NEW NIK Collection 2018 by DxO

Name
Jasmine
Edit My Images
No
The new NIK Collection by DxO is available.

Free trial | Discounted offer price $49.99 | Nornal price $69

NIK COLLECTION 2018 BY DxO

Express your artistic sensitivity with creative, powerful and easy-access Nik Collection 2018 by DxO plugins.

Nik Collection by DxO is a series of 7 creative plugins for MacOS*, Windows* and Adobe CC, providing filters, rendering and photography retouching tools to create stunning images.

It leverages the U-PointTM technology for localized adjustments, and adds a full set of editing functionalities for amazing pictures: your pictures.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Can't get the system to send me the email confirmation for the trial download, tried twice but not receiving it. :(

Working for me. Downloaded and instilled it earlier and now taking a look at them.

Oh well, not in Spam anywhere so won't get to try it.

Tried a 2nd email address and just got a link to sign-up to their email list ... no sign of any download link.
Weird, especially as I signed up months ago for an alert when it became available.

Possibly just an attempt to fix stability issues and update to support the new PS and LR versiones.

Bloody nerve.

I paid for Nik a couple of months before google made it free and stopped supported / updating it.
Stuffed if I'm paying again for the same thing.

They will now provide support. So you pay them $50 to be a beta-tester for them :) :) :)
:eek::dummy::D:D
hope i haven't lost my backup copy,
i think the fact that they have filled for bankruptcy means its not a great time to buy it and trust they will keep support going.

:eek::dummy::D:D
hope i haven't lost my backup copy,
i think the fact that they have filled for bankruptcy means its not a great time to buy it and trust they will keep support going.

Maybe. You can still download the free versions from both Google and DxO servers if that helps.

I had a quick try just to see what the 7 plugins are, nothing very good and could make better one in my other editing software. Uninstalled it, then just re-downloaded the free one I had before.
:rolleyes:

I downloaded it a month ago for free...

... and DXO opticspro 11

You get 7 plugins with it and thats all I know, crazy but I have just re-downloaded it for the 30 day trial. I only ever had the free version, but as I buy a lot of software I actually think I will buy this.

But it’s the same plugins as the free version. From what I can see, there’s nothing new.

But it’s the same plugins as the free version. From what I can see, there’s nothing new.

Does the original version have the U-Point technology it or if so as functional as this 'newer' release???

Ah! I live & learn

I surmise that unless the https://nikcollection.dxo.com/what-s-new/ represents value for money for previous users (I tried it a good while ago and never used it much!) or new users then they are going to get pushback???

That’s what I read and all it says is it now works with the latest versions of OS, LR, PS and a selective brush tool works now properly which is essentialy masking in PS. That’ll be £50 thank you.

When NIK started playing up with the newer version of LR and PS, a started looking into luminosity masking instead so I think I’ll be sticking with that.

I think that to stand back and take a longer view, right now it might be about the same but over time it'll be developed at least to keep pace with newer os's & apps, but not least isn't there a plan to incorporate the u-point capability into the DxO Photolab software?

Ah - looks like it's in there already!

A pretty competitive and well-featured app there, then (Photolab).

Last edited:
I think that to stand back and take a longer view, right now it might be about the same but over time it'll be developed at least to keep pace with newer os's & apps, but not least isn't there a plan to incorporate the u-point capability into the DxO Photolab software?

Ah - looks like it's in there already!

A pretty competitive and well-featured app there, then (Photolab).

Yes, it's already in the photolabs app. I trialled that and whilst you can apply adjustments using the u-point technology there are none of the presets that the NIK collection had.

Well, this doesn't bode well.

I thought I have a look and see if they have changed anything.

"REGISTRATION ERROR, Please contact the DxO technical support to solve this problem"

Jesus, for $50 you'd think the installer would at least work!!

Slightly concerned this is a grab to get some cash in to help with their restructure out of bankruptcy. The original NIK stuff was well thought out stuff, and the control points a genius move at the time - the problem is almost certainly those clever people have been absorbed into Google, so what's for the future?

This initial release looks to just be a recompile in 64 bit mode - nothing more, certainly no features that are obvious and the UI still scales poorly etc. I'm sure it took more work than I think to get it working in 64b bit etc, but essentially that's all it is.

Not sure about this one. I hope I'm wrong and it goes on to bring new an innovative ways of working back to the table in the next release.

Sure that the company's main thrust is the Photolab app. The Nik plug-in stuff is just trinkets by comparison and remember that Google charged rip-off bucks for it at one time. The U-point technology now embedded in Photolab lifts that program up a notch, and we might assume that that's why DxO bought the Nik stuff.

Very impressed with DX0 support. My NIK suite hadn't been working for some months and the new DX0 install didn't fix the problem. I opened a case with DX0 and they replied to most messages within an hour or so. After a few exchanges they asked me to do some stuff in the terminal which I didn't really understand or feel safe mucking around with so they got one of their development engineers to take remote control of my system and fix it for me. Very friendly and efficient, easily the best software support I've ever had.

Very impressed with DX0 support. My NIK suite hadn't been working for some months and the new DX0 install didn't fix the problem. I opened a case with DX0 and they replied to most messages within an hour or so. After a few exchanges they asked me to do some stuff in the terminal which I didn't really understand or feel safe mucking around with so they got one of their development engineers to take remote control of my system and fix it for me. Very friendly and efficient, easily the best software support I've ever had.
That's good. Have you paid for the software and sent the support request after this? We sent in a list of the annoying problems that are still present in this upgrade version on the day they launched it. We have still to get a reply about it but we are still only using the trial version.

That's good. Have you paid for the software and sent the support request after this? We sent in a list of the annoying problems that are still present in this upgrade version on the day they launched it. We have still to get a reply about it but we are still only using the trial version.

Yes, I skipped the trial and paid straight away. I suppose they have a huge number of support requests at this early stage so prioritise the paid ones. I'm one of the early Nik users who originally paid several hundred pounds for the full suite back in the day... so thirty odd quid to get it working again seems pretty reasonable! I'm sure it cost DX0 more than thirty quid to have a couple of skilled engineers poke around my system for three quarters of an hour to get it going again anyway! :)

DxO claims it was a fair bit of work to bring the code up to date. I wonder how well it was documented? From the press blurb:

Since the acquisition of the Nik Collection from Google in late 2017, the DxO development team has spent several months analyzing and optimizing the code of the seven plugins that make up the software suite to make them stable and operational. “The process was long and complex,” explained Bruno Sayakhom, Product Owner at DxO. “It was necessary to recover and recompile source code that had not been maintained for a long time in order to make it compatible with the latest versions of Adobe products and the latest Apple OS updates. This is a first step that allows us to start afresh.”

But if you're happy with the old version on your current OS and image editor, and don't need support, this is probably one to skip. Hopefully they'll make useful additions to future versions.

Doesn't seem like you can upgrade from one version to the other, (Essential to Elite), have to buy the whole programme!

Back