New Computer

Name
Lennard
Edit My Images
Yes
HI, I need to transfer my data from my old computer to my new one.
Happy to back-up old HD Drive, but how do I transfer to the new one?
Both Computers have 2TB Drives so no problem there.
But the Brand new computer has not even been switched on, both on Win 10.
I`m Presuming I have to go through the whole start up routine of a new computer before I can load Back-up Software
Or is there a way that I can Transfer the old drive to the new Computer (I think not) or can I just Clone the old to the new.

I am sure those in the IT business ( e.g. @Compuwight ) might chip in with other details.....but....for now are here my observations FWIW

On the basis of where you say 'transfer data' you only mean image files and pdf's and other sorts of document files......then in your shoes I would use an external hard drive to copy all the "data" to it. Then once the new PC is up & running then transfer the data to the new PC into a folder structure of your choice ;)

If on the other hand you mean you wish to include all your programs etc that is IMO whole series of other steps, on the basis of which do you have all the installers and the license keys to install them all onto the new PC and note that some softwares have in their license agreements that you can only install on one PC , though others allow for up to 3 computers.

I am sorry if I have made it sound complicated but for all who may post can you please provide some insight into what exactly it is that you wish to achieve :) Oh, and best include the programs that you have e.g. Lightroom as the catalogue is important to copy if you wish to avoid re-importing the whole of your images AFAIK ?

Hi,

Generally speaking software cannot be transferred from one PC to another, it has to be a fresh install.

I suggest you download Belarc Advisor on your old PC , run it and print the results, it will list ALL the software on your old PC and may include some Licence Numbers !

At this stage, ensure you have media and licences for all the software !

Start up the new PC and follow the onscreen prompts, then ensure you get all the updates ( Settings - Update & Security) before continuing..

IMHO now is the time to install your Internet Security - so as NOT to introduce problems from your old PC

Now to answer your OP, IMHO backup is not a good option , better and safer to copy files !

You have several options for copying over data files (docs & pics etc)

1 Copy files from your old PC to an external USB drive - safest option !

2 Remove the disk from the old PC and connect temporarily as slave via SATA - then copy files - fastest option (can also leave in new PC as backup)

You could try cloning the old disk but Microsoft will refuse to activate old licence on your new PC and most likely your will then need to re-install Windows anyway & same with any software - not a good option !

Plus your new PC may have OEM partitions which will be destroyed in cloning (removing restore/reinstall to factory settings option)

I hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
whatever you do remember the golden rule.

make sure you have a full external/cloud backup before doing diddly

Back