New Lee Filters holder to debut at The Photography Show?

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Was at a camera club evening recently where we had a talk from a Lee Filters ambassador where he let slip that they would be releasing a new filter holder at The Photography Show and that the only current filter that woudn’t fit it is the polariser!

With a lot of filter companies having more innovative solutions recently, it will be interesting to see which direction Lee have chosen as I’m guessing from the hint we recieved that the polariser will be at the back. As an owner of the Wine Country Camera holder, a lighter, smaller version of that would be ideal for me, what would you like to see Lee do with their new holder?

Lee's solution does maybe a look a little crude compared to more recent offerings but it does work well. CPL easy to adjust because it's right there at the front and is big enough to be able to just grab without much care. And easy enough to take on and off without removing other filters, Though it would be nice if it had some form quick release as all filter threads are fiddly and easy to cross but it seems even worse when you up thread sizes that large. I'll be interested to see what they come up with...

Like you say Danny, I suspect the polariser will be at the rear. Smaller, cheaper and less vignetting so no bad thing.

I suspect companies like Kase bringing out these type of holders has forced their arm.

i'd be over the moon if they found a solution to making 100mm filters work with bulbous front element lenses like the nikon 14-24. I would love to own that lens but i really enjoy using filters and it would be a significant outlay to switch now from their 100mm system to the 150mm one just for one lens

87ae91bb4eaf388f8d3d08a0594f45bb0fca0e29.jpg

"Lee's redesigned filter holder and a new polariser that clips in"

"still the simple fixing onto the lens ring, but with a locking knob that prevents it from falling off"

"It works so well, the locking mechanism is so good you can hold the camera dangling from the holder without it falling off. Try doing that with the old one"

Not my image or my quotes.

"Lee's redesigned filter holder and a new polariser that clips in" - Unsure of the benefit other than less likely to drop polariser trying to mount or remove it.

"still the simple fixing onto the lens ring, but with a locking knob that prevents it from falling off" - I've never had mine falling off so doesn't seem warranted.

"It works so well, the locking mechanism is so good you can hold the camera dangling from the holder without it falling off. Try doing that with the old one" - People doing this should not own cameras but seems like a pointless update.

Looks good but based on the information we have at present it doesn't seem to warrant the upgrade. Sounds like the price for it will be near £100 as well.

"Lee's redesigned filter holder and a new polariser that clips in" - Unsure of the benefit other than less likely to drop polariser trying to mount or remove it.

"still the simple fixing onto the lens ring, but with a locking knob that prevents it from falling off" - I've never had mine falling off so doesn't seem warranted.

"It works so well, the locking mechanism is so good you can hold the camera dangling from the holder without it falling off. Try doing that with the old one" - People doing this should not own cameras but seems like a pointless update.

Looks good but based on the information we have at present it doesn't seem to warrant the upgrade. Sounds like the price for it will be near £100 as well.

I'd be very happy with something quick release that did away with having to thread a polariser on and off. I find all filter threads fiddly but 105mm seems a right pain and it gets even worse in poor weather. Had my polariser more or less jam on me in Finland last year. Couldn't remove it.

I'm also one of unfortunate/clumsy ones who's had a Lee holder come off too. Destroyed a Heliopan CPL in the process. That was an expensive error!

I think whether I change to the new system or not will largely hinge on exactly what the polariser arrangement is and what the cost of that is. I have quite a bit of money tied up in my 105mm polariser and can't imagine a new holder and polariser is going to be cheap!

I'd be very happy with something quick release that did away with having to thread a polariser on and off. I find all filter threads fiddly but 105mm seems a right pain and it gets even worse in poor weather. Had my polariser more or less jam on me in Finland last year. Couldn't remove it.

I'm also one of unfortunate/clumsy ones who's had a Lee holder come off too. Destroyed a Heliopan CPL in the process. That was an expensive error!

I think whether I change to the new system or not will largely hinge on exactly what the polariser arrangement is and what the cost of that is. I have quite a bit of money tied up in my 105mm polariser and can't imagine a new holder and polariser is going to be cheap!

