New DJI Osmo, handheld camera with gimbal

Thanks for that...looks a nice bit of kit to add to the bag...(y)

These look awesome, gonna pull the trigger and buy one!

Redid the timelapse using the images taken. That way it could be output at 4K

It looks a bit muddy - if you import into Lightroom and work on one image you can apply the same adjustment to them all.
Lightroom is good at outputting timelapses too.
Presumably other ways to do of course..

It looks a bit muddy - if you import into Lightroom and work on one image you can apply the same adjustment to them all.
Lightroom is good at outputting timelapses too.
Presumably other ways to do of course..

FCP user, I followed a YouTube guide because I've never done a timelapse.

So How are the OSMO Owners getting along with their new toy? Still recommended, I have spotted a couple going second hand and wondered if this is gonna be a trend for the early adopters?

So How are the OSMO Owners getting along with their new toy? Still recommended, I have spotted a couple going second hand and wondered if this is gonna be a trend for the early adopters?

I will be using it in anger next month in Madrid. I have just bought an external mic for it too. I'll see what I come back from Spain with!

They're far from perfect.

I used mine in Iceland quite a lot a couple of weeks back and while I'm happy enough with the video I got our of it, I am purely amateur when it comes to this thing, and could see some issues that pro's/semi pro's would find annoying.

The ISO doesn't like to be pushed at all. Try to keep it maximum at 400.

There's a lot of up and down movement (technique dependant) when using it and walking. It's obviously only three axis, but DJI have just released an attachment to help ease the up/down problem - another $130.

colour grading is good, but I really struggled to get it close to my Phantom 3 Professional.

Had quite a few crashes of the DJI Go app, which included shutting down my phone for quite some time. I believe there's sometimes an issue with the iPhone 6S Plus, so have another old iPhone to try in future just for the Oslo/Phantom 3.

It's got better since they updated the firmware in March, however I believe the X5 camera on the Oslo is going to be much better once they make a few changes to the firmware on that.

They're far from perfect.

I used mine in Iceland quite a lot a couple of weeks back and while I'm happy enough with the video I got our of it, I am purely amateur when it comes to this thing, and could see some issues that pro's/semi pro's would find annoying.

The ISO doesn't like to be pushed at all. Try to keep it maximum at 400.

There's a lot of up and down movement (technique dependant) when using it and walking. It's obviously only three axis, but DJI have just released an attachment to help ease the up/down problem - another $130.

colour grading is good, but I really struggled to get it close to my Phantom 3 Professional.

Had quite a few crashes of the DJI Go app, which included shutting down my phone for quite some time. I believe there's sometimes an issue with the iPhone 6S Plus, so have another old iPhone to try in future just for the Oslo/Phantom 3.

It's got better since they updated the firmware in March, however I believe the X5 camera on the Oslo is going to be much better once they make a few changes to the firmware on that.

Interesting report and mirrors much of what I have read on other on line user forums. Still a worthy purchase though by all accounts and as this tech develops I am sure it will be perfected.

Thanks for posting

I'm struggling a bit with mine :) but also struggling a bit with the GoPro4,Tascam DR05 and Turnspro timelapse thingy.. My fault really for buying lots of new stuff altogether and not having time to practice.
So the Osmo. I've used it a bit, but am still prefering photography (with my D5300) over filming. The camera head gets red hot, really quick over here in India and after 40mins of filming or so, I put it away to cool (it doesn't, not in this damned heat) But faffing around with all the attachments is a chore, especially when you can only carry so much (including water)
I'm in Varanasi at the moment, will do a bit of filming later. Might walk the length of the ghats but it requires more than an hour.

Sunrise in an hour... :)

Last edited:
I'm struggling a bit with mine :) but also struggling a bit with the GoPro4,Tascam DR05 and Turnspro timelapse thingy.. My fault really for buying lots of new stuff altogether and not having time to practice.
So the Osmo. I've used it a bit, but am still prefering photography (with my D5300) over filming. It gets red hot, really quick over here in India and after 40mins of filming or so, I put it away to cool (it doesn't, not in this damned heat) But faffing around with all the attachments is a chore, especially when you can only carry so much (including water)
I'm in Varanasi at the moment, will do a bit of filming later. Might walk the length of the ghats but it requires more than an hour.

Sunrise in an hour... :)

The internet is great! chatting over a forum to a person in India about a bit of tech! Thanks for posting James! get some footage uploaded to youtube and lets have the link!!

Cheers! Bill

Hey Bill :)
I'm gonna wait until I get back home (03 May) the internet is a bit shi** over here speed wise, but of course I'll upload my bits once I'm home. The other problem I have is the heat, I can barely walk for 30 minutes without feeling exhausted. It's awful, No worries though, uploads coming in a couple of weeks :)

Hey Bill :)
I'm gonna wait until I get back home (03 May) the internet is a bit shi** over here speed wise, but of course I'll upload my bits once I'm home. The other problem I have is the heat, I can barely walk for 30 minutes without feeling exhausted. It's awful, No worries though, uploads coming in a couple of weeks :)

Late replying to this sorry, look forward to them....

Hi guys.
Quick update from me :) Back home. India in April? Never again, waay to hot.
Been messing with GoPro Studio and have finally compiled a drive lapse, although I'm not really happy with the way the software handled it... Will upload it to You Tube soon.
I'm going to start sieving through my Osmo footage next, not sure how long that will take, but can only work on it at the weekend. I need some software to to that but I'm skint this week.
So anyway, hopefully some Osmo stuff from me soon :)

Hi guys.
Quick update from me :) Back home. India in April? Never again, waay to hot.
Been messing with GoPro Studio and have finally compiled a drive lapse, although I'm not really happy with the way the software handled it... Will upload it to You Tube soon.
I'm going to start sieving through my Osmo footage next, not sure how long that will take, but can only work on it at the weekend. I need some software to to that but I'm skint this week.
So anyway, hopefully some Osmo stuff from me soon :)

You get a one month free trial with EDIUS pro and its should handle the footage natively, have the video on a separate internal drive makes editing smoother - its a great package and easy to get into! Its only free for 30 days though

Hey Bill
Just finished downloading Premier Elements, that was free for 30 days too, I've made a note of the Edius pro8 software though :)

I'm still farting around with that first timelapse... think I need to start another thread to see if anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers

Hey Bill
Just finished downloading Premier Elements, that was free for 30 days too, I've made a note of the Edius pro8 software though :)

I'm still farting around with that first timelapse... think I need to start another thread to see if anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers

Blimey onto Pro 8 already.

Do you have lightroom? if so import ALL the stills into it from the OSMO timelapse sequence and batch process them ALL then import the lost into EDIUS and it will string together on the timeline, render it all out to HD or 4K into one stream then imprt it back in and increase its speed lets say 400% or more and play the timeline, when you get the correct "look" or at least the one you like render it out as a new file and then hey presto it will be a time lapse at what ever frame rate you have given it 30fps or 25fps for youtube or vimeo or whatever other host you use for video!

Opps. My timelapse (Drivelapse) was done on the GoPro not Osmo. I'm fairly happy with it, just wasn't really happy with the stretched look but it's okay now. I uploaded it to You Tube (Jaipur Tuk Tuk Drivelapse If you need a look). I just used the GoProStudio software but I've got Lightroom as part of that Adobe package, so I might give that a go for my other Drivelapses... later though as now I want to concentrate on the Osmo stuff. But there's a lot of crap I want to delete before I even begin piecing bits together. Don't know if I'll end up with one film or several short ones... I might even save some bits and combine them with footage shot from my next India trip in October.

Nice shots, the Pano is great! was that hand held then using its inbuilt function. The video though, good but its lacking some contrast unlike the pano shot? was it on full auto for the video? Your getting the hang of the stable shot though - nice!

Nice shots, the Pano is great! was that hand held then using its inbuilt function. The video though, good but its lacking some contrast unlike the pano shot? was it on full auto for the video? Your getting the hang of the stable shot though - nice!

The Osmo only generates a low res stitched pano which is saved to your mobile device. The 5 jpegs are saved individually in a folder. I just used Elements to stitch them together. Almost all of the video was shot in manual using a set of Renaart filters. The contrast you refer to is (in my opinion) the result of some of the shots being from very overcast days with flat light. The sunnier days produced, unsurprisingly, much more vibrant video. Glad you liked it!

Ricardo - love your footage, very pro looking, well done. You had a good time in Spain?

Hope you have some more Osmo stuff to show us.

Ricardo - love your footage, very pro looking, well done. You had a good time in Spain?

Hope you have some more Osmo stuff to show us.

Glad you liked it. No more stuff for now, but I am off to Alicante for 2 weeks next month, and the Osmo will be going with me.

View: https://youtu.be/FqkAUPODZrY

Here's my first attempt at salvaging some footage from my time in Haridwar (India). I was only there for one full day (criminal I know) so because of time constraints, I decided to stay near to the river to film.
I'm enjoying messing around with Premiere Elements 14, so much better than Nero 15 from what I can remember.
Sorry about the iffy sound :)

Latest update to DJI Go means Osmo can now live broadcast over Facebook.

interesting thread!

I've been looking for something to use this summer for video rather than rely on my stills camera. Probably just about fits my budget, but are there other options worth looking at?

GoPro and Feiyu gimbal perhaps.
The cost will be similar - Gopro can be used for other things too so in some ways a more versatile set up..

View: https://youtu.be/FqkAUPODZrY

Here's my first attempt at salvaging some footage from my time in Haridwar (India). I was only there for one full day (criminal I know) so because of time constraints, I decided to stay near to the river to film.
I'm enjoying messing around with Premiere Elements 14, so much better than Nero 15 from what I can remember.
Sorry about the iffy sound :)

Looks like clean picture and decent colour reproduction for the price. I would like to see a twin SDXC card slot for a safe record to both cards simultaneously.

I can see this format of camera will take over from a traditional camcorder in the future.

GoPro and Feiyu gimbal perhaps.
The cost will be similar - Gopro can be used for other things too so in some ways a more versatile set up..

My Feiyu failed in no time. If you are a Mac user you cannot update the firmware.

I can see this format of camera will take over from a traditional camcorder in the future.

there's a few new ones just around the corner like the Feiyu 'Summon' camera/gimbal and the gimbal by Removu.

I'm looking at a gimbal for my Gopro4 just as a backup for my Osmo. I'm tempted by the EVO gimbal but it's not available in the UK yet, well it is, I'm just not willing to pay stupid shipping costs. Will wait a while me thinks :)

there's a few new ones just around the corner like the Feiyu 'Summon' camera/gimbal and the gimbal by Removu.

I'm looking at a gimbal for my Gopro4 just as a backup for my Osmo. I'm tempted by the EVO gimbal but it's not available in the UK yet, well it is, I'm just not willing to pay stupid shipping costs. Will wait a while me thinks :)

Waiting and watching the market myself, Its all new at the moment and the OSMO is the best at the moment, but I am looking for more, twin SD card slots and simultaneous recording is a must for me Plus I am not keen on the mobile phone control and app driven via wifi control....although I think this is a sign of the times. a Flip out screen with a Sony style Intelligent auto system for that run and gun ability, Like the Sony PJ780 along with FULL gimbal operation would be a winner as long as twin SD card slots or internal memory plus sd card slot....

I invested in the Removu on Indiegogo. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Back