New iMac / Mac Mini Specs

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
All things are pointing to the new iMacs and Minis being released today.

The following specs have been reported on various sites.

Mac mini
- 5x USB
- 1x FireWire 800
- 1x mini DVI
- 1x Display poort
- Nvidia chipset (like the newest MacBook)
- starting at Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
- 1 of 2 GB DDR3 memory (max 4 GB)
- 120 GB hard disk (max 320 GB)

iMac
- one 20" model, three 24" models
- Intel Core 2 Duo (not a quad core): 2.66 Ghz, 2.93 Ghz and 3.06 Ghz
- 1x Display port
- 20" 2 GB DDR3 memory, 24" 4 GB DDR3 memory (max 8 GB)

Don't know about the validity of them, but would have been nice to have quad-core in them ;)

Glad they are upping the max memory for the Mini.

Not a huge uplift (which is good seeing as i have just bought my iMac!) but would like to see if they have done a re design especially on the Mini.

I am always intrigued by Apple's / Mac's looks; would like to see how they make it any sexier :shrug:

UK store is down too, now, so looks to be true.

Still a bit sceptical on the specs though- i thought there would have been more of an upgrade :shrug:

Yo're still within 14 days so you can always change to the new model ;)

He he i don't think i can be bothered to go all the way back to the shop to exchange it, pay a bit more money and re load everything AGAIN!! :D

I'll stick the extra Ram in when it gets here and that will do me.(y)

As for the Mini romour, shame it looks the same and i'm guessing the iMac will look very similar too. I think it's just a spec upgrade which will not blow anyone away.

I've just had an email back from the member of staff who dealt with my last purchase, and she told me that i cannot order anything until the new web-store was up and running with the new models, but she could not confirm the prices.

I will be getting a call from her as soon as the store is open to re-order my iMac :D

I just rang the apple store as I'm looking to buy a Mac asap. They said they had no idea why Mac section was down and would not say if it was because of a new model. However, they said they would be able to offer the current 24" 3.06ghz model + extras at a reduced price once the website is back up.

Hmmm, sounds like they do know something!! I was told that they know nothing until launch! yeah right!!:LOL:

He he i don't think i can be bothered to go all the way back to the shop to exchange it, pay a bit more money and re load everything AGAIN!! :D

I'll stick the extra Ram in when it gets here and that will do me.(y)

As for the Mini romour, shame it looks the same and i'm guessing the iMac will look very similar too. I think it's just a spec upgrade which will not blow anyone away.

Memory was sent out yesterday 1st class recorded, so you should have it today :)

I've just had an email back from the member of staff who dealt with my last purchase, and she told me that i cannot order anything until the new web-store was up and running with the new models, but she could not confirm the prices.

I will be getting a call from her as soon as the store is open to re-order my iMac :D

Woo hoo!! Get that order in!

Am i still getting my ram??? :D

Memory was sent out yesterday 1st class recorded, so you should have it today :)

Sweet thanks. As soon as it's in i'll sort payment for you.

Cheers!!:woot:

Hmmm...doesn't look like the big step forward that was rumoured in terms of spec. :( Might see if there are any deals I can get on the outgoing model...

You are all gits.

That is all :D

:LOL:

Hi Guys, im considering switching from PC to Mac, what benefits will i get from a Mac with the exact same hardware spec as a PC,

both running with 4gb ram, both using core 2 duo 2,8ghz processor, you get the gist

Thanks.

Just remember that Windows PC's work different from Mac's and i would say that for the same spec machine a Mac will run faster and cleaner, less buggy than a windows machine. I have just switched and am still getting used to it but so far i am really glad i switched.

No cosmetic changes :(

No cosmetic changes :(

Thought as much which pleases me as i only got mine last Friday. For all those who have waited a long time i do feel you.

New Mac Pro and new Mac Mini luuuuvvvley !

Who is going to be first to buy a new mac pro?