I've never had much of an issue with the 105 CPL even with fat fingers nor have I had issue with the holder itself. Maybe this is why I don't see it as much of an upgrade etc however someone in your position where you've had the misfortune of damaging stuff might see the benefit. If I was buying first time and new I'd certainly go for it. and I might still depending on the confirmed changes but at present it's not for me.

That's actually quite disappointing!

Thanks for the heads up though!

Hmm. I wonder if it is a genuine move or an update to make us update. I like them too.

Last edited:
Lee are no longer kings of the system filter market.

They used to win out on quality, but now there are a number of other bands offering the same or higher quality (eg flare resistant multicoating) at much lower prices.

The Lee holder is fine for basic use, but add a poloriser (that needs independent rotation) or a dark ND filter (that needs a 100% light seal) and other manufacturers are clearly ahead, eg Nisi and Haida (also great value).

Last edited:
They used to win out on quality, but now there are a number of other bands offering the same or higher quality (eg flare resistant multicoating) at much lower prices.

I don't use filters often but it does seem strange, their filters all (with the exception of ProGlass I guess?) have worse colour casts than what's found from Nisi, Haida, Rollei, Kase, Benro etc yet you'll pay a premium for something with Lee stamped on it.

I don't use filters often but it does seem strange, their filters all (with the exception of ProGlass I guess?) have worse colour casts than what's found from Nisi, Haida, Rollei, Kase, Benro etc yet you'll pay a premium for something with Lee stamped on it.

I've only ever had colour cast on the stoppers which is easily fixed by increasing the temperature. I've never had it on anything else I've used.

I just added a bit to my post above re other brands.

I wouldn't criticise Lee on colour though - their grads are the most neutral and consistent batch to batch as any I've tested over the years. Lee Big Stopper and Little Stopper (both dyed glass) are known to have a blue cast that they claim is to deliberately combat IR polution, and it works, but their new ProGlass extreme NDs (evaporated-metal technology) are excellent in (almost) every way - very neutral, accurate on density and with good flare resistant multicoating, but without dirt-resistant outer coating, and costly.

The Lee holder is fine for basic use, but add a poloriser (that needs independent rotation) or a dark ND filter (that needs a 100% light seal) and other manufacturers are clearly ahead, eg Nisi and Haida (also great value).

I've never had a problem with light leak or using a polariser on the Lee system, but I tried the Nisi holder and found it way too fiddly having to use step up rings... obviously personal preference comes into these things.

I think you might like the new holder ;)

I've never had a problem with light leak or using a polariser on the Lee system, but I tried the Nisi holder and found it way too fiddly having to use step up rings... obviously personal preference comes into these things.

As I said, a light-tight seal is only necessary with dark ND filters, not a polariser, and TBH almost all these system filter holders are marginal on that score - you have to be very careful to position the filter exactly and hope that it lies perfectly flat. AFAIK only Formatt Hitech has addressed this issue really thoroughly with caps that seal the whole thing all round.

The tiniest chink of light can ruin results if you're unlucky because the effect is multiplied by the filter factor. Eg a 1x1mm chink effectively becomes a 33x33mm gaping hole with a ten-stops ND in place (1000x filter factor). For the same reason, the viewfinder of a DSLR must also be covered.

As I said, a light-tight seal is only necessary with dark ND filters, not a polariser, and TBH almost all these system filter holders are marginal on that score - you have to be very careful to position the filter exactly and hope that it lies perfectly flat. AFAIK only Formatt Hitech has addressed this issue really thoroughly with caps that seal the whole thing all round.

The tiniest chink of light can ruin results if you're unlucky because the effect is multiplied by the filter factor. Eg a 1x1mm chink effectively becomes a 33x33mm gaping hole with a ten-stops ND in place (1000x filter factor). For the same reason, the viewfinder of a DSLR must also be covered.

You described issues with rotating a polariser and light leak with extreme ND filters... I understand they are two different things (which is why I said 'or') I just haven't experienced the problems you describe. Ok, if you don't cover the viewfinder on bright days you'll get light leak, but covering the viewfinder is part of the process not a deficiency of any holder. On rare occasions I have had strange effects from light bouncing back between filters but have never found it to leak in-between the gasket and holder on any of them I've tried but as you say I wouldn't describe any of them as perfect.

I was more curious what the problem was you've experienced with rotating a polariser?

You described issues with rotating a polariser and light leak with extreme ND filters... I understand they are two different things (which is why I said 'or') I just haven't experienced the problems you describe. Ok, if you don't cover the viewfinder on bright days you'll get light leak, but covering the viewfinder is part of the process not a deficiency of any holder. On rare occasions I have had strange effects from light bouncing back between filters but have never found it to leak in-between the gasket and holder on any of them I've tried but as you say I wouldn't describe any of them as perfect.

I was more curious what the problem was you've experienced with rotating a polariser?

There are two potential problems with filter holders and light leaks in general. The filters are 100x100mm and to allow the use of the widest possible lenses, manufacturers cut the hole as big as possible, leaving just a couple of mms of felt or foam to make the seal. If the filter is not precisely positioned or the holder is not perfectly flat (metal holders are better for this) then tiny chinks of light can get through.

The issue with Lee and polarisers is really one of convenience and cost and if Lee are revising their design they are perhaps admitting that they're now being outclassed by cheaper rivals that have both better light sealing and independent polariser rotation built-in. Another reason might be that if the Lee holder is loaded up with heavy filters plus lens hood and then pointed down, then some users have found that it can pop off the spring-loaded clip under its own weight.

Given how much I have spent on the attachments, I am not convinced that I will buy another one. The only damage I have done to a Lee filter is think I have put my big stopper into an inside pocket only to hear to clatter onto the rocks below as I slid it into the gap between the pocket and the coat. It dinged the corner but otherwise was ok.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9f53XIsAHo

Not sure if this is an improvement or not? o_O
Does the current 105mm fit onto the front on that bracket? Looks like the polariser is still front mounting but with a quick release mechasim. I can understand if they kept the 105mm polariser as it’s an expensive part of the full kit and could be difficult to drop when Lee users have bought into the system already. It’s a bit catch 22, go for something smaller and cheaper to get new users or alienate existing users that have already bought the larger version that was an expensive bit of kit.

Does the current 105mm fit onto the front on that bracket? Looks like the polariser is still front mounting but with a quick release mechasim. I can understand if they kept the 105mm polariser as it’s an expensive part of the full kit and could be difficult to drop when Lee users have bought into the system already. It’s a bit catch 22, go for something smaller and cheaper to get new users or alienate existing users that have already bought the larger version that was an expensive bit of kit.

Rob, the blog on the WEX site reads: LEE has also revealed the LEE100 Polariser. This filter is designed specifically for the new holder – it simply snaps onto its front. An adaptor will also be available for LEE’s existing 105mm Landscape Polariser.

I think if I were starting again and with all the choices now available, I'd not put the Lee system as my first choice.

Last edited:
I'm interested in exactly how the tapered design works to improve grip on the filters. I'm currently using the "old" Lee holder with a mixture of Kase, Nisi and Haida filters.

I've got the Kase rails which fit onto the Lee holder (they grip into the side of the filter instead of the front), and everything worked fine when I put this together at home. When it came to using the set up outside, I couldn't get the filters into the holder. I could only think that the problem was temperature-related. It was low single-figures and the springy part which grips the filter presumably did not have the same amount of give as at room temperatures. I switched to my spare holder which was set up with Lee rails, but then found the Kase grad slipping straight through!

Rob, the blog on the WEX site reads: LEE has also revealed the LEE100 Polariser. This filter is designed specifically for the new holder – it simply snaps onto its front. An adaptor will also be available for LEE’s existing 105mm Landscape Polariser.

I think if I were starting again and with all the choices now available, I'd not put the Lee system as my first choice.
Thanks, it’s good it would still fit. £42 to get it to fit is quite a bit considering the new holder would be £123 on its own. Just seen the price of the new Lee 100 polariser, at £234 that’s quite a bit on top of the current 105mm landscape polariser even with the new adapter.

I think you are right if starting again there are a range of choices available. I like the idea of a clip on and off front polariser. Less needing to screw parts on and off could be a good thing.

There is an adaptor available so you can use the old 105mm polarisers with the new clip in system... I've been using the new system for a few weeks and it is much easier to take the polariser on and off and rotate it.

Last edited:
There is an adaptor available so you can use the old 105mm polarisers with the new clip in system... I've been using the new system for a few weeks and it is much easier to take the polariser on and off and rotate it.
Screwing polarisers on and off is probably when they are likely to be accidentally dropped.

I quite like the new design, being able to slide off the whole holder or just the polariser off is a good move. It should make things easier than screwing on and off. Being able to lock the holder position is good too. I’m guessing it still takes the current lens adapter rings. It’s a good move the existing 105mm polariser fits. The only negative is the price, £125 for holder and 105mm polariser adapter seems quite a bit.

I've owned a Lee 100 filter system for years now. Their supported photo dealers say they're always out of stock and general back up is slow and clumsy.

Not good in this age...

The only negative is the price, £125 for holder and 105mm polariser adapter seems quite a bit.

As you say, maybe it works especially well but anyone comparing them will wonder what justifies paying so much for the Lee holder and adapters when the competition is around the same price or cheaper but includes a polariser.

As you say, maybe it works especially well but anyone comparing them will wonder what justifies paying so much for the Lee holder and adapters when the competition is around the same price or cheaper but includes a polariser.
I think you are right that new users won’t be as tempted. For existing users it’s good the 105mm polariser still fits and the current adapter rings too. I guess they are trying to keep existing users happy and not alienating them in favour of new users. That seems a difficult line to walk.

Thanks, it’s good it would still fit. £42 to get it to fit is quite a bit considering the new holder would be £123 on its own. Just seen the price of the new Lee 100 polariser, at £234 that’s quite a bit on top of the current 105mm landscape polariser even with the new adapter.

I think you are right if starting again there are a range of choices available. I like the idea of a clip on and off front polariser. Less needing to screw parts on and off could be a good thing.

Its £84 on wex for the Lee100 holder and £80 on amazon.

Regards...

Yes, but Rob_Nikon quoted £123 for the holder on its own.

Regards...
Sorry got the math wrong in that post! £123 was meant to be for the holder and adapter combined. I was closer on the previous post Looking at WEX it would be £126 (£84 + £42).

I looked at photography show today, the best prices I could find was £79 for holder £40 for the adapter so £119 combined. I can understand there not being massive discounts at its just been released.

Went to TPS today and it was a lot busier than I was expecting (never been on a Monday before), had a quick peek at the Lee stand but didn't stay long as I'd gotten a headache and their stand was unusually bright. I did see that Nisi have put out the V6 filter holder though:

IMG_20190318_135118.jpg

Their stand seemed to be busy the entire day so from what I saw and overheard it's only a minor update, new case, bundled cap as part of the package and the filter holder now has a locking knob but it comes in at the same price as the old version.

Picked up the new 100 holder and the polariser adapter at the show today £110 with Srs......absolutely no way my landscape polariser will screw into the adapter and that’s the specific one it’s designed for....hoping it’s just a faulty one....other than that the quick fit idea looks a good one and nice circular case for the holder and polariser with it. The filter holder has a 3 stop locking function but found the one where the holder is locked to the adapter ring but should still turn quite stiff to the point where I unscrewed the adapter ring from the lens....tried this on two different adapter rings....not too bothered about this as I would probably unlock adjust and re lock if necessary. All in all nicely presented and some advantages over the old one especially if you use a polariser but that’s provided I can get it all functioning....thinking the polariser adapter will need to be replaced.....

Back