New nas -. Swapping drives from old to new?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a new nas coming and want to transfer my 2 existing hard drives (in mirror format) over to the new nas. Is it just a case of physically moving them over to the new nas...?
Also, I want to install a new ssd drive to another bay to run Roon - does it matter when I do that?
Thanks for any help!

I doubt very much if the drives will just go over unless there is some sort of import mode.
is the new nas the same make as the old one, I would check with the provider on any import process.

I doubt very much if the drives will just go over unless there is some sort of import mode.
is the new nas the same make as the old one, I would check with the provider on any import process.
Hmm. Life is never simple... Both are the same make (Qnap).
Thanks for your reply Mr B.

Unless it the same box, with the same firmware, then possibly no, that said QNAP have a migration ability, would I trust it? Not sure https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/know...-how-do-i-move-my-data-over-from-the-old-one/

How old is the old box and drives? Personally I would buy two new drives and leave your old box as an archive, The problem with nas is the drives run almost identical in terms of lifespan, so if one fails another isn’t usually far behind, the rebuild of the nas after a failed drive also puts strain on the drives that are left. It’s not if your drives will fail, it’s when. Whatever you do you need a backup before you do it..

Last edited:
You have a better chance if they're the same make but it will probably depend on whether the processors are the same make. I've read of people moving four-drive RAID5 arrays between Asustor NASs but Asustor only uses Intel CPUs. QNAP uses a wide variety of CPUs so the firmware loaded onto the drives is unlikely to be compatible between CPU vendors.

Your best approach may be to put the SSD in the first bay and fire up the NAS without the RAID1 pair then insert the pair once everything else is configured.

FWIW, I use a Synology NAS with 2x 3TB drives, backed up to another 3TB drive to mitigate against failure of the NAS itself.

I've had to replace the NAS once, albeit under warranty for an identical model, and simply moved the drives. Went without a hitch.

Unless it the same box, with the same firmware, then possibly no, that said QNAP have a migration ability, would I trust it? Not sure https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/know...-how-do-i-move-my-data-over-from-the-old-one/

How old is the old box and drives? Personally I would buy two new drives and leave your old box as an archive, The problem with nas is the drives run almost identical in terms of lifespan, so if one fails another isn’t usually far behind, the rebuild of the nas after a failed drive also puts strain on the drives that are left. It’s not if your drives will fail, it’s when. Whatever you do you need a backup before you do it..
You have a better chance if they're the same make but it will probably depend on whether the processors are the same make. I've read of people moving four-drive RAID5 arrays between Asustor NASs but Asustor only uses Intel CPUs. QNAP uses a wide variety of CPUs so the firmware loaded onto the drives is unlikely to be compatible between CPU vendors.

Your best approach may be to put the SSD in the first bay and fire up the NAS without the RAID1 pair then insert the pair once everything else is configured.
Thank you both too.
My old Qnap ts 410 nas is about 9 years old, my2 wd red drives are only about a year old and I do have all the data on my pc as well as another copy on a remote hdd.
However I do understand about failure - maybe I should get a new drive, copy everything over from old nas to new Qnap ts 451 nas with new drive, then fit one of the old drives into the new nas and set up the mirror. Does that make sense?
The (new) ssd is purely to run Roon. What would be the reason for setting that up first other then to test the nas is working properly?
Again, many thanks for your help!

It would mean that the NAS would load its firmware onto the SSD (it makes a small hidden partition for this) and not look for it on the RAID pair. It's then only looking for data on the RAID pair and there's a good chance that the format will be the same as on the earlier model.

If you're going to use one new drive then I suggest moving one of the original drives to the new NAS plus the new drive and let the NAS synchronise them. You've then still got one of the originals if anything goes wrong.

It would mean that the NAS would load its firmware onto the SSD (it makes a small hidden partition for this) and not look for it on the RAID pair. It's then only looking for data on the RAID pair and there's a good chance that the format will be the same as on the earlier model.

If you're going to use one new drive then I suggest moving one of the original drives to the new NAS plus the new drive and let the NAS synchronise them. You've then still got one of the originals if anything goes wrong.
I see, that makes sense to me. Thank you !

One further question if I may....
I now have my new nas all set up and running with one 6gb HDD in it.
If I now install one of the old(er) drives from the other nas can I then just set up a raid1 to mirror all the data on disk 2 to disk one or will it format the disk ?
I am fairly sure that's what Jonathan aka Snapsh0t was saying 2 post's up, but I'm at the paranoia stage now...

I've not used the SSD yet by the way..

No, what I wrote only applied if you'd used the SSD as the 'boot drive' then added one of the old drives before the new one. Your safest route now is to copy your data across the LAN from old NAS to new then move one of the drives across and it won't matter if it gets formatted.

QNAP have lots of pages of help regarding this, creating a mirror from a drive with data a new one is possible, however the safest route is a fresh install and the. Simply copy the data across once you are happy with the new setup.

No, what I wrote only applied if you'd used the SSD as the 'boot drive' then added one of the old drives before the new one. Your safest route now is to copy your data across the LAN from old NAS to new then move one of the drives across and it won't matter if it gets formatted.
Thank you so much. People like me get so worried about stuff like this. People like you are like saints. I really appreciate your help.

QNAP have lots of pages of help regarding this, creating a mirror from a drive with data a new one is possible, however the safest route is a fresh install and the. Simply copy the data across once you are happy with the new setup.
The same applies to you too. Thank you so much.

One thing to watch for with a 'Mirrored NAS' is if a file disappears from one drive it will also disappear from the mirrored drive. It's just happened to me on my WD MyCloud, around 500GB worth. Luckily I have it backed up to cloud storage. Also be aware that not all Cloud backup software will backup a NAS.

Back