New Netbook !

could i get a copy of that pm chilly as well. tried to put a simple program on and it not working(y)

<Removed>

No selling outside the classifieds forum. Thanks

I ordered myself a Samsung nc10 lastnight, ill let you know how it goes when it arrives :D

Now, that's the one I'd fancy, but I do wonder how much of an improvement over my aging JVC Mininote I'd see. The extra hard drive space would be nice though.

If anyone in Glasgow is looking for the Acer, the branch I bought mine from had 4 left in stock when I was there at around 5pm...

Went looking for one today, first store was sold out, second one (Auchinairn) had it on display at 198, (120gb version) but I mentioned it was 150 down south,so 150 it was for a 160gb :)

A lot better than I was expecting it to be, even straight out the box (using it to type this),need to do the upgrades now...

What memory does it run and where's best to get it and is the Windows operating system worth installing?

Be interesting to see if this happens, Esmeralda.........

Nikki Jay said on 12th January 2009

Got this with XP and 1gb RAM. Absolutely loved it. Did everything I wanted it too and more. Took it virtually everywhere with me. Then just after I had finished raving about it to anyone who would listen, I pickedit up with one hand and must have held the underside a bit more firmly than usual. Of course, the next time I powered up, couldn't type because half the keys were now typing the uppercase, which has happened to me before on other thin laptops over the years, but I have always previously been able to find a fix around. Not so for this little acer aspire. There must be some extra sensitive soft spot on the underside and came to the conclusion it was a physical soft spot and mechanical damage had been done. Fortunately this happened before day 28 so was able to return. Now I am without a notebook and starting my search again. Just wanted to log this for the record as I can't imagine I will be the only person to come across this issue...

Now, that's the one I'd fancy, but I do wonder how much of an improvement over my aging JVC Mininote I'd see. The extra hard drive space would be nice though.

That's the one I fancied, the bigger screen is a boon, it'll be interesting to see how you get on with it :)

I'll let you know how i get on with it, isnt due for another day or two i think, ordered 2gb of RAM for it as well (y)

Be interesting to see if this happens, Esmeralda.........

Nikki Jay said on 12th January 2009

Got this with XP and 1gb RAM. Absolutely loved it. Did everything I wanted it too and more. Took it virtually everywhere with me. Then just after I had finished raving about it to anyone who would listen, I pickedit up with one hand and must have held the underside a bit more firmly than usual. Of course, the next time I powered up, couldn't type because half the keys were now typing the uppercase, which has happened to me before on other thin laptops over the years, but I have always previously been able to find a fix around. Not so for this little acer aspire. There must be some extra sensitive soft spot on the underside and came to the conclusion it was a physical soft spot and mechanical damage had been done. Fortunately this happened before day 28 so was able to return. Now I am without a notebook and starting my search again. Just wanted to log this for the record as I can't imagine I will be the only person to come across this issue...

The words "ham" and "fisted" spring to mind :LOL:

Looks like a bit of a (warranty-invalidating) pig to get to the memory on these....think I'll leave mine alone and just pretty-up the display

I'll let you know how i get on with it, isnt due for another day or two i think, ordered 2gb of RAM for it as well (y)

Where did you get the memory from?

I'd be interested to know how well the Samsung or any of the other netbooks handle something like Lightroom.

Looks like a bit of a (warranty-invalidating) pig to get to the memory on these....think I'll leave mine alone and just pretty-up the display

It's really a lot better than it looks and it should take no more that 20 mins for your first attempt.

I've got it down to a fine art and can do it in 6-7 mins from shutdown to boot up, and thats for the WIFI and ram upgrade :)

As for invalidating the warranty, i thought something happened a while ago regarding making machines non-user-upgradeable :shrug: :thinking:

other than the different bits when they take it apart;)

Where did you get the memory from?

I'd be interested to know how well the Samsung or any of the other netbooks handle something like Lightroom.

Ordered it from Amazon. Lightroom is going to be my first install so im looking forward to seeing how fast it can handle some of my raw files!

It's really a lot better than it looks and it should take no more that 20 mins for your first attempt.

