New little owl thread (with a bit of info)

I love everything about them except the base Dennis. I know its a small point, but it makes a 10 out of 10 an 8 out of 10 for me.
I have had NatureNev (Neil) up helping me with the new hides the last few days and was out for a few pints with him last night and we discussed your work ;) I didnt realise you two had been communicating. Small world. He is a top fella like yourself Den ;)

Hi, Alan ,yes I know Neil and its great to exchange details with him,as for the base its a difficult one,what do you use etc,Austins shots are mainly taken on the road ,not all of them I am sure but I know a lot were taken from behind is landrover,i did try the Moss covered base but the owls feet were lost in their ,I have racked my brains on what to use ,any ideas would be appreciated or if anyone else is looking and reading please feel free to offer any ideas,i also see it as a case of trying to be original as possible .

I had the same problem at the end of my reflection pool Dennis with the feet getting lost. I had a look around and you can find some mosses that arent as deep and bouncy as others. They are not as easy to harvest, but if you are careful you can get some large patches. I found the best places to find this kind of moss was on dry stone dykes or the base of trees on the bark. It is only about 5mm deep.

A walking shot from last night
28th little owl by den9112, on Flickr
Your best to date Den.(y)

How about trying a sheet of old ply or an old scafold plank. If you can set it up with a slight bend in the middle it will form a small hump which the bird can walk across towards you. Should give you a lower point of view at one end and if set up right the other end should be lost with the DOF.

If it the Austin bird on road look you was after try some roofing felt with small stones/dust from the quarry.

Tried calling you Dennis, I have an idea you might find interesting. Ill bell you later mate.

Your best to date Den.(y)

How about trying a sheet of old ply or an old scafold plank. If you can set it up with a slight bend in the middle it will form a small hump which the bird can walk across towards you. Should give you a lower point of view at one end and if set up right the other end should be lost with the DOF.

If it the Austin bird on road look you was after try some roofing felt with small stones/dust from the quarry.

That could be worth a try,as for the Austin look its not what a want as he had no option at the time but to go for that shot,input and suggstions are appreciated and I quite like the idea of the bend .

Superb shots Den - how about a small yorkstone [or local sandstone] slab - ideally with a raised bit in the centre for the walkway?

HI, thanks for the input,i was actually thinking of something like that and it could possibly work, if I can pick some up cheap enough.

I do like the one with the title ... your favourite of the night ... cracking shot Dennis (y)

A very dull night tonight, pity as they came in just after i got in the quarry ,about 5,15pm any other night this week that would have been perfect ,this shot was taken with a 300mm f4 as i was looking for some flight shots but it just wasn't happening
Little owl August 30th by den9112, on Flickr

I don't know what effect you are trying to get underfoot as it were Den but if you are after a hard surface and don't want a road effect how about some of the very small gravel that gardeners use scattered on the wood. You can get tiny random coloured stuff that is to not too expensive. Owls feet won't sink in. Only problem I see is the morons who have been around throwing it away.

Having just read this thread from the beginning this evening (hoping to see one or two pictures of these amazing little birds) - I'd like to say thank you Den! I know it's just a few words on a screen from a random forum user, who has not posted often, but I am amazed at the time, effort and skill involved in collecting these images... allowing someone like me, who will likely never be able to dedicate myself to such a project, a chance to see the character and detail of these birds! I extend that thanks to all those who take the time to upload and show their photos of all the wonderful wildlife we have around us!

Back