New guy. Old guy.

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
No
So I'm new here. Registration demands that I post 3 times before I'm fully vetted. This is 1.

I just retired. Couple weeks ago. Did 25 years as a corporate IT guy.

Before that, I did 10 years as a newspaper photographer. My user name is an homage to the thousands of rolls of Tri-X I burned. But then it all dried up on me. Just couldn't make a living doing that. I was a little bitter when I left. Pretty much turned my back on photography.

But now I'm free. Old, but free. Free to do what I want. Do what I want for free. I don't have to make anything throw off any money. That's not a bad definition of freedom right there.

Photography-wise, things have changed a lot since I've been gone. I've got a million questions. But an SLR still feels good in my hands. Light's still light, glass is glass, and the nuances of reciprocity and composition still apply. So there's a chance I have a million answers too. Time to talk a little photography. Hopefully I can contribute.

There's 1.

So I'm new here. Registration demands that I post 3 times before I'm fully vetted. This is 1.

Before that, I did 10 years as a newspaper photographer. My user name is an homage to the thousands of rolls of Tri-X I burned. But then it all dried up on me. Just couldn't make a living doing that. I was a little bitter when I left. Pretty much turned my back on photography.

But now I'm free. Old, but free. Free to do what I want. Do what I want for free. I don't have to make anything throw off any money. That's not a bad definition of freedom right there.

Photography-wise, things have changed a lot since I've been gone. I've got a million questions. But an SLR still feels good in my hands. Light's still light, glass is glass, and the nuances of reciprocity and composition still apply. So there's a chance I have a million answers too. Time to talk a little photography. Hopefully I can contribute.

There's 1.
Hiya and welcome to the forum.

You first post was a nice enjoyable read. (y)

Glad to hear you're back in the game. I assume from your post, you're getting straight back into film?

There's 1.
There's an active film community here so you should fit in well, doubtless able to help with your contributions too ... welcome :)

Nice introduction Ken, hope you have many more posts and welcome to the forum. Are you going back to film or moving ahead with the times and going digital.

Did 25 years as a corporate IT guy. Before that, I did 10 years as a newspaper photographer.
I followed a similar career path and I've met a couple of others the same. Perhaps photography and darkrooms predisposed us towards bits and bytes.
That's not a bad definition of freedom right there.
Yes.

That's a good first post Ken.

I and I'm sure others will be looking forward to any pictures and stories from your working days and also from your days of freedom. I'm sure you can and will contribute :D

Great intro, welcome on board.

GC

Glad to hear you're back in the game. I assume from your post, you're getting straight back into film?
Nope, not at all.

Twenty years ago I bought my first digital point and shoot camera. It was pretty amazing. Before that, I had to soup the negs, hang them to dry, edit them on a light table, make the prints ... you know the drill. Whole thing took hours.

With this new little digital baby, I just ran a cord from the camera to the computer. And I remember thinking, this is a pain in the ass. They should figure out how to make it wireless.

My first project in retirement is to figure out Photoshop. I've dabbled with it a little bit in the past, but never got comfortable. Now that I'm doing that, I see how powerful it is, how much it can do, and how little of it I need. I can still make a pretty decent (digital) negative. It all starts with that. Always has.

A few things have changed while you were distracted Ken, not least an irritating little invention called the smartphone. But actually, it's all good. Pretty friggin amazin actually (y)

Try Lightroom rather than Photoshop. In fact it's called Photoshop Lightroom, from Adobe, and is designed for photographers (which Photoshop isn't, primarily). It's what most enthusiasts use and you'll feel right at home there - it works pretty much the way we think. It's available as a free 30-day trial.

Welcome to TP Towers Ken, enjoyed reading your first posts and look forward to reading many more.

Back