New film coming from Ilford?

Ilford did explain this themselves some years ago (on APUG I think). If you look at the film specs, you'll see that the base used for sheet film differs from that used for roll and 35mm. Ilford said that to make PanF in sheet film would require a new film coating line (or whatever); it wasn't simply a matter of reprogramming a film cutter.

Last edited:
To the best of my knolwedge, all film formats get cut from the same huge roll (the technical name I'm not aware of), so it's not as if - to achieve sheet formats - they have to make something different in the first instance. Further, Ilford make sheet formats from their other films, so they essentially have the equipment to form sheets from the master rolls - so it's not like they have to invest in anything to start cutting sheets from never having done so before. You see where I'm coming from?

Not sure this is true, Jonathan. 135 and 120 can come from the same master roll, but 4x5 tends to require a stronger base. It may be that some 4x5 is cut from the master roll, but from Macodirect I see that HP5 (for example) in 4x5 is based on polyester while the 120/135 films are based on acetate.

EDIT: Sorry @StephenM I didn't read far enough and you'd already covered it!

Last edited:
In one of the discussion of this film I read that the only other commonly available ortho film was the late lamented (and soon to be renewed, we hope) Acros 100. I was very surprised, and inclined to dis-believe it.

It may not be very relevant, but it was felt that Film Ferrania P30 was quite orthochromatic, and my experiments (documented elsewhere on here) tended to confirm that. I'm still crossing my fingers fr more P30 stocks...

In one of the discussion of this film I read that the only other commonly available ortho film was the late lamented (and soon to be renewed, we hope) Acros 100. I was very surprised, and inclined to dis-believe it.

It may not be very relevant, but it was felt that Film Ferrania P30 was quite orthochromatic, and my experiments (documented elsewhere on here) tended to confirm that. I'm still crossing my fingers fr more P30 stocks...

Interesting. Some articles describe Acros as 'ortho-panchromatic', by which they mean reduced red sensitivity. The Fuji data sheet recommends total darkness for processing (except brief use of a low power dark green safelight towards the end of development if required), whereas a true ortho film can be developed with a deep red safelight.

Back