New here, be kind

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hi, first post here and I'm gonna get straight into asking for a bit of advice.

I bought myself a Nikon D60 a couple of months back and I love it, I'm totally new to photography so I have no idea where to go next. I'm after a second lens and I was thinking about a Nikon 55-200mm, would this be a good buy or should I wait till I've got the cash for something better.

Nice forum BTW

Craig

i take it you have the 18-55 kit lens already right?

Think about what you want to do with your photography but can't right now because you are limited by your kit.

the 55-200 would give you more reach to take tighter pictures of things further away which is great if you want to do that, not so hot if all you find yourself shooting is landscapes at 18mm.

Do you shoot a lot in low light? Would a fast prime be a better option?

There are a few things that you could buy but it kinda depends on what you do and what you want to do

You don't say what lens you got with it but I assume it was the 18-55mm.
I'd probably sell that off and put the money to a good all round lens.
I think the best value all round, all purpose lens you should go for is the 18-200mm VR.
It's a great little lens.
This will perform better that any of the other Nikon **-200mm zooms except the super 70-200mm which is very expensive.

Next depends on your main use but many look for a good value wide angle lens such as the Sigma 10-20mm.

THe 10-20mm and 18-200mm will cover most stuff until you find your way.

Hi, first post here and I'm gonna get straight into asking for a bit of advice.

I bought myself a Nikon D60 a couple of months back and I love it, I'm totally new to photography so I have no idea where to go next. I'm after a second lens and I was thinking about a Nikon 55-200mm, would this be a good buy or should I wait till I've got the cash for something better.

Nice forum BTW

Craig

I'll leave the Nikon folks to advise on specific lenses, but if you can say what subjects are likely to interst you.

BTW - welcome. You'll like this forum. Ther's a wealth of knowledge available to all on here and plenty people willing to help.

Yeah the lens it came with was the 18-55mm. I haven't really found what sort of photography interests me most yet, I like shooting all sorts of pictures. I like macro type shots so advice in that area might be a good starting point for me.

Thanks for the help folks.

best advice is to get shooting, you will soon see if you need something a bit longer than 55. and if you do then the 55-200 is a cheaper start at that range. The 18-200 is a great all rounder if you dont want to go out with multiple lens

If you want to try Macro then the newer 60mm 2.8 AF-S has lens autofocus and is a good macro lens.

you have to buy lens that have an auto focus motor built in to the lens as the D60 body doesn't autofocus.

Once again, get out and practice (as if you need to be told that)

I don't know nikon but you guys really rate the 18-200 over a 18-55 and 55-200 :O I thought superzooms were always carp or is this a brilliant example?

I don't know nikon but you guys really rate the 18-200 over a 18-55 and 55-200 :O I thought superzooms were always carp or is this a brilliant example?

personally I think the 18-200 isn't carp, but given the choice I'd take the 18-55 and 55-200 any day. The 55-200 is a great lens for the money

Hugh

Like I said I'm totally new to this so excuse the following stupid question. The higher the number on a lens means the closer the zoom will get to an object, ie. 55-200 will zoom closer than a 55-105. I know this is an idiot question but I read something earlier that made me think twice.

Thanks again for the help

I'm pretty much decided on the 55-200mm until I get a bit more practice and start focusing on a particular area.

Also, has anyone used buyacamera.co.uk? They seem to have the lens I'm after much cheaper than anywhere else, but you know what they say about things being too good to be true

Like I said I'm totally new to this so excuse the following stupid question. The higher the number on a lens means the closer the zoom will get to an object, ie. 55-200 will zoom closer than a 55-105. I know this is an idiot question but I read something earlier that made me think twice.

Thanks again for the help

I'm pretty much decided on the 55-200mm until I get a bit more practice and start focusing on a particular area.

Hi, welcome,

Yeah the higher the number the longer the zoom, so the 55-105 and 55-200 are the same at the 55mm end but the 200 will allow you the extra reach to get closer to your subject! I have the same kit as you D60 18-55 and 55-200 both great lens, lens come up for sale on here all the time, if your not in a rush keep a eye on the for sale section!

Si

Back