New Nikon AF-P Dx vr 70-300mm

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
No
Having purchased my Nikon d5500 in early June I now feel that I have got to grips with the cameras settings and qualities.
Looking now to buy a telephoto lens to add to my kit lens that it came with (af-p18-55mm)
I've been going to a lot of Motorsport events recently and I'm undecided to which lens to get now
Was going to get a second hand Nikon af-s 70-300mm vr but now Nikon are releasing the new af-p 70-300 vr
http://nikon.com/news/2016/0817_lens_02.htm
Are there any advantages on the older lens apart from larger aperture at the 300mm end or will the ap-s lens focus faster
Undecided which one to get nowo_O
Many thx

Last edited:
Without reading all the speil, i would hazard a guess that the new model will be alot lighter as it is a DX variant rather than FX. The older model will be better built i would have thought. Focussing speed tests will have to wait until release i guess.

From what I have read, the new AF-P lenses have been introduced for the use of video as the step motor is going to be quieter than the older models. Nikon reckon they will be faster AF, will have to wait and see I suppose.

You will have to wait and see how much these lenses are and weigh up the cost over the older model.

Myself, I would also consider the Tamron 70-300mm VC model, which I have owned three of, and a lens I preferred over the Nikon 70-300mm VR version, for me the Tamron had more pop with the photos.

Try them out at your local stockists.

Tamron > http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...duct=1520737&gclid=cilvzs6fzc4cfq2rgwodlqgg6q

I would hold fire until some results are printed,as Simon stated above the Tamron VC could give the Nikon a run for its money and even beat it,the weakness of these two lenses though was at 300mm Nikon might have improved it with these.

Looking at the two lens on the Nikon website the new DX lens is smaller and about 60% of the weight of the FX lens. Also says the VR is 4 stops against 3 stop for the older lens. As for focusing speeds etc one would hope it would be better on the new lens.

What kind of budget are you looking at? The 70-300 vr can be had for £200-230 second hand which makes it an excellent buy. There isn't much info on the new dx 70-300 apart from the smaller aperture. Not sure what price they would be looking at new but I would expect it to be in the £400 range. It's interesting they are releasing a vr and non vr version of the same lens.whats the maximum aperture the d5500 can focus reliably at? I know the d7200 is f8 but not sure on the d5500. I'm not sure weight comes into the equation as the 70-300 isn't exactly heavy.

Edit the prices are £299 and £349 for the non vr and the vr versions.

Last edited:
Obvious need for research with the new one...
Because AF-P lenses incorporate a stepping motor, the number of compatible cameras is limited. Even for compatible cameras, firmware update may be required.

I know a couple of togs who have the Nikon AFS VR 70-300mm and the quality is very impressive also as mentioned the Tamron VC is capable of excellent results.
I guess it will be a case of budget and what's available when you take the plunge ?
I don't think either will disappoint quality wise :)

Last edited:
Back