New D700

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Need to update my profile but I've just got my new D700 a few hours ago.

Oh. My. <Insert your chosen deity here>.

Looking through the viewfinder is quite an experience compared with my D300. The viewing space in the viewfinder is HUGE! It's like looking into the tardis.

I've shot a handful of throwaway images around the house - nothing to post. I'm going to head out a bit later to shoot some photos but wow. I'm blown away by this camera.

If you like the viewfinder, the best £20 you can spend on the D700 is a DK-17m viewfinder magnifier - really makes a difference, especially if you like to manual focus.

Congratulations on your new toy. What will the fate of your D300 be, now?

It sure is a blessing, the huge viewfinder.

Excuse my language, but it's like you've just been relieved from a bad constipation!

The D300 is off to pastures new, hopefullly!

Is it an organic free range body? I heard they fetch more.

Excuse my language, but it's like you've just been relieved from a bad constipation![/QUOTE]

:LOL:

Congrats on your new toy :)

No wonder we haven't heard much from you over the last few weeks ;):LOL:

I've just finally bought a brand new D60 from Jessops, i know it's a cheapy to some of you guys but it will be nice to own an SLR or should i say DSLR since early nineties.

My D40 should have turned up to day and didn't. Apparently an apology is good enough when I specified today for delivery...I don't think so somehow :bat:

My D40 should have turned up to day and didn't. Apparently an apology is good enough when I specified today for delivery...I don't think so somehow :bat:
Chris you didn't order from eJaffa.com did you ? i cancelled an order twice for the same reason.

No, I won't mention the name of the company as the issue's still open. I made it quite clear though that an apology had best be just the start of this issue being dealt with. I want blood :bat: and money off :D

Congrats on the new D700. I'm sure you will both be very happy together...

Kev.

pah, D700..... now you need to buy longer lenses to compensate for your lack or 1.5x crop factor.

*edit* scratch that, im jealous as foook :LOL:

If you like the viewfinder, the best £20 you can spend on the D700 is a DK-17m viewfinder magnifier - really makes a difference, especially if you like to manual focus.

:agree:

Agreed.

I have the eye cup now too, by the way PD. Very nice combination, can recommend it. Plus it's only a few quid :)

Congrats on the purchase, great camera!

agreed i put on the magnifier after reading about it here

i didnt know i could add a eyecup as well can you tell me the part and where you get it thanks

congrats on d700 its a bit special iso of the scale looks good

I must say the strap, compared with the D300 strap, is a bit gash. The D300 strap is nice and thick and it feels like you could use it to hang terrorists with. The D700 strap is considerably lighter and thinner.

Shot this earlier (again, not looking for awards just yet!) This is at 800ISO. No sharpening, I applied a preset in lightroom to it. I could shoot almost everything in 800 ISO if the results are like that. It seems to be having a very positive affect on the bokeh of my lenses too. Lovely!

20090226162609.jpg

What I did, get the Optec, and then just connect the two small parts for a fist-strap .. less of a fiddle and keeps my camera ready in my hand all the time.

After playing with one at Focus, I'd love a D700 :( enjoy the greatness of FX.

Oooh, congratulations Welly!!

I've a D3 on order, due to ship next week. I'm keeping my D300 though and a second body. I weighed up the pros and cons of the D3 over the D700 and felt that for the price of a a D700 plus, grip, battery, charget, battery cover I'd end up paying not that much less, get a bigger body, and yet miss out on the 100% viewfinder and a few other things. Having said that, I'd love a D700 as a second body, so that my D300 could be my 3rd!! :naughty:

I hear this and the DK-19 is a good combination. Any folks here use this? I wear glasses though so I'm not sure if I should bother :shrug:

I'm glad you're enjoying the D700. I'm rather looking forward to tomorrow, I have one arriving in the post :D

What exactly does the Eyepiece thing do?

Congratulations on your new toy (y)

You will love this body, with the lens you have ;) ... they go together like hand-and-glove. A sexy combination.

The eyepieces refere to give a slight magnification as you look to compose. It helps a lot with manual focusing.

The rubber eyepiece cap, helps to make sure that the whole area around the eyepiece is sealed as you look through. Great to have if you tend to shoot with a lot of funny lights pointing at you (like the sun, etc.).

Oooh, congratulations Welly!!

I've a D3 on order, due to ship next week. I'm keeping my D300 though and a second body. I weighed up the pros and cons of the D3 over the D700 and felt that for the price of a a D700 plus, grip, battery, charget, battery cover I'd end up paying not that much less, get a bigger body, and yet miss out on the 100% viewfinder and a few other things. Having said that, I'd love a D700 as a second body, so that my D300 could be my 3rd!! :naughty:

Congratulations on your toy, too; and a very logical approach.

Actually, one of the things that I love about the D3 but is missing on the D700 is the lack of flash! I believe that's a huge bonus to anyone buying a D3! It gives you better protection against the element and allows for the bigger viewfinder.

I wish they'd make a GT version of the D700 which would be more robust, better CF door, less of these plug-in ports and no flash.

I hear this and the DK-19 is a good combination. Any folks here use this? I wear glasses though so I'm not sure if I should bother :shrug:

I wear glasses too, and use this effectively.

Basically, I have it on almost all the time. It only comes off if I am using the DR-5 angle viewer.

It doesn't get in the way otherwise and is of no effect due to the glasses. However, if the lights / sun is getting to be too annoying, then I adjust the diopter so that I can shoot without glasses and take my glasses off when I am shooting. This makes it so So SO comfortable for me. There is the annoyance of having to take off & put back on my glasses after each shot; but that is easy mitigated against with a neck-strap.

I never even used my D700 strap, get a nice Optech for it :)

:plus1::plus1:

The DK-17M is OK, IMO, but I found that I had to adjust the dioptre from "0" to +1 (or was it -1 :thinking:) to get a sharper image through the viewfinder, whereas the view with the standard one was 100% sharp with no correction. The only tiny gripe that I have is that the ideal setting for me (with the DK-17M) would be +/- 1/2 a dipotre (as I have perfect vision, following recent laser surgery), but this is not possible with the D700 :(. Still, the usefulness of the extended eye cup more than makes up for any slight fuziness ;).

By the way, puddleduck, you neglected to mention this little D700 upgrade (surely the best 10 quid that you can spend on a D700) ...

GGSD700.jpg

Link to random US retailer ...

... or have you gone off these :D?

So, welly, I congratulate you on your (very wise) purchase and hope that you enjoy getting to grips with it (and its 400 page instruction book :D).

Back