New Lens for 400D

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, having used my camera recently ona day out, I have not been very happy with the results. I did some comparisons with my cousin over the weekend and read up on how happy people have been with the 400D, we concluded that the weaknesses is the lens (EF-S 18-55mm) that came with the camera.

So, I am now looking for a replacement. I need a zoom that is capable of wide angle shots and go over 55mm. Don't mind something that is not Canon but I was told that Tamrons can be a lot slower to focus etc..?

Budget is up to £300, anyone give me some pointers??

Thanks.

Worth having a look at the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5. It's well within your budget and you'd struggle to find a bad review :)

How about the EF 28-135? Good range, has IS and is pretty well built. I used to have one, great value for money.

Costs about £200.

I would quite happily recommend the Sigma 17-70 as mentioned above, purchased one a few week's ago to replace my kit lens and it's been superb.

sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or tamron if you want a fixed fast aperture.

Got the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 the other day with my 40D. Went with it over the Sigma because of the extra mm at the wide end and it has (marginally) better reviews. I love the lens. It's quick to focus in decent light and in low light hunts slightly, but generally not very badly at all. Images are clear, good colour, etc. A lot of reviews cited its noisy AF, but again not as bad as I'd feared! All in all, I'd very strongly recommend it!

Well, I'm going to go against the grain and maybe get my head shot off, but what the hell :LOL:
How about keep the kit lens and learn it's sweet spot, (it can actually produce some not bad shots) and maybe get something like the canon EF-S 55-250 IS as your zoom.

Ok, take aim, fire.

:runaway: :exit:

Tara

P.S don't take my word for it go here and have a looksey!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522

OK, having used my camera recently ona day out, I have not been very happy with the results. I did some comparisons with my cousin over the weekend and read up on how happy people have been with the 400D, we concluded that the weaknesses is the lens (EF-S 18-55mm) that came with the camera.

So, I am now looking for a replacement. I need a zoom that is capable of wide angle shots and go over 55mm. Don't mind something that is not Canon but I was told that Tamrons can be a lot slower to focus etc..?

Budget is up to £300, anyone give me some pointers??

Thanks.

What were you not happy about? Is this the first time you've been unhappy with the results? Although the EF-S 18-55 kit lens is not exactly the dogs danglies, is not that bad used properly as many will testify. As Turbotoes has said, find it's sweet spot (f/5.6?) and you may just be surprised at the results providing you get everything else just right. It's always too easy to blame the lens, then you spend a fortune and your pics still suck - I've been there.

What were you not happy about? Is this the first time you've been unhappy with the results? Although the EF-S 18-55 kit lens is not exactly the dogs danglies, is not that bad used properly as many will testify. As Turbotoes has said, find it's sweet spot (f/5.6?) and you may just be surprised at the results providing you get everything else just right. It's always too easy to blame the lens, then you spend a fortune and your pics still suck - I've been there.

Just the general lack of sharpness from the photos. I have taken shots using a tripod (just to rule out handshake) and it is not that much better. I am sure there is a sweet spot but I am very much point and shoot, especially when trying to get shots of my 2 year old. So, I hope to get something that is better straight off.

I take your point, it is good to be able to use a very standard lens to improve skill and technique.

How is this lens??
This lens

Interested in the Sigma, I am off to Hong Kong very soon, I need to make a decision to get a good deal ;)

hi kam, the 17-85 isnt a bad lens, but it isnt particularily good in low light. old git did a review in the reviews section on here comparing it to a couple of other lenses.(it is the std kit lens with the 40d).
for the price i dont think you will find a better replacement than the sigma for your kit lens, from what i have heard, and the lower f stop will help in low light situations when you cant use flash(or dont want to). when moeny or need arises i will consider it, but personally found for taking pics of the kids i wanted a longer reach so went for a sigma 50-150(bout £460 from warehouse express).

It might be worth considering a nifty fifty if indoor handheld shots are on the cards - you need to get back from the object/person but the results are excellent and will give you an idea of how fast and what length(s) you need most.

I am quite sold on the Sigma after the comment on here and reading some reviews :)

What is a nifty-fifty?? A fixed 50mm lens?

yes kam, most common is the 50mm 1.8, a cheap lens with very good Image quality, and excellent low light capabilities. the feel of the lens supposedly isnt that great, but the IQ more than makes up for it, and at £60 you wont find anything near it

yes kam, most common is the 50mm 1.8, a cheap lens with very good Image quality, and excellent low light capabilities. the feel of the lens supposedly isnt that great, but the IQ more than makes up for it, and at £60 you wont find anything near it

Already did some reading up online - sounds like a real bargain for the price :)

17-70 Sigma fo' sho'.

And a nifty fifty for low light portrait shenanigans....

Cheers,
James

Back