New Macbook Pro quad core monsters & Lion

£2k on a laptop?

Seriously?

:LOL:

Money>sense

Alternatively £1200 as a business capital outlay. Keep for 2 years and sell off for £800.

Try configuring it with the highest spec !!

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
512GB Solid State Drive

Comes out at £3379

You can make it even higher adding software and peripherals :help:

I quite like the idea of airdrop, having 2 machines side by side editing away from shows, it'll be handy to move images round in the background without messing with usb sticks as the machines aren't networked.

I quite like the idea of airdrop, having 2 machines side by side editing away from shows, it'll be handy to move images round in the background without messing with usb sticks as the machines aren't networked.

This is part of "Apple Remote" and has been for years. You can open the desktop of another computer and just drag and drop files between them at will :)

I hope there are some nice new features that they haven't told us about yet!

Reading the blurb on airdrop, it's done from finder now, sounds nice and easy :D

I have had a play with the new MacBook Pros tonight at work, they are one hell of a machine.

Oh and check out the new seriously quick 10Gb Thunderbolt port ...... FAST :)

Intel claims that future versions of Thunderbolt will be able to reach 100 Gb/sec.

Apple are expected over time to drop USB and Firewire with machines only having Thunderbolt, and adaptors to connect to older devices.

Intel claims that future versions of Thunderbolt will be able to reach 100 Gb/sec.

Apple are expected over time to drop USB and Firewire with machines only having Thunderbolt, and adaptors to connect to older devices.

Apple have patented a new mag safe connector with an optical fibre in the centre. The psu will then have an additional network connector, usb, fw etc on in so you can leave everything connected to that and just connect the laptop with one connector.

Apple have patented a new mag safe connector with an optical fibre in the centre. The psu will then have an additional network connector, usb, fw etc on in so you can leave everything connected to that and just connect the laptop with one connector.

hmm, fibre isnt very durable at the best of times where you just plug it in and left alone most of the tiome..

Last edited:
hmm, fibre isnt very durable at the best of times where you just plug it in and left alone most of the tiome..

This new interface works on fibre and copper. At the current speed copper is enough and it can carry power too so I would guess that that innovation might come later and they might well do it with copper first :)

I want one!! I just have to wait for my shares to be paid :(

My 6 month old PC has really annoyed me this week, so I've had enough :LOL:

Hmm I'm tempted to get one of these, I've got a 2010 15" model. As I'm a student I may wait till the back to school offer is on again in September where you get a discounted price on an iPod touch, better value for money in the long run!

Well Lacie are already doing a thunderbolt drive with dual SSDs tranferring 750Mb per second! The overhead on Thunderbolt is very small so it can actually transfer that much unlike USB3 which theoretically can do but in reality is nowhere near as fast as is it reported.

Oh and it doesn't have a power lead unless you connect via a traditional method...

Last edited:
Spoken to Apple and it's £1784 for the 17" model for a student ;) Oh and £60 for Applecare!

Last edited:
edited: as per marcels PM ..

Last edited:
Cant believe this only bought my i5 model in January :( now theres updated models and I've been shafted lol

Cant believe this only bought my i5 model in January :( now theres updated models and I've been shafted lol

Your computer still functions fully doesn't it? If you wait for things to be upgraded you will never buy anything! ;)

Have you heard about this Darren. You might be better to wait and see if Apple cures it before laying down that wonga.

Does anyone know if Lion is going to ditch rosetta support for older programs?

Its ok i'm getting the 17" model :)

Cool, let us know what the performance hike is like in real world as I am contemplating changing my C2D 2.93 or put the money towards building a hackintosh.

Yeah I saw that as well, think I will wait and ponder before making my mind up.

Arsington....I have quite a few things I run under that.....will have to hold onto my old powerbook g4 then or find an emulator.

I will add another tip to my top tips thread showing how to retro install rosetta if it is still possible. I will also include other tips about the differences. Networking with Windows should be easier too.

still possible? AFAIK rosetta runs natively in Snow Puss?

still possible? AFAIK rosetta runs natively in Snow Puss?

Rosetta is an option in snow leopard which you can chose to install or not. It installs by default. Unless Apple have specifically BLOCKED it's use it might be possible to retro fit it.

Anyone unsure if they need rosetta or not then just run APPLICATIONS :: UTILITIES :: ACTIVITY MONITOR and look in the KIND column which will show "Intel (64 bit)", "Intel" or "PowerPC" - Everything I am running runs natively under Intel at the moment.

Back