I've got it down to a fine art and can do it in 6-7 mins from shutdown to boot up, and thats for the WIFI and ram upgrade :)

As for invalidating the warranty, i thought something happened a while ago regarding making machines non-user-upgradeable :shrug: :thinking:

I'm actually surprised how fast the wee thing is with just 512mb, but I'll no doubt have a go at the upgrade at some point when I get bored :LOL:

Last night's entertainment was tinkering about with Linux to get rid of that awful interface...

3233348337_a6616715f7.jpg

plus I treated it to a leather carry case from Fleabay, as it's a bit of a fingerprint magnet :bang:

Just wondering if anyone has tried tethering one of these to a DSLR. I am very tempted to get one for backing up images to a external drive while I am on long trips and for web surfing. But being able to tether would really seal the deal for me. I use the Nikon Camera Control Pro software and it states it needs at least 768 pixels but all netbooks are 600. Just thought I would ask here since so many folks have been trying them out. Thanks

Well, my NC10 arrived today! Yes, Royal Mail did indeed deliver on time!

My first thoughts were just how small it actually is (i know its a netbook, but still). Im just after firing the 2gb RAM into it and it runs nicely. Havnt had a chance to put Lightroom onto it yet but ill let you know how i get on.

Well, my NC10 arrived today! Yes, Royal Mail did indeed deliver on time!

My first thoughts were just how small it actually is (i know its a netbook, but still). Im just after firing the 2gb RAM into it and it runs nicely. Havnt had a chance to put Lightroom onto it yet but ill let you know how i get on.

(y) I'll be putting it on the Acer at some point too, once I get the nerve up to install Windows :LOL:

Saw this thread last night and got one from Asda this morning:) Didn't Expect them to have any left tbh.

Not done much more than turn it on but the fan seems much louder than I expected, as if it is running on full all the time. Does anyone else have this problem?

(y)

Did you get all your issues sorted?

lol, yeah, but then i returned it for a refund when i realise the week that i had it, i used it as a Divx player on the train to work. The money can be better spent so i got a refund.

Might get it or another model at some point, especially if they release one with a longer battery life.

how well do these things run office apps? No problem I'm guessing?

Saw this thread last night and got one from Asda this morning:) Didn't Expect them to have any left tbh.

Not done much more than turn it on but the fan seems much louder than I expected, as if it is running on full all the time. Does anyone else have this problem?

It's a common problem - here's how to fix it

office runs fine.

You get openoffice as part of the Linux distro that's built in.

Office 2003 runs fine under tinyXP with 512mb and office 2008 runs fine under osx ( my os of choice on these machines)

Obviously they run even better with the full 1.5gb of memory ;)

The Acer One user forums have a few good articles on installing Windows using either a USB stick or SD card... I just sent my ex an SD card set up to install Windows on her Acer One, as she can't stand Linux:D

I can run Nikons Camera Control from my netbook - but I don't do any processing on it, just storage. Got an 80GB drive in it, going to be 320GB in the near future.

Anyone tried Lightroom 2 on their netbook yet?

Yes. For a 1DS Mark III RAW file (21mp) from the time you press D in gallery view to being ready to make adjustments takes 10-12 seconds.

This is on a MSI wind with a 5400 RPM drive and 2gb of ram running OSX 10.5.6 and Lightroom 2.2.

It tends to be a little faster if you tell it to render 1:1 previews when importing, but then the importing process takes ages and ages.

ahha...just found this thread.

Im off an a little round the world jaunt for 12 months and taking a lot of camera gear with me but don't want to take a bulky laptop, these net books look ideal

I face a couple of probs though....

Editing photos on the road in lightroom 2 - Are they up to the job (canon 40D Raw files)
How would I burn my edited photos to a disk for sending home.

if the Samsung NC10 (or another model) can do this then Im going to have to get one I think!!

ahha...just found this thread.

Im off an a little round the world jaunt for 12 months and taking a lot of camera gear with me but don't want to take a bulky laptop, these net books look ideal

I face a couple of probs though....

Editing photos on the road in lightroom 2 - Are they up to the job (canon 40D Raw files)
How would I burn my edited photos to a disk for sending home.

if the Samsung NC10 (or another model) can do this then Im going to have to get one I think!!

You could take an external drive with you, alternatively, get some webspace and an ftp account and just ftp all your images to your server whenever you get access to a net connection on the road :)

I'm buying the new Dell 9" Mini. Looks gorgeous.

Back