New CC pricing for Photoshop

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I don't know if anyone has picked this up, but last week Adobe announced a new pricing scheme for Photographers.

This is for Photoshop and Lightroom 5 plus 20Gb of storage for £8.78/ month.

This is a lot better than the original price.

This could make a lot of difference to how people now see the CC option

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom?sdid=KIHZP

I do wonder if Adobe is leading towards establishing Lightroom as solely a CC product. Timing is everything. I can't help but presume that once enough of us are locked into Lightroom, Adobe will withdraw it as a perpetual product. I may be a cynic but I wouldn't be surprised if we'll never see LR6 except as a CC application.

Personally, I think this is a great deal, PS and LR for £8.78 a month. I'm a happy customer :)

I think it is a great deal, but one I'm excluded from as both photoshop licences I own are academic ones. I understand why, but still a bit miffed!

I guess it's not going as well as they hoped hence the halving of the price.

If enough people join up I guarantee the price will double when they have enough hooked, if they don't I would not be surprised to see the perpetual licence back, after all it's all about the almighty buck with Adobe.;)

Adobe are quite content with the cc model. Over 1 million subscribers, prior to the photography deal.

The photography deal was introduced, as Adobe recognised that the full creative suite subscription, was not an attractive option for photographers.

The $9.99 deal is not an introductory deal, anyone availing of this will stay at this price, perhaps not forever, but for a considerable time. I expect, post 31st December, that the photography deal will be opened to all subscribers at something around $19.99 per month.

I'm certain that the creative cloud based subscription is here to stay. There are quite a few advantages, for Adobe, over the perpetual licence arrangement.

I do wonder if Adobe is leading towards establishing Lightroom as solely a CC product. .

Adobe have stated that Lightroom will always be a perpetual licence product. I suspect it's relatively low cost doesn't really make it a CC contender

That's £8.78 every month for as long as you want to use the product. Stop paying and you can't use it.

Personally I think that the regular updates issued by Adobe have too small incremental changes which are not worth paying for. So like many other folks I skip a few generations and then seriously think about whether or not the newer version will bring any value to what I want to do.

With LR providing 98% of what I want and the remaining 2% being carried out with PS CS2 this offer holds no value to me.

Even so I don't think I will ever want to use anything other than a perpetual license.

Colin

Adobe have stated that Lightroom will always be a perpetual licence product. I suspect it's relatively low cost doesn't really make it a CC contender

No they haven't.

Adobe have said that LR will remain a licensed product "indefinitely."

Note that he definition of 'indefinitely' is :
Not definite, especially:
a. Unclear; vague.
b. Lacking precise limits: an indefinite leave of absence.
c. Uncertain; undecided: indefinite about their plans.

The actual Adobe quote is here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

So it basically means Lightroom will be available to buy until Adobe decide otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm a little bit bemused about the vitriol here towards Adobe.

- If you already have an Adobe product, and don't want CC then don't buy it
- If you already have an Adobe product and don't want to go to subscription pricing don't buy it
- If you don't use an Adobe product and don't want to now/in the future then don't buy it
- If you got a deal on an educational version then don't expect a deal on CC
- If you have a pirate copy of Photoshop and have no intention of buying it then you just don't get a voice in this discussion

For those of us who have done the maths (at whatever pricing and packaging we have been offered) and feel like it is a worthy expense for the capability we receive then let *us* make that decision.

I'm in at £8.78, I wasn't in at £19.99. I have CS5 and LR4 - if at some point Adobe decide to increase pricing beyond the threshold that I'm prepared to pay then I'm out and back to my perpetual licences - and I'll no doubt have a machine and an operating system that will run them. I'll also have access to free camera manufacturers software that will do a RAW -> DNG conversion for me to keep me working should I be on a camera that isn't supported by my legacy software. Or I can re-evaluate the market and go with an alternative. I'm not going to lose my images, or any editing I have done on them, while I was a subscriber.

£8.78 a month represents a reasonable balance to the every other update of Photoshop I make, and the every Lightroom version which I buy. I also make significantly more then that a month from the use of the software - for me it is a cost of doing business, but then I'm a professional using professional software.