Mine is fast enough for now but I like the new one :)

The new Mac pro with 2 x Quad core 2.93GHz Xeons costs £4500 !!!!!! Blimey THAT IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!

and its nearly £5000 for 32Gb of ram too

This is one seriously expensive computer...... Think i'll live with my current pro :)

I'm torn between the 2.66GHz 24" imac and the 2.93GHz model. :thinking: I'd appreciate some advice if anyone can tell me if I'm likely to notice any real difference in speed between the two. :shrug: It'll mostly be used for CS4, Lightroom and surfing, so don't think the better graphics card of the 2.93 would be any advantage to me either... :help:

Look at my Apple hints and tips page. There are a pair of tips that relate to this very scenario !!

Look for Tips 51 and 53

a 2.93 is 10% quicker than a 2.66 in raw processor cycles in reality the 2.93 computer is likely to be 4-5% quicker which you are actually unlikely to notice much :)

Look at my Apple hints and tips page. There are a pair of tips that relate to this very scenario !!

Look for Tips 51 and 53

a 2.93 is 10% quicker than a 2.66 in raw processor cycles in reality the 2.93 computer is likely to be 4-5% quicker which you are actually unlikely to notice much :)

Awesome, thank you so much Cowasaki! (y) Off to read your tips thread in more detail now! :D

Also the new HYPER QUICK graphics card the 4870 is available for the previous mac pros :

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB999ZM/A

Which means that a variant 2 mac pro with the latest 4870 graphic card is likely to be not far behind the new ones for SOME stuff especially when it is graphic intensive and makes use of the processing power of the new card.

It is £280 which is not all THAT bad !

Also the ENTRY LEVEL £1900 model is BACK to being a QUAD core instead of eight cores and down to 2.66GHz. Now we do know that Nehalem processors are quicker but are they THAT much quicker! If you upgrade to 2.93GHz it is yet another £400 too so £2300 for a QUAD core 3GHz system. If we then go to EIGHT cores again the 2.26GHz model is £2500 and will be SLOWER than the entry level model for a lot of operations! We would have to jump to the second model which is the EIGHT core 2.66.....

So QUAD core 2.66 is £1900
& EIGHT core 2.66 is £3618 !!!!!!! (ok it comes with 6 gb ram but still !!!!)

You can basically buy TWO QUAD cores for the price of an EIGHT core. The two QUAD cores will have the same amount of ram and processors which means that the value of EVERYTHING ELSE is ZERO.............

I think Apple is either having to artificially lower the price of the entry level machine OR (which is more likely) they are going over the top with the EIGHT core machines.

I doubt most people will be able to tell the difference between the QUAD and EIGHT core models unless they run quite specific software.

Oooo just had an idea if you want an eight core it might be cheaper to buy 2 QUAD cores !!!

Stick the processor, ram, optical drive and HD from one in the other to give you an:

EIGHT core 6Gb, 2x640Gb HD, dual graphics cards and dual optical drive machine for ABOUT the same dosh !!!! (that is if the QUAD core daughter card has the second socket :))

Can anybody tell me if you can just plug a generic graphics card into a mac pro or are the ones for the mac pro different?

Not if you want to run MacOS on it :)

You MIGHT be able to fit a windows card and use drivers from a hackintosh but you would be asking for trouble AND you would loose any screen display until the desktop appeared

Oooo just had an idea if you want an eight core it might be cheaper to buy 2 QUAD cores !!!

Stick the processor, ram, optical drive and HD from one in the other to give you an:

EIGHT core 6Gb, 2x640Gb HD, dual graphics cards and dual optical drive machine for ABOUT the same dosh !!!! (that is if the QUAD core daughter card has the second socket :))

You got to remember that the quad core machines use a different processor (I am assuming) that cannot run in a 2 cpu configuration (even if you could put another CPU into the machine) which would make this kind of hard.

At this point I am thinking of finding somewhere which is clearing out last gen mac pros at a discount as that seems like a better deal (seeing how the new CPUs are not that much faster in photoshop).

Back