New Lens

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Really new, got hold of a Sirius 28-200 M42 lens, still in original packing.

Been trying it on a Spotmatic II that cost a whole £14 a week or so ago :)

Looked up the lens and it had mixed reviews, wonder if anybody has owned one?

It seems that if I got a good one, it will be OK, but some were not so good.

I wouldn't expect too much from a 7:1 zoom of that age, though it would be very useful if it is OK

Would be nice to hear of any experiences with one.

Not much help but IIRC I had a one type of Sirius lens stuck on a camera I bought and threw it away after testing (well I'm fuzzy about sharpness probably because of years using cheap cameras in the old days o_O )...anyway you are right in everything you say and found with other old/newer large zoom range lenses it wont be "very?" sharp at every magnification, but it could have a sweet spot that could be more useful and if lucky could be the magnification you are more interested in e.g. 28mm.
Anyway it can take pictures so enjoy it (y)

Sirius was a Korean brand that I first came across in the 1970s.

The general view seems to be that they suffered from poor quality control, If you got a good one, it would be fine for a 10x8 print from a 35mm negative. The problem was, in my own experience, finding a good one. I had a 135mm on a Nikon mount for a while, which I bought for next to nothing during a camera shop's second hand sale and it was OK. A few years later I bought a 28mm and it might have made a good bottle top. :(

I wonder if it's a rebadged vivitar? I bought a new one in the mid 80s, and by the standards of the time it wasn't impressive on my Pentax P30. I also have a slightly more recent Sirius 28-70 that I don't feel able to sell on eBay because of the optical quality.

I wonder if it's a rebadged vivitar?
Vivitar (originally Ponder and Best) didn't make lenses, they bought them in from manufacturing companies, either "as is" or made to Ponder and Best's requirements. Given their high standards, I doubt they'd have touched Sirius, at least while the founders were still in charge.

Vivitar (originally Ponder and Best) didn't make lenses, they bought them in from manufacturing companies, either "as is" or made to Ponder and Best's requirements. Given their high standards, I doubt they'd have touched Sirius, at least while the founders were still in charge.

By the time the 28-200 came out I believe they were just another rebadge job, the days of Series 1 being over.

Back