new compact required

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

So I encourage my son to take photos using my canon s90. but aggh - he dropped it today and its kaput! lens won't go in or out.

So need a new compact - new sxxx or something else - what do you recommend . I use it mainly for quick shots & videos of the family

Also got a cannon 550d and fujix100 so this is more of a handy pocket size camera to have on my most days. What would u all suggest?

Thanks

David

I'm thinking a canon gx7 or 9 for me and for the 6 year old son with the butter fingers a nikon s33

what do u think?

I have the G7X and I ended up using it more than my 450D. Very happy with it for easy days out.

Now have a 70D but I will be happy to use that and the G7X depending on what sort of day out I will be planning.

That combination is my ideal set up. The Sony RX100 series seem pretty well regarded too and it seems it is just down to personal choice.

I handled both in the shop and preferred the G7X.

Thanks . I'll have a look at that Sony too. Any other recommendations anyone ?

The rx100 looks like a bargain to me with very similar specs . And yet I've always sworn by canon point and shoots . Can I turn to the dark side ?

Rx100 is great - I've only had mine a few weeks so am still getting to grips with it. 1" sensor blah blah :D

The rx100 looks like a bargain to me with very similar specs . And yet I've always sworn by canon point and shoots . Can I turn to the dark side ?
I've been looking at these but keep swaying to the G7x as it has a faster and wider lens than the similarly priced RX100 mark II, and more range than the more expensive RX100-III. It does lack a viewfinder compared to the RX100-III though.

If you can cope with a bit more bulk the new Canon G5x looks good

Amazon prices

Canon G7x 24-100mm f1.8-2.8 £322.
RX100-II 28-100mm f1.8-4.9 £350
RX100-III 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 £569.
Canon G5x 24-100mm f1.8-2.8 £549.

Last edited:
I was also on the hunt for something to give to the other half for quick shots & videos of the family.

How good is the auto focus on the G7X in video? Does focus lock and stay with the subject?

I've been looking at these but keep swaying to the G7x as it has a faster and wider lens than the similarly priced RX100 mark II, and more range than the more expensive RX100-III. It does lack a viewfinder compared to the RX100-III though.

If you can cope with a bit more bulk the new Canon G5x looks good

Amazon prices

Canon G7x 24-100mm f1.8-2.8 £322.
RX100-II 28-100mm f1.8-4.9 £350
RX100-III 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 £569.
Canon G5x 24-100mm f1.8-2.8 £549.
Or an RX100 mk1 for £240. Just as good IQ just missing some bells and whistles from the mk2 and 3. A few shots taken with it from the New Zealand leg of my recent travels;

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-a-compact-pt-3-new-zealand-pic-heavy.607980/

Last edited:
Think the rx100 is just 189 or 199 on amazon . Both got more or less the same sensor size .

Yep it's a good choice, although I'd personally still choose the Canon over the mark I and II for the f2.8 at the long end vs f4.9 on the Sony.

Just need to see how many Amazon vouchers Santa brings me ;)
Yes, that's one thing that lets the mk1 down, the aperture at the longer lengths.

Think the rx100 is just 189 or 199 on amazon . Both got more or less the same sensor size .
They all have the same sized sensor - 1"

Think I'm settled on a canon . Think if miss the fast lens on the s90 . Makes u wonder why sony didn't put a faster lens on in the first place . Presume the low light ISO capacity but even so what about dof .

Think I'm settled on a canon . Think if miss the fast lens on the s90 . Makes u wonder why sony didn't put a faster lens on in the first place . Presume the low light ISO capacity but even so what about dof .
Possibly due to range, ie 28-100 vs 24-70mm of the Mark III and IV. Makes you wonder why they can't get 24-100mm f1.8-2.8 like Canon though. I guess it's due to the space taken up with the viewfinder, after all look how much bigger the G5x is, which is essentially a G7x with a viewfinder.

The mk1 is still f/1.8 at the wide end up until about 35mm or so. The mk3 and 4 retain it even further along and only stop down to f/2.8, but of course their lenses are shorter. It's the same with any compact - there has to be compromises somewhere!

The incredible IQ of the RX100 more than makes up for it though :)

Last edited:
I've got a variable zoom on my canon . The 15 85 and find they do kick in to higher fs quite quickly . Presume this would be similar . Amazing how often faster glass comes in handy

The mk1 is still f/1.8 at the wide end up until about 35mm or so. The mk3 and 4 retain it even further along and only stop down to f/2.8, but of course their lenses are shorter. It's the same with any compact - there has to be compromises somewhere!

The incredible IQ of the RX100 more than makes up for it though :)
Not true according to this. The mark II stops down rapidly initially then fairly gradually, the Mark 3 stops down pretty rapidly. The G7x and LX100 stop down much more gradually, but the LX100 has the advantage of a larger sensor hence the larger equivalent aperture (in terms of DOF)

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-29%20at%2016.45.52_zpseabyvtpz.png

i am very happy with my ricoh gr, an aps-c sensor in a pocketable camera however it is a fixed 24mm equivalent lens (f2.8) although there are 35mm and 50mm crop modes.

i am very happy with my ricoh gr, an aps-c sensor in a pocketable camera however it is a fixed 24mm equivalent lens (f2.8) although there are 35mm and 50mm crop modes.
Interesting, what does the res drop to for each mode?

i made a typo the normal mode is 28mm equivalent for 16mp. The 35mm crop gives a 10mp image and the 50mm (actually 47mm) i am not quite sure but i estimate probably about 6-7mp.

Back