This isn't a flash in the pan - Microsoft have pretty much moved most of their products over to subscription licensing already with a lot less regular innovation in the Office products than there is in PS and LR - the whole industry is going to SaaS. I can't see Adobe going back to a perpetual model only, and if they do then you'll see much less generous upgrade paths than before - so if you are on CS3 then I'd recommend picking up a licensed version of CS5 or CS6 from someone with a CC subscription who feels they no longer need it.

I'm a little bit bemused about the vitriol here towards Adobe.

- If you already have an Adobe product, and don't want CC then don't buy it
- If you already have an Adobe product and don't want to go to subscription pricing don't buy it
- If you don't use an Adobe product and don't want to now/in the future then don't buy it
- If you got a deal on an educational version then don't expect a deal on CC
- If you have a pirate copy of Photoshop and have no intention of buying it then you just don't get a voice in this discussion.
You missed those who don't have Photoshop at present but might want to start using it.
For those of us who have done the maths (at whatever pricing and packaging we have been offered) and feel like it is a worthy expense for the capability we receive then let *us* make that decision.

I'm in at £8.78, I wasn't in at £19.99. I have CS5 and LR4 - if at some point Adobe decide to increase pricing beyond the threshold that I'm prepared to pay then I'm out and back to my perpetual licences - and I'll no doubt have a machine and an operating system that will run them. I'll also have access to free camera manufacturers software that will do a RAW -> DNG conversion for me to keep me working should I be on a camera that isn't supported by my legacy software. Or I can re-evaluate the market and go with an alternative. I'm not going to lose my images, or any editing I have done on them, while I was a subscriber.

£8.78 a month represents a reasonable balance to the every other update of Photoshop I make, and the every Lightroom version which I buy. I also make significantly more then that a month from the use of the software - for me it is a cost of doing business, but then I'm a professional using professional software.
But for those that don't have Photoshop and want to start using it, the £8.78 a month is not an option, the monthly cost appears to be £17.58, which I do not consider to be "reasonable."
Not all of us are professionals earning money to cover the rental cost and Adobe seem to have totally ignored the hobbyist area of the market in their CC policy.
Please don't mention Elements as an alternative, since it is too crippled to offer a viable alternative to the "real thing."

This isn't a flash in the pan - Microsoft have pretty much moved most of their products over to subscription licensing already with a lot less regular innovation in the Office products than there is in PS and LR - the whole industry is going to SaaS.
I don't know what SaaS is, but there are plenty of alternatives that do the same job as MS Office, several of them free. Just how much can you 'innovate' a simple word processor or spreadsheet program anyway?
I can't see Adobe going back to a perpetual model only, and if they do then you'll see much less generous upgrade paths than before - so if you are on CS3 then I'd recommend picking up a licensed version of CS5 or CS6 from someone with a CC subscription who feels they no longer need it.
You're probably right about not reverting to a perpetual model, but CS6 hasn't yet been totally eliminated by Adobe, it's still possible to buy it from their website, and other vendors are still offering CS5.
Many people have said "I'm not moving to the 'cloud', CS6 does everything I need and I'll continue to use it as long as it will run."

When it comes to photo editors, there are loads of Photoshop alternatives and the introduction of CC will ensure that Adobe's competitors will probably try even harder than they have up to now.
Personally, I've managed without Photoshop so far, and I'm not about to change things.
Lightroom, plus a few plug-ins, does everything I need, but I acknowledge other people have different requirements.

So great I can get LR5 and PS-CC for 8.78 per month. But Adobe can raise the price any time after the 1st 12 months. At which point I can pay it or cancel.

Cancel means lose access to all my back-catalog of image or I can pay the increase FOR EVER until they raise it again.

Sorry - but a thousand times no.

So great I can get LR5 and PS-CC for 8.78 per month. But Adobe can raise the price any time after the 1st 12 months. At which point I can pay it or cancel.

Cancel means lose access to all my back-catalog of image or I can pay the increase FOR EVER until they raise it again.

You don't lose access to anything - all your images are still on the hard drive of your computer, and whatever backup system you use.

The only thing you lose access to is Photoshop, LR5 is a perpetual licence so you can still use that.

You lose access to all the post processing, crops, key wording. Given that light room is all non-destructive, that represents A LOT of stuff to lose.

