New Lens advice please

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys.

I own a Canon 450D Rebel xsi with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses.

I am thinking of upgrading from my stock lens to a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM lens. It is in my price range at the moment and I was wondering if anybody out there uses the same lens? Does it work well with the older Canons?

Does anyone have any advice or opinions of the lens? Is it is a good replacement for all round general photography? I am interested in Landscape, night shooting and general family stuff

I am thinking of purchasing it from Cameras Etc on the net, who are based in Twickenham. Anybody used this company before?

This is my first post so please be gentle! Lol.

I'm familiar neither with Canon nor that Sigma lens but would suggest it's not a great upgrade from what you have. The Tamron 17-50 2.8 would be a logical upgrade for you.

For landscapes, a 10-20mm is good, but not essential.

I have that lens and love it. It's seriously well built, very solid indeed so possibly heavier than you might expect, and covers a very useful range (on a crop 7D). IS is very good and the focus is fast, accurate and quiet. It needed some MA due to a bit of front focus but nothing that would cause a riot. I'm extremely happy with it!

Hi Russ and Welcome :)

The sigma 17-70 and the Tamron 17-50 are the 2 lenses that are highly rated on here, especially when comparing to the Canon 17-55IS (which is considerably more money).

If you search through the threads on here with the search function, you'll find lots of very useful posts about it.

It appears the NON VC version of the Tamron is the preferred one to get (and it's cheaper too).

Hope this is of use and hope you find lots of useful hints / tips / help on here ...

I had the sigma on my 450d when I was with canon.

Fantastic combination, and highly recommended for good reason.

Sigma 24-70 F 2.8 is a very good lens to upgrade. It is equal to the canon version but much cheaper.
You can also consider Canon 17-40 f4 L

Hi Russ and Welcome :)

The sigma 17-70 and the Tamron 17-50 are the 2 lenses that are highly rated on here, especially when comparing to the Canon 17-55IS (which is considerably more money).

If you search through the threads on here with the search function, you'll find lots of very useful posts about it.

It appears the NON VC version of the Tamron is the preferred one to get (and it's cheaper too).

Hope this is of use and hope you find lots of useful hints / tips / help on here ...

Ive had both lens, the 17-70 just wasnt right for me as I shoot alot of indoor low light stuff but colours, range of focal lenth and sharpness where great. I now have a 17-50 f2.8 and its razor sharp. :)

I don't have the sigma 17-70 but i have the sigma 17-50 and they are very similar. they are both well built, excellent value for money and pin sharp. In fact my copy is as sharp as the EF-S 60mm macro at a focal ranges.

Thanks for all your input people. I am now the proud owner of a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 OS HSM. I must say, I bought it second hand from someone who looks after his equipment properly. It might as well have been brand new! Really pleased with initial pics.

Back