duty is not charged in the U.S. for video capable cameras (commodity code 9007100000), so the U.S. price will not have any additional charge included.

Notwithstanding that U.S. published prices are before sales tax whilst U.K. ones include VAT, you also have to accept that the net prices in the U.S. will always be cheaper than here because of the different social attitudes. A lot of what we pay for collectively through taxes, Americans instead pay for or make up individually.

Regardless of whether you prefer cheaper cameras and iPhones or free at the point of use healthcare and paid leave, until something changes on one side of the Atlantic it is impossible to make like-for-like comparisons.
There’s no import duty on stills cameras.

The reason we have max 30mins of video is so that they’re not classed as video cameras.

I get $4857 when I go to check out the pre-order here. And that's only inc an estimated [cheapest option] delivery cost, it'll be a fair bit more once you input your details I imagine

There’s no import duty on stills cameras.

The reason we have max 30mins of video is so that they’re not classed as video cameras.

I had read, in all the talk of video overheating problems, that the R5 has no limit in standard 4K modes up to 30fps. Maybe I misunderstood and it just meant by making consecutive recordings?

Not 100% relevant but I have a Pluto Trigger which claims to bypass the 30 minute limit on any compatible camera if it's an issue for you.

Not tested this particular function but assume it works (as everything else does).

Dougie.

Last edited:
Not 100% relevant but I have a Pluto Trigger which claims to bypass the 30 minute limit on any compatible camera if it's an issue for you.

Not tested this particular function but assume it works (as everything else does).

Dougie.
The daft thing is that if you’re actually ‘film making’ most clips can be counted in seconds not minutes, and certainly not hrs. (I appreciate there are notable exceptions- but they’re just that).

Back