Sure I backup my images, but I also backup the light room catalogue. The latter is what I stand to lose if I ever decide to stop being held to ransom.

The package I mentioned above includes both light room and PS as CC products (If I understand correctly) so I would lose light room.

£17.50 a month for all that processing power is awesome. Considering the cost of everything else in life I don't think its unreasonable at all. I for one, welcome the move by Adobe.

Also, why does everyone think they are in it for anything other than a dollar or two? Aren't everyone else? Why pick on Adobe? Why do we not see the hate directed at Canon or Nikon for their ridiculous prices?

Baffles me....

£17.50 a month for all that processing power is awesome. Considering the cost of everything else in life I don't think its unreasonable at all. I for one, welcome the move by Adobe.

Also, why does everyone think they are in it for anything other than a dollar or two? Aren't everyone else? Why pick on Adobe? Why do we not see the hate directed at Canon or Nikon for their ridiculous prices?

Baffles me....

To me the thing that is most ridiculous is Adobe's price for the stand alone version of Photoshop, which is one of several reasons why I've chosen never to use it.

You can still buy CS6 from Adobe for a mere £660.51 so you don't have to sign up to the cloud.

A more realistic way of looking at it is to consider how many years of use of a 'perpetual' version of Photoshop that £17.58 per month would buy you.
A quick calculation says that equates to about 37 months of use of a full price version of CS6 if you are a new user.
As an existing user, the £8.78 per month represents 75 months use, although of course you have already paid the up front cost of buying the program.
The question is, would you replace/upgrade your copy of CS6 with whatever version might be available after three years use?
If you want to keep a stand alone version for more than three years then you are better off buying rather than renting.
It has been pointed out that recent "enhancements" to PS have been small, and that the program is about as developed as it needs to be.
A number of people have said "CS6 does all I need and I'll continue to use it as long as it will run."
Future Photoshop updates are likely to be towards covering raw processing for as yet unreleased cameras, a task that is adequately covered at present by LightRoom, and presumably will continue to be with future updates.

I think Adobe have realised that they cannot sell as many stand alone new versions of PS as they have in the past since it is becoming increasingly difficult to add value to the program, hence their idea to go to rental to keep their revenue up. With a guaranteed monthly income, there becomes less pressure on them to develop the program further.
I wonder if, in two or three years, we are going to hear people saying "I've not had an update for months, what are Adobe doing for their money?"

As I've said, other than trialling a few versions, I'm not a Photoshop user and have no intention of becoming one, neither as a stand alone nor rental version.
There are many other programs that can do everything I need, although I recognise that other users requirements may be different to mine.
At present Lightroom plus some plug-ins serves my needs just fine, and at a fraction of the cost of CS6.

You lose access to all the post processing, crops, key wording. Given that light room is all non-destructive, that represents A LOT of stuff to lose.

Sure I backup my images, but I also backup the light room catalogue. The latter is what I stand to lose if I ever decide to stop being held to ransom.

The package I mentioned above includes both light room and PS as CC products (If I understand correctly) so I would lose light room.

If you move away from the cc model, you could still purchase a perpetual licence version of LR, therefore using your existing catalog and not losing anything.

I'm now on the £8.78 cc model for PS and LR. For me, having access to these 2 programs for the price of a couple a beers a month, is excellent.

If Adobe stop moving forward with the development of the programs, something I highly doubt, then I'll just move back to the perpetual licence version of LR.

The CC model at 8.78 for LR and PS is great value - but there ability and right to raise the price after the 1st 12 months is what scares me. You are being held to ransom with a product for which there is no viable, compatible alternative.

Acetone also makes an interesting point about the security aspects of a CC type arrangement.

I'm running LR5 and CS4 and am happy with that arrangement.....

If Adobe stop moving forward with the development of the programs, something I highly doubt, then I'll just move back to the perpetual licence version of LR.

But that's the whole reason behind CC, photoshop is now a fully mature program, there will be tiny improvements,but not that wow factor of something new and must have, thus less reason to upgrade. Adobe realize this same as Microsoft do with office, that big bounce in income at each new version release has gone, so they move to a basic rental income.

Back