New computer required

It says windows 8 but when you lick on it it shows a a windows 10 upgrade but unsure if it's installed it....

I know a lot about cameras but pc's I know scooby

So I've got a Lenovo G50-30......

I know nothing about pcans laptops.....

What's the best route? I'm only using laptop for photo editing and storage..... Nothing else

All help appreciated

Your laptop is one of these: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/lenovo-g50-30-4933

It was launched as an entry level laptop (according to Lenovo marketing) in 2014. Max ram expansion is 8GB.

People can tell you all sorts of things about how it should be able to handle D810 files, but you're the chump who's going to have to sit and wait for it to grudgingly let you edit your images because it's not very powerful. Been there, done that with a crappy core 2 duo Macbook, and it's very unrewarding - there is little pleasure to be had from trying to work with an old dog - it kills creativity and enjoyment.

If you follow @broc's link you could have one of these within your budget using his discount code, and that's NOT an entry-level machine: https://www.dellrefurbished.co.uk/laptops/dell-latitude-14-7000-series-e7450-49925.html

Last edited:
you need to run msinfo32 this will launch the System Information utility, that should tell you what version is actually installed.
I am inclined to agree with what @ancient_mariner says though, maybe it's time to move on, especially if you are facing hardware & software upgrades.

I have a DELL Optiplex 7020 desktop (admittedly with a previous generation i7 processor) but it has 16gb memory, 256gb SSD and 1tb 2.5" HDD and it flies under Windows 10. I use the onboard graphics for Photoshop, 3D modelling (I have a 3D printer), it is small and very quiet. I bought loads of these a few years ago for use at school where I was a network manager before I retired.

Thank you but the DELL40 code didn't work... Its for desktops not laptops
Your laptop is one of these: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/lenovo-g50-30-4933

It was launched as an entry level laptop (according to Lenovo marketing) in 2014. Max ram expansion is 8GB.

People can tell you all sorts of things about how it should be able to handle D810 files, but you're the chump who's going to have to sit and wait for it to grudgingly let you edit your images because it's not very powerful. Been there, done that with a crappy core 2 duo Macbook, and it's very unrewarding - there is little pleasure to be had from trying to work with an old dog - it kills creativity and enjoyment.

If you follow @broc's link you could have one of these within your budget using his discount code, and that's NOT an entry-level machine: https://www.dellrefurbished.co.uk/laptops/dell-latitude-14-7000-series-e7450-49925.html

I think the E7240 Latitude is the only model with 40% off, but with a 12.5" screen it might be a bit small? Of course if you hook up an external mouse, keyboard and display it might suit? When I was at school I had a 15" DELL Latitude laptop attached to a DELL docking station which had 2x 23" screens connected as well as external mouse & keyboard. :)

If you don't need the portability I would go with a desktop, you could continue to use the old Lenovo as a portable device. It would be easier & cheaper to upgrade the desktop memory and storage.

Last edited:
Thank you but the DELL40 code didn't work... Its for desktops not laptops

Bother, I hadn't realised it wasn't a general code. Still think this is the kind of spec you should be looking for.

How are you getting on with those files in your current lappie?

What's the comparable desktop?

I've got a dock station for my Dell works tablet and it would be fantastic if it would link into that......

The works tablet is a latitude5285

I cant actually use the tablet as its locked
I think the E7240 Latitude is the only model with 40% off, but with a 12.5" screen it might be a bit small? Of course if you hook up an external mouse, keyboard and display it might suit? When I was at school I had a 15" DELL Latitude laptop attached to a DELL docking station which had 2x 23" screens connected as well as external mouse & keyboard. :)

If you don't need the portability I would go with a desktop, you could continue to use the old Lenovo as a portable device. It would be easier & cheaper to upgrade the desktop memory and storage.

Last edited:
I can see them but can't do anything with them annoyingly....

Thanks for your help though
Bother, I hadn't realised it wasn't a general code. Still think this is the kind of spec you should be looking for.

How are you getting on with those files in your current lappie?

I can see them but can't do anything with them annoyingly....

Thanks for your help though

Is that because your software isn't up to date? You could always download a free trial of something like On1 Photoraw to see if that will deal with the images.

Found an ideal candidate on the bt website of all places.........

£379 free postage for an HP Pavilian

Looks to be decent enough for what you intend. Obviously the storage is a bit limited so an external fast storage device is required.

I do have a 3tb seagate back up as well
Looks to be decent enough for what you intend. Obviously the storage is a bit limited so an external fast storage device is required.

Well it's not going to be a ball of fire, but it should be upgradable for more storage & RAM and it's cheap enough + had a 1080p screen.

If you can wait it out DDR5 RAM is expected in 2019 at some point.

As with all things PC they go out of date very fast
but it is still a bad idea to get a PC near to when a new RAM grade is to be released.

It might be a long wait though but that is what I would do , there is nothing more annoying
than being a RAM generation behind for years

Can you say exactly what benefits a user will see from DDR5 RAM ?

Higher speed/bandwidth, lower power consumption, and larger capacity sticks.
Some reports are saying it's not going to hit the consumer market until 2020 though.

Higher speed/bandwidth, lower power consumption, and larger capacity sticks.
Some reports are saying it's not going to hit the consumer market until 2020 though.

Thanks, I may buy a new desktop around mid summer. I'll keep my eyes open in case the unlikely happens and it appears without causing prices to brew up.

Can you say exactly what benefits a user will see from DDR5 RAM ?

Only some info is known so far so I would be lying if I said I knew exactly what real world benefit you might actually notice.

But RAM only gets a new version every few years so it is a good idea to try and wait for the new spec if release expected within 12 - 18 months,

but it also depends on how badly you need a new PC, if you need a new one then just get a new one any time.

If you have the luxury of being able to wait for DDR5 then that is what I would do personally.

I am going to. I’ll be in the market in a couple of years. Solid state storage will have dropped even further in price also.

Yes SSD is dropping to sane prices slowly.
I hate how the price of it was very high for so long.
I refused to pay it except on little 120GB drives for the OS system.
Some people were paying £900+ for 1TB drives, I remember seeing them on forums.
Plus they keep getting faster and more durable I believe.

Yes SSD is dropping to sane prices slowly.
I hate how the price of it was very high for so long.
I refused to pay it except on little 120GB drives for the OS system.
Some people were paying £900+ for 1TB drives, I remember seeing them on forums.
Plus they keep getting faster and more durable I believe.

I paid £220 for an external USB Samsung drive. Brilliant little thing

Back