New Monitor settings ?

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for some advice please.
I have just upgraded my old hp 23" monitor for a 27" Dell P2719H as below link. Its great for working with photoshop and video editing. However i have noticed traveling through the web, facebook etc a lot of the images are becoming pixalated.
I suspect this is due to the low dpi on images loaded, but maybe one of you have a different view.
My current view set up is ; Via VGA, dpi setting at 125 with box ticked "Use windows xp style dpi scalling", Resolution 1920 x 1080
I intend to upgrade another computer solely for video and photography editing, but running through an hdmi to same screen..

Any imput greatly appreciated.... Dell 27in

I cannot say with any personal experience but what you say makes me wonder:-

As you are using the VGA port i.e. your PC does not have HDMI or Display Port that your graphics card or onboard graphics does not natively support the screens full 1920 x 1080 resolution. Knowing exactly what the PC and or Graphics Card might throw some light on that. Thus, the settings you have put in have in effect created a 'zoomed in' image handling and that is why for some web pages look pixellated :(

I would surmise that a PC with a recent Graphics Card that has HDMI and/or Display Port will handle the 1920 x 1080 AOK at its native resolution :)

Oh, and AFAIK 1920 x 1080 on a 27 inch screen a small amount spread over a large area.....as many 27 inch screens are 2560 x 1440

Edit
I found this reference to scaling you describe https://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race/2 not a good way to make things "look right" IMO :(

Last edited:
Thanks BB, Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Everything you have suggested makes sense. I am in the process of having my second PC ugraded for suggested usage as above. When thats upgraded i feel i will need to upgrade this one also. Upgrades are far over due. Also thanks for the link, i can see more clearly now...
Regards. Tony

Last edited:
You are welcome :)

Looking the GPU card up it has a DVI port.............your new monitor has HDMI, VGA and DP...............so......................I wonder for budget money (have not used this myself)....................get a DVI to HDMI cable. That AFAIK should mean that you that you should get the full native screen resolution of 1920 x 1080

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...27&hvtargid=pla-299812931425&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 not a fortune ;)

PS There are also DVI to DP cables ;)

PPS I have dug up that the 8400GS has these specs in regard to resolution
  • Max Analog: 2048x1536
  • Max Digital: 1920x1200

So, it does look like it should be able to handle the resolution via analogue VGA connection.............so maybe a driver question i.e. the settings with the current driver don't show (allow for?) the 1920 x 1080 resolution??? Therefore, puzzled as to why you have needed to "zoom in"!

Last edited:
Thanks BB, It apprears that the VGA won't support the 1080, but a quick visit to local computer shop, picked up a DVI to HDMI socket, ran a hdmi cable through to monitor and all is running as it should at 1920 x 1080,
Thank you kindly for all the advise.

Thanks BB, It apprears that the VGA won't support the 1080, but a quick visit to local computer shop, picked up a DVI to HDMI socket, ran a hdmi cable through to monitor and all is running as it should at 1920 x 1080,
Thank you kindly for all the advise.

Great, thanks for giving the feedback :clap: always nice when folk reply one way or another!

PS I have always gotten & found good advice and insights here at TP, so try to keep the karma going by helping where & when I am able to :)

Yes, somtimes we just need to have that little bit of advice to push us in the right direction. TP is always a good place to start. in this case it became more obvious / understanding to me from your help.
Kindest regards.

Back