New iMac / Mac Mini Specs

The mac mini is not just some starter computer. If apple stuffed it into a box 10 times the size people would accept it as an alternative to the Mac pro. The cost of £500 with 1Gb,120Gb HD, DVD writer, wireless networking, FW800, decent graphics with dual output is not at all unreasonable. If I were being picky I would suggest that £500 inc 2Gb would have been nicer but you get a lot of computer for the money. The computer will quite easily handle CS4 whilst doing something else too.

As a current Apple owner you will also know the way that their computers hold their value in a totally non computer like way!! You could have bought an iMac for £1000 2 years ago and it is still worth £600 now second hand. Try that with a PC !!

I do feel that the pros have got a little expensive based on what you get. The Nehalem processor is allegedly 30% faster for the same clock speed BUT you now get a QUAD processor pro for about the same price as an EIGHT processor one was !!

4 x 2.66 x 1.3 = 13.86
8 x 2.66 = 21.28

21.28/13.86 = 1.53

So on RAW processing power the older one is 50% better for the money.

Obviously the way that OSes work you get much less benefit from the 2nd processor then less from the 3rd etc etc etc unless the process is massively parallel and written that way so in essence the Nehalem model will feel faster in normal running but be slower for things things that can take the parallel processing into account. BUT it is these things that you buy a pro for as even a 1.8GHz Apple intel computer can handle normal everyday stuff without a problem!

All in all the top flight mac pro is better now but who is going to spend £9300 on a EIGHT core Nehalem Xeon workstation with 32Gb of RAM......

My Quad Xeon variant 1 mac pro with X1900 and 6Gb ram is more than quick enough to handle anything I need so I am not going to upgrade. I might stick the faster 8800 graphic card in as the latest super duper one requires a variant 2 or 3 pro and will not go in a variant 1 (although they brought one out specially when they did the 8800 so it is a possibility!).

All in all the top flight mac pro is better now but who is going to spend £9300 on a EIGHT core Nehalem Xeon workstation with 32Gb of RAM......

In the audio world this massive processing power will have a large impact - for example being able to record on 50+ channels running loads of plugins requires enormous amounts of power. On my 2.4Ghz iMac I can manage at most 16 channels will about 2-3 plugins per channel recording at 24/44. In a pro environment you'll need a hell of a lot more processing power...

The mac mini is not just some starter computer. If apple stuffed it into a box 10 times the size people would accept it as an alternative to the Mac pro.
I agree totally. If you had an Apple midi tower for the same money and spec (at least 2Gb Ram though) i would consider that a good price especially when you consider resale value and quality of the machine. I think it's because it's so small that you feel you don't get value for money.

Hmmm... a little underwhelmed by the releases. ok the technology is up to date and as I would expect from apple probably runs smooth as butter...a new mini's been a long time coming, unfortunately the pricing is a bit crazy. I'm glad I got my 8core pro when I did before xmas, the current offerings are really pricey for equivelent power.

Oh and the 8 and 4 cores differ in that they come with different motherboards, if you get a 4 core you can't plonk another core in there at a later date as there's no socket, plus you'd have to source a cooler to fit the mac pro casing and so on...so it's either or when you order up

I agree totally. If you had an Apple midi tower for the same money and spec (at least 2Gb Ram though) i would consider that a good price especially when you consider resale value and quality of the machine. I think it's because it's so small that you feel you don't get value for money.

Well yes, until 3 weeks ago I was running an Apple Mac Mini with 2.5Gb Ram (just changed one of the sodimms from 512Mb to 2Gb!) and stuffed with a 320Gb HD as a server running MacOS X Leopard SERVER.

It makes a really good media centre machine that you can leave switched on all the time and use as a file server too. It only draws 13watts of electricity when idle.

It may be small but it is a decent enough machine. Although I do think that they should include the wired keyboard and mouse with them for the money!

Nice one Gary! My mate has a 24" iMac and when i sat in front of it it looked HUGE! My 20" is fine for me but i bet the 24" will be great for image editing! One of the main reasons for going over to the Mac is the quality of the screen. I have NEVER seen better!

I just purchased a 24 inch 3.06ghz one from the outgoing range £1,163 and £36 for the Ram upgrade

Refurb Store???

If so then :mad: :bat:

Beat me to it.

They put them up every day at around 1am, so will bag me one tonight if i'm still awake ;)

Decided to stay clear of the new range - just too expensive for what you get in my opinion.

if anyones interested i got it here http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/APIMIN16

was going to buy yesterday but it has come down £30 overnight so im happy, of course it might come down even more.

I was a little concerned about the glossy screen so i called into PC world the other night and checked it out, yes it is very reflective so as it was just about shutting time i asked then to dim the bright lights behind me and it was fine, had to squint really hard to see any reflections and as i use my gear in a controlled environment itll be fine for me.

Just need to shift my top of the range Benq 24 incher to make way for it.

Refurb Store???

If so then :mad: :bat:

Beat me to it.

They put them up every day at around 1am, so will bag me one tonight if i'm still awake ;)

Decided to stay clear of the new range - just too expensive for what you get in my opinion.

No, not refurbs, brand new, see link above. and still got over 100 in stock, stock yesterday was over 200 so theyre shifting pretty quick

:LOL: that's a lot better than £1800 just to have a 1TB hard drive and updated graphics card!

I think that just emphasizes the whole price markup on the new iMac's as being excessive which was the point I was tryin to make in my previous post. I know that the Pound is weak against the dollar at the moment, but can you really expect Apple to lower their prices once the pound has levelled out again?...don't hold your breath!!! Apple has always had a high markup on their products, but not to the extent in where consumers outside of the U.S suffer as a direct result and with desktop Apple computer sales at their lowest you'd think they would take that onboard and try and drive their sales in them forward by keep their pricing structure on keel without the sudden £400 increase as seen in the top spec iMac.

Michael.

Back