(New) Droplet collisions, with an external flash

Edit My Images
Yes
So I popped down to Jessops today and bought their £70 external flash, and the cable adaptor thingy so you can move it away from the camera. Fab little thing! Got both items for £87.25, which I didn't think was bad at all.

So, got these today, very pleased with the results :) (clickable for larger images)

My fave:

Others:

Looks like you've got that well sorted(y) A couple of minutes with the clone tool would really make them stand out;)

great shots, is this using the same coke bottle\piping setup as before??

I think someone must be very proud of themselves looking at these, stunning shots Ash (y)

Great improvement, been watching your stuff for a while :clap:

Looks like you've got that well sorted(y) A couple of minutes with the clone tool would really make them stand out;)

Thanks! Post production is something I am not so good at... but learning. Are you meaning to take out a couple of those stray droplets that are floating about? :)

great shots, is this using the same coke bottle\piping setup as before??

It is indeed :)

04012010002.jpg

If you can make that out, the dropper valve is attached to a wooden spoon. Yellow folder as the reflector, red water, blue drops, external flash onto reflector :)

your posts have been so inspiring!!! keep them up (and look out for my attempts in the next few weeks!)

what setting do you have flash on??? 1/16th??

Last edited:
I thought the others were really very good! but these are simply excellent :clap:

your posts have been so inspiring!!! keep them up (and look out for my attempts in the next few weeks!)

what setting do you have flash on??? 1/16th??

Haha, thank you! :D Means a lot. And I will be looking out for them indeed! (And stealing ideas no doubt :p )

And yes indeedy. The lowest the Jessops flash go are 1/16, so that's what it's on. Which, I think is about 1/20,000 of a second. Shutter speed was 1/200, but in a darkened room the shutter speed is irrelevant :)

I thought the others were really very good! but these are simply excellent :clap:

Thanks Splog! I'm smiling from ear to ear :D Your praise is much appreciated :)

good stuff, ive recently upgraded from the 450D to a 7D, which gives me 1/250 shutter synced with flash, might be of a bonus.

So far ill be stealing all your ideas!! thanks for posting pics of the setup, really handy to see it!

Keep them coming!!! Enjoying every one of them!!

(also get some on your wall!!! Would look amazing on canvas!!)

Cracking shots Ashmash. You must be well chuffed with these :D

A couple of minutes with the clone tool would really make them stand out;)

Would you mind expanding on which part to clone, presume to clean up each ripple?

good stuff, ive recently upgraded from the 450D to a 7D, which gives me 1/250 shutter synced with flash, might be of a bonus.

So far ill be stealing all your ideas!! thanks for posting pics of the setup, really handy to see it!

Keep them coming!!! Enjoying every one of them!!

(also get some on your wall!!! Would look amazing on canvas!!)

Ahh wicked! Nice one. How much did that set you back?

And, funny thing is, the shutter speed doesn't matter in these sorts of shots. If you're relying on the shutter speed to capture the droplet collisions, you'll get blur in them, as 1/200 and 1/250 is too slow. But, what you do is, have room which is dark enough so that without flash at 1/200 or 1/250 the picture is pitch black. Then, when you have flash on, the image it captures is ONLY that which is occuring for the duration of the flash, which is MUCH quicker, ie about 1/20,000 in this case. Crisper, non blurred images :)

And, no worries at all :)

Yeh... I was thinking of that canvas thing, might be quite cool!

Cracking shots Ashmash. You must be well chuffed with these :D

I am indeed! :D Thank you :) (And call me Ash :p )

They are cracking shots mate, just tried some of these myself tonight and donot think i will bother posting after seeing these.
Well done

set me back enough :) lol got the grip and batteries and the 18-135 from park cameras. Not the cheapest but i go for the service they offer :)

anyway I will hopefully try this out tomorrow (fingers crossed) and will post up some shots over the coming weeks!

They are cracking shots mate, just tried some of these myself tonight and donot think i will bother posting after seeing these.
Well done

Thanks! And awww :LOL: Let's see anyways? :)

set me back enough :) lol got the grip and batteries and the 18-135 from park cameras. Not the cheapest but i go for the service they offer :)

anyway I will hopefully try this out tomorrow (fingers crossed) and will post up some shots over the coming weeks!

Haha... fair enough. :)

And I will look out for them ;)

Mate, you have well and truly nailed these, it's great to see how you've progressed and developed the idea - a big(y) from me.

Carl

Thanks so much Carl! I wouldn't have been able to do it without the tips from people on here and Flickr :) So helpful!

I promise I'll now try to reduce the amount of pictures I am posting :LOL:

Nicely done Ash. That flash is working for you very nicely.

Looking forward to more.

very very good indeed... I like the last one myself!!

I should try some more soon :)

Vi x

Experimenting with some different colours today :) Loving the external flash. Not quite sure why the purple ones are slightly out of focus :thinking: Annoying, but these things happen. As always, clickable for larger pictures:

Simple blob, just chilling out, maxxing, relaxing, shooting some b-ball outside of the school:

This one amused me... can you see the baseball player about to hit the ball?

Very nicely done.

My airline valve arrived today. The syphon tube I have is too wide so will have to get a more narrow tube.

Very nicely done.

My airline valve arrived today. The syphon tube I have is too wide so will have to get a more narrow tube.

Thanks Ian! And woop! :cool:

Ash how do you get this crown at the top of the drop? so amazing!!

Depending on the flow rate of the drips, they can either hit very low down, or higher up, or even hit another droplet that has already detached from the rebound upwards of the first droplet. In that one, another droplet has hit the top of the rebound before it detaches, making the splash :)

Excellent work Ash.........Improved no end from your early efforts, bit of gardening to spruce em up, perfect.

Well done.

Dave ....

Thanks Dave! Yeh, much better than previously :)

And yeh... I need to get handy with GIMP and take out those awful background splodges me thinks.

So... what colour tomorrow night :thinking: :LOL:

again the last one in the second set is stunning stuff!!! you've really got the hang of this Ash!!

Stunning stuff :clap:, I'm going to have to revisit my setup for these as I'm still yet to get a collision! I'll have a read through your threads to check how it's done (y)

just done a simple air set up (small plastic bag in air with small hole in to produce drips!) and its proving tricky for me.

Warning to others, its also alot messier than I originally thought!! 20 mins cleaning the bathroom and er in doors is none the wiser :naughty:

think the air tube and syphoning is my next step (y)

Stunning stuff :clap:, I'm going to have to revisit my setup for these as I'm still yet to get a collision! I'll have a read through your threads to check how it's done (y)

Thanks!

All the info is in this and my last thread (y)

just done a simple air set up (small plastic bag in air with small hole in to produce drips!) and its proving tricky for me.

Warning to others, its also alot messier than I originally thought!! 20 mins cleaning the bathroom and er in doors is none the wiser :naughty:

think the air tube and syphoning is my next step (y)

Thing is with that, I assume you can't alter the flow rate? I am altering it all the time as it changes to much. There is only a certain range you'll get the drops in.

And yes... SO messy. I have a dedicated (and very stained) towel to cover everything, probably can see in my other pics.

Thing is with that, I assume you can't alter the flow rate? I am altering it all the time as it changes to much. There is only a certain range you'll get the drops in.

And yes... SO messy. I have a dedicated (and very stained) towel to cover everything, probably can see in my other pics.

No you cant alter the flow rate, just saw it on you tube. Once it all stops swaying and calms down, its consistant so you can get a good keeper rate :)

am i the only one who nods there head in time with the drop?? lol helps me somehow!! :)

Would you mind expanding on which part to clone, presume to clean up each ripple?

Thanks! Post production is something I am not so good at... but learning. Are you meaning to take out a couple of those stray droplets that are floating about? :)

Five minutes with the clone and healing tools gives this:

Cheers Ash inspired to have another go myself soon. They're great captures(y)

No you cant alter the flow rate, just saw it on you tube. Once it all stops swaying and calms down, its consistant so you can get a good keeper rate

am i the only one who nods there head in time with the drop?? lol helps me somehow!! :)

If you can nod your head in time with the drops, though you may get some very pretty forms indeed, they'll be no collisions! :p

Five minutes with the clone and healing tools gives this:

Cheers Ash inspired to have another go myself soon. They're great captures(y)

That is indeed MUCH better! I will have to have a play with it... :D Thanks! :)

Wow! ... Ash these latest ones really are stunning (y) Clone tool etc is very good, but You need to stop it happening if poss? can you not get the background further away to stop the splashback? ...